Hooty-hoot.

on November 6, 2007 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 10 comments by

I’m pretty excited about this blog. Because I am blogging from the Kennesaw State University computer lab. Most of our classes are off campus, but we are getting to be on campus for November and December. Maybe I should attempt to blog from different locations this month? [Slow down, sister. One challenge at a time.]

It’s kinda fun to be in college again and being on a campus as a student. Don’t get me wrong. If I had my choosing, I would be walking at Kennesaw Mountain with Haley and Molly. But this hasn’t been so bad.

Here are some benefits to being in grad school 2 nights a week:

1) My budget has benefited greatly. You’d be surprised how much money I save by losing two social nights a week. I’m very popular, you see. [insert sarcasm here]

2) New friends. Overachievers, but the nice kind. Not the get-out-of-my-way kind. I don’t like those. I definitely scrape the bottom of the achievement barrel in this group. And I am so okay with that.

3) The end result [don’t call me out on “process” right now] is getting a raise for gaining this degree. I often have to look back at the salary pay scale to remind myself how good this will be. As in, I won’t be eating lima beans as the main course at dinner, except by choice.

4) Some old college skills have returned, such as stalking people in the parking deck to get their parking spot. We called it “vulturizing” at UGA. It’s like riding a bike- it took no time to jump right back into it.

5) I pass lots of cute boys walking to class. But let’s be honest, most of them were born when I was in middle school and it makes me feel like a bad person when I remember that.

So, it’s kinda sad that I can only think of 5 good reasons to be in college again (and one of them is mildly inappropriate). I guess I should say something about expanding my mind or improving as an educator…. blah blah blah. Fill in the blank here with whatever you wish your child’s teacher would say about getting her master’s degree.

And “hooty-hoot” refers to the KSU Owls. Just so you know.

Class is getting ready to start. The computer lab is so cold that the tips of my fingers are almost numb. Right now, I wish I was a real owl. They have feathers. And no fingers.

1. brad
    posted on Nov 06, 2007 at 10:02 PM  |  reply

Study hard, my friend! I am proud of you for going to grad school. Makes me want to go back and get my GED. Just kidding.

2. Annie
    posted on Nov 06, 2007 at 10:03 PM  |  reply

When I laugh outloud in class, the teacher stops lecturing and looks at me strangely.

Thanks a lot, Brad.

3. molly
    posted on Nov 07, 2007 at 12:10 AM  |  reply

What about when your friend calls during class and you forget to put the phone on silent? I love that you sent me a follow up text.

4. leahcurtright
    posted on Nov 07, 2007 at 1:55 AM  |  reply

You’re so gonna love that pay raise! It’s incredible.

5. Sharliss Jane Arnold
    posted on Nov 07, 2007 at 2:37 AM  |  reply

Annie, you are my hero! I started my blog because of you, no I am not a writer but I am in need of staying in touch with “the ones” close to me in Georgia while here in Tennessee. The journey with Kaye has been tough but my fingers moving across this keyboard has helped me vent so much. Thanks for being just you! I pray I can be “just like you, a teacher through this thing called Blog”.

6. ManUtd17
    posted on Nov 07, 2007 at 2:42 AM  |  reply

My sister finished her master’s at GSU a couple of years ago. The raise will come in handy. Think of all the Phil Wickham swag you can buy with the extree coinage.

7. carolineb
    posted on Nov 07, 2007 at 3:02 AM  |  reply

That Downs bunch don’t do nuthin halfway. Glad to know you.

8. Sally
    posted on Nov 07, 2007 at 3:49 AM  |  reply

annie, i have started my own little group…
    NaReAnBloMo (National Read Annie’s Blog Month). its a sad thing when i only know what is going on in the life of my sister because of her blog. oh well i guess i will take what i get, considering we are both such busy girls with college and jobs and being so popular and all. love you and war eagle! (sorry it is in my blood, i cant help it)

9. Marie-Claire
    posted on Nov 07, 2007 at 3:50 AM  |  reply

I love lima beans. But I can’t afford them.

10. Meimi
    posted on Nov 15, 2007 at 7:53 PM  |  reply

Hey Annie. It’s your old roomie! I found your blog through your Myspace and it’s adorable. I felt the need to comment because I also feel weird when I think Georgia football players are cute. Not old enough to be their mother, but definitely their babysitter.