I rock a mommy-mobile.

on January 7, 2008 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 15 comments by

So, remember back in November when I got in a wreck? Today is the day that I finally got to put my car in the shop to get it repaired. This is what I drive- a 2003 Toyota Camry. And no, that’s not me behind the wheel. That’s my bodyguard. I don’t trust him with my camera- just my car. And my life.

So anyways, during school today I got on the phone to [unnamed car rental place] to secure a vehicle for the next few days.

“And what kind of car would you like, Ms. Downs?”

Um… something cheap. I’m thinking something sorta like my camry. Maybe a bit smaller. Do you have that today?”

“Yes, ma’am. Just come on up here and we’ll get it for you.”

And you DO have something in that price range, correct?

“Yes ma’am.”

Fast forward to arriving at [unnamed car rental place].

“Hi Ms. Downs. We’ve got your vehicle ready for you.”

And then THIS drives around the corner.

Uh, I’m sorry… but did my Mom’s minivan get pregnant and birth THIS? It’s a baby minivan! That’s not a car. That’s certainly not smaller than my Camry. I don’t even think it’s an SUV. Did someone think I said “Caravan” instead of “Camry”? Possibly. And I’ll be honest, this is a very flattering picture. You are very photogenic, Kia Rondo. Cause you ain’t that purdy in real life.

And no, this babymini is not exactly in my price range. Nor my age bracket.

So, I called the store and I’m trading babymini in tomorrow.

But only after I go through a few carpool lines, stop by the grocery store for some apple juice boxes and gummy snacks, and load the kids up for their soccer games.

1. leahcurtright
    posted on Jan 08, 2008 at 12:40 AM  |  reply

hey girl, just ’cause you’re twenty-something doesn’t mean you can’t drive a mini! 😉

2. Shannon
    posted on Jan 08, 2008 at 12:47 AM  |  reply

If I were you, I would hit up the McDonalds drive thru and order five happy meals just for the fun of it!

3. steve and randel hambrick
    posted on Jan 08, 2008 at 1:33 AM  |  reply

don’t make too much fun- it will be you before too long!!! 🙂

4. Katie
    posted on Jan 08, 2008 at 2:55 AM  |  reply

The girls will be waiting for you at 9am tomorrow morning to come take them through the carpool line at 1st Methodist. They wanted me to make sure it has a DVD player first, though.

5. Annie
    posted on Jan 08, 2008 at 4:24 AM  |  reply

Mamas, this is totally not mocking you. Just mocking ME pretending to be YOU.

Shannon, girl, you know I can’t do that- got weddings to be in this summer. Raise your hand if you could POSSIBLY eat five happy meals?

Annie, put your hand down.

6. Marie-Claire
    posted on Jan 08, 2008 at 5:50 AM  |  reply

I can’t believe you couldn’t suck it up and drive it for the next few days. You patsy.

7. Annie
    posted on Jan 08, 2008 at 11:12 AM  |  reply

Marie, for starters, it’s mainly a moola decision. You want me to eat sushi tonight or not? Gah.

Secondly, did you call me a “patsy”? What even is that? Should I be offended or did you mean to call me by the lunch lady’s name?

8. Heather
    posted on Jan 08, 2008 at 12:18 PM  |  reply

Oh I remember the day when we traded in our camry for our minivan. What a sad day for me it was. I wanted a 4-runner and hubby said we needed to be practical since we were adding to the family and all …. I thought we would just throw the oldest in the back and be done but he said they ALL needed car seats …. the nerve! Just kidding I really didn’t think I’d throw them in the back but I really wanted that 4-runner B.A.D! needless to say … I’m driving the carpool minivan …..

9. Marie-Claire
    posted on Jan 08, 2008 at 4:58 PM  |  reply

I don’t know if I used it in the right context but here’s a situation that you could use it in: “Ohio State is only considered to be a great team party because they are in a patsy conference”. It can be a adjective or a noun (not really, but let’s just say it can).

My dad said the above example yesterday and I liked the word alot so I wanted to call someone one.

10. Marie-Claire
    posted on Jan 08, 2008 at 5:02 PM  |  reply

*partly.

Also, what I thought when I saw the Rondo was that it was a minivan version of your car, maybe God is telling you to adopt 4 kids. “I have given you what you need to deal with what’s coming”. These kinds of things.

11. Shannon
    posted on Jan 08, 2008 at 10:29 PM  |  reply

I didn’t mean EAT five happy meals. You could give them to homeless people or some of your students and share the wealth…

12. carolineb
    posted on Jan 09, 2008 at 3:26 AM  |  reply

Yea, Annie, I wanna happy meal!

13. Katie B
    posted on Jan 09, 2008 at 4:18 AM  |  reply

This one’s gonna bite you in the butt one day… Just look at Amy Fritchy. 🙂

We missed you tonight.

wv:suyhk

14. Kat
    posted on Jan 10, 2008 at 4:29 AM  |  reply

You could just get a temporary nosering to balance out the minivan look.

Oh, and be sure to leat a cup of milk in there overnight so that it will have that true minivan smell…

15. Jake
    posted on Jan 10, 2008 at 5:32 PM  |  reply

What no one has commented on is the Camry picture. Coming over the horizon, glimmering in the sun like that, it looks like some sort of hero here to save the day.
    Or maybe saving something else, right, Annie?
    :-)M