How have I missed this?

on March 17, 2007 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 15 comments by

Isaiah 53:5

But He was pierced for our transgressions,

He was crushed for our iniquities,

THE PUNISHMENT THAT BROUGHT US PEACE WAS UPON HIM,

and by His wounds we are healed.

I have honestly been sitting in my big white chair for 35 minutes thinking about that one line. I’ve looked at about 20 different versions and dissected each word (thank you, biblegateway.com). The verse is one we hear often, I think, especially the part about “by His wounds we are healed”. But how have I missed the fact that the punishment that brought me PEACE was on HIM?

I still don’t even know that I totally get what that means. Call me slow, but I guess I didn’t realize peace came at a price. I mean, I think about wars and I understand that when it comes to our safety and our country’s peace, someone is paying that price. But I guess I haven’t really thought about the fact that to live in personal peace, in my heart, Someone paid for that as well. I know He paid for my sins and my healing, but peace? Who knew. (Probably you, but you’re just wiser than me. We’ve known it for a while.)

I can’t shake it. I can’t move my mind to another idea. Because the next question that comes up is this- How many times do I CHOOSE to live in unrest instead of living in the peace that Jesus has already been punished for? It is mine for the taking, and yet I’d rather worry? Good gravy.

No wonder Jesus talked to people about not worrying. He was saying, “Look, I’m about to get seriously punished so that you don’t have to live your life full of worry. So why don’t I go ahead and give you a heads up- choose peace. I’m going to go ahead and pay for it, so take it.”

That’s LOVE. He really went through it for me. I still don’t think I understand it. But I am deeply grateful.

Thoughts, anybody?
Ryan? Aaron? Brad?

(You can blame this too-deep-for-a-Saturday-morning conversation on “Glory Revealed” Track 2.)

1. brad
    posted on Mar 17, 2007 at 6:09 PM  |  reply

Dangit, Glory Revealed! Why do you take me deeper, even on a Saturday morning?! Seriously, Nan and I play this CD constantly in the house and it is amazing how quickly the kids pick up on the lyrics/God’s word. Heck, it is amazing how it ministers to me as well.

The song that comes to mind after reading your post is “Jesus Paid it All.” All of it–our debt, our sin, our shame. I read that you had “the bug” the other day. When you were finally healed, did you feel peace? With true healing, peace comes.

2. Jennie B
    posted on Mar 18, 2007 at 12:47 AM  |  reply

Glory Revealed!! You’re blogging about my favorite CD! Wow, I knew I liked you…

3. Aaron
    posted on Mar 18, 2007 at 2:43 AM  |  reply

i have an answer that focuses around peace being more that calmness and contentment. BUT i dont have time to write it out tonight. i will shoot you comment tomorrow with some thoughts.

4. GARRICK IN ATLANTA, GA
    posted on Mar 18, 2007 at 9:01 AM  |  reply

Good thoughts. I think what you are discovering is an implication of a bigger picture this verse is conveying. This is what is cool about the Bible (among other things): there’s always enough to keep us thinking, growing and seeing things in a new way. I’ll let someone else cover this “bigger picture” and spare you from words like expiation and propitiation.

You should check out my latest blog. I mention you and turned a quote you made into an idea for a romantic comedy.

5. AmyFritch
    posted on Mar 18, 2007 at 9:06 PM  |  reply

Ok, so I’m just noticing that Brad has made it to your list of blog links. Is there an application for this? I mean, Brad’s only had a blog for 2 whole days. Is there an eligibility list that I’m clearly not aware of. Am I just not good enough to enroll as a link on your blogspace? I thought we were friends, Annie. I really did. Don’t block me out.

6. GARRICK IN ATLANTA, GA
    posted on Mar 19, 2007 at 4:16 AM  |  reply

Yeah. Well. Can’t compete with that.

Yes, I had to google that. More You’ve Got Mail than one man can handle. I’ve really emasculated myself just to get a blog reaction.

7. Boggsy
    posted on Mar 19, 2007 at 5:29 AM  |  reply

i agree w/ amy!! what does a guy have to do to get on somebody’s links? we’ve been friends for how long?! this goes to everybody else i know who reads annie’s blogs…i mean, hook a brother up and boost his lowly self-esteem!

8. Annie
    posted on Mar 19, 2007 at 9:25 AM  |  reply

My apologies, Justin and Amy. Consider my inconsiderate mistake repaired.

9. brad
    posted on Mar 19, 2007 at 2:42 PM  |  reply

Justin and Amy! Don’t try to hate on me where you think I won’t see you! You both were jazzed that I started a blog on my site and then I see this? Black Monday. I think Annie was just surprised I could compose a complete sentence and felt sorry for me.

10. AmyFritch
    posted on Mar 19, 2007 at 3:30 PM  |  reply

Clearly, I’ve opened a can of worms. Nobody wants worms.

Annie, thanks for the link. I think you are the queen of blog-dom.

11. Boggsy
    posted on Mar 19, 2007 at 7:37 PM  |  reply

I was just kidding as well…no worms in cans being opened here. I was just playing along…my bad if it was taken personal. Brad, I love you…

12. Annie
    posted on Mar 19, 2007 at 8:33 PM  |  reply

It makes me scared when y’all fight. I’m going to my room and turning my radio up loud.

13. AmyFritch
    posted on Mar 20, 2007 at 12:37 AM  |  reply

this is Mark. Whenever Brad…or Amy, for that matter, yell at me, I usually curl up in the fetal position, suck my thumb, and hum the theme to The Dukes of Hazzard.
    It’s weird, but it works.

14. Aaron
    posted on Mar 20, 2007 at 4:32 AM  |  reply

Well here are my thoughts on punishment bringing peace. So much of what what we think o about peace comes from Webster:
    Peace:
    1. freedom from war, or the time when a war or conflict ends
    2. a state of mental calm and serenity, with no anxiety
    3. a treaty agreeing to an end of hostilities between two warring parties
    4. the absence of violence or other disturbances within a state
    5. freedom from conflict or disagreement among people or groups of people

I really don’t see my self as an expert on what I am about to write but merely what I have learned lately. The Hebrew word for Peace is Shalom and I think it is the key I think in this text. Shalom doesn’t just mean freedom from war but it also means wholeness and fulfillment. So my thought is that the punishment put on Jesus brought us wholeness and fulfillment. Without Jesus absorbing our punishment and the wrath that we deserve, God would not be a just God, and we would never have the chance to be made whole.

Ok so those are my thoughts.

Also, thanks for calling me smart. Usually if the word smart is used in my direction the word ass tends to follow: )

15. Annie
    posted on Mar 20, 2007 at 9:32 AM  |  reply

Wow… you people are good at what you do. Thanks for your input. I think I hit some personal comment record on this one. Probably because Camille and Aaron convicted me to respond to your comments.