Pure inequity.

on January 16, 2008 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 13 comments by

It’s just not fair.

My younger sister Tatum and I both got haircuts this week. I’m going to let you see the pictures and you can decide who gave the hairdresser a high five and who gave her a one finger salute.

Still not sure? Ok, that offends me a little bit, but maybe this picture will help.

Yep. Poor Tay-tay. Got the ole “I love acute angles” cut. I’m a math teacher and I’m telling you, that’s about a 42 degree angle. (Tatum says it’s obtuse. Angles are in the eye of the beholder, I guess.) Honestly, I don’t think it is that bad, but she doesn’t love it. I told her she’s lucky; there are people all over the world who wish they had that much hair. Example numero uno- our father. But I’m not sure Dad would trade his quasi-baldness for this math masterpiece. Tatum, I start teaching geometry in March- will you come to my class?

I thought it would be an AWESOME idea to take a picture of myself this morning pre-haircut. Truly, I think of you at 5:45am. It’s sick. And it was an awesome idea until I saw what a picture of me at 5:45am looks like. But I figure if Tatum gets to look that rad, I can put up a mildly scary blonde picture.

That’s really the joy of this haircut. The color. Brown is all the rage. [Because if there is one thing that I am, it is fashion forward.] Notice I’m also wearing my favorite fleece. This, my friends, was no accident.

Please excuse my sleepy eyes in the pre-cut picture. The time I have to rise is bad for my health, I’m convinced.

And because life is hilarious, Tatum just muttered to herself as she walked out of my room, “Oh, this haircut is the bane of my existence. I bought Mane ‘n Tail. It’s not just for horses. There are human directions, too. It makes your hair grow faster. I googled it last night, what to do when you get a bad hair cut.”

So through my uncontrollable laughter, I asked to see this Mane ‘n Tail.

The best tip on the back?

“KEEP OUT OF EYES AND MUCOUS MEMBRANES.”

Remember that, Tatum. You’d hate to have rapid hair growth in your mucous membranes.

*and before anyone poops a brick, Tatum has edited this before I posted it. Listen, we’re not in middle… ahem… high school anymore.*

1. Marie-Claire
    posted on Jan 16, 2008 at 4:25 AM  |  reply

I just laughed real loud in the student center. But no one heard me, because they were too busy laughing at college.

I LOVE your hair. Tatum- and I am not someone to say things like this- it’s not so horrible!! I never would have thought of it as funny, probably. Just act like you love it. That’s the secret to pulling anything off.

2. Kristi
    posted on Jan 16, 2008 at 1:58 PM  |  reply

Oh, Tatum…just say no to the Mane n Tail. I used that stuff in middle school and pretty soon…my hair DID feel like a horse’s mane. I can’t describe it, but it wasn’t natural.

Plus, I agree with the comment above. Your hair is not bad. I would have never thought anything about angles ’til your sister pointed it out. Maybe do an “ear tuck”?…but never the Mane n Tail.

3. Amy Downs Rakes
    posted on Jan 16, 2008 at 2:12 PM  |  reply

I love both of the cuts!

Annie – You and I might actually look a little bit related now. No way I could have a blond cousin with blue eyes.

Tatum – Step away from the Main n Tail. I used it in middle school and it’s some nasty stuff. It only makes your hair longer because it weighs it down flat against your scalp. Go for the Garnier Fructis Length & Strength instead. And, for the record, I would kill for that haircut. Some of us were “blessed” with fine, thin, flippy hair that would never stay in an actual cut.

4. Sally (the other sister)
    posted on Jan 16, 2008 at 2:59 PM  |  reply

well i am mad. my hair looks like limp noodles on my head and both of you got cute hair cuts. this just isnt right. i am the sister in college who is suppose to be fashion forward and have cute angled hair cuts. now you both look beautiful (yes tatum i think your hair cut is beautiful) and i look like the reject sister…i guess i am going to have to get a haircut this week so i do not bring shame upon our family.

5. carolineb
    posted on Jan 16, 2008 at 6:19 PM  |  reply

First, Sally will be the last Downs girl to bring shame upon the family as she is practically perfect in every way.

Number B, tell TayTay to keep her chin up. It reduces the angle. That’s what I do.

3: I wish I was a Downs girl.

6. carolineb
    posted on Jan 16, 2008 at 6:20 PM  |  reply

Great, Annie. Now I’m going to have to get brown hair. That stuff is good.

7. Candace
    posted on Jan 16, 2008 at 8:00 PM  |  reply

Are you kidding? That’s the angled bob. I brought that thing in 2003 and rocked it till 2006 when I was tired of getting my hair cut every 6 weeks. Tatum, I LOVE it!! Keep the angled bob–I wish I could!

8. jenny
    posted on Jan 16, 2008 at 9:18 PM  |  reply

oh rat-a-tat-tatum, I think it’s CUTE!

9. brad
    posted on Jan 16, 2008 at 10:59 PM  |  reply

Working out at the Y…drastic hair style change…all signs say you are having an affair.

10. Katie
    posted on Jan 16, 2008 at 11:40 PM  |  reply

I hope my girls post something like this one day!

11. steve and randel hambrick
    posted on Jan 17, 2008 at 1:35 AM  |  reply

ok, so the angled cut is OUT now? i’m so passe…. i LIKE it tater

12. anna mo
    posted on Jan 17, 2008 at 6:18 AM  |  reply

there are tears rolling down my cheeks right now. i love you tatum.

13. AshWard
    posted on Jan 18, 2008 at 8:56 PM  |  reply

Tatum, I really like it, I think you look great.

Annie, I LOVE the brown. you look good!