Need a little Compassion?

on February 14, 2008 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 15 comments by

I just decided to sponsor my first Compassion child.

Well done, bloggers in Uganda. You made me cry. And now I’m spending a mere $32 a month to sponsor 5 year old Fred.

And I won’t regret it for a minute.

He looks like the coolest dude. I mean, check that face out! I laughed out loud, through my tears, and then I clicked “sign me up and let me give that kid a hug!”. Ok, that’s not what the button says, but it’s what it said to me. And now, a Compassion rep will give Fred a hug. From me. His sponsor.

Tell me that doesn’t make you smile. Fred, people. His name is Fred. That’s priceless.

Maybe you should sponsor a kid, too.

1. Chip
    posted on Feb 14, 2008 at 5:34 AM  |  reply

He would be THE coolest pre-camper. Congratulations to you. And congratulations to Fred … he’s getting one heck of a sponsor. I can just see his angelic face the first time he gets a translated letter from you. Dazed and confused, but happy.

2. Harrison...
    posted on Feb 14, 2008 at 6:25 AM  |  reply

It would be kool if they had a “hug button” on the website and you could “hug” kids just like you “poke” people on facebook. On the other hand I’m glad they dont have a “poke” button on the compassion site because then there would just be too much explaining to do about the whole “poking” children thing.

How appropriate:
    KPXIP: Kids Poke Xenophobes In Paris

3. Shannon
    posted on Feb 14, 2008 at 6:25 AM  |  reply

I LOVE Compassion. I have blogged about them a few times. Seriously, Annie. You made the right choice. You should now consider reading the book I blogged about here: http://www.yourmomentisnow.com/2008/02/book-review-too-small-to-ignore.html

4. seantk
    posted on Feb 14, 2008 at 1:58 PM  |  reply

I think that’s great what you’re doing, Anns.

I sponsored a child through Compassion when I was at UGA (I think I found a flyer about it in a Jars of Clay cd?). Anyway, it was this little guy that I supported and exchanged letters with for probably 4 years. When I finished school, I ended up not doing it anymore, and I can’t remember why.

I still think about the guy from time to time. This is a sad post. Now I feel bad and I wonder what happened to him. I can’t even remember his name, which compounds the pain and guilt. I used to smile when I said his name because it just sounded funny and I had no clue if I was pronouncing it right.

Wow – amazing what a 10-year span will do to your memory.

xrlmr: xylophones really love mayonnaise raisins. so true.

5. AshWard
    posted on Feb 14, 2008 at 3:10 PM  |  reply

He is precious!! I love him!

I also love that Harrison says Kool. Thats so rad.

okeeej.

6. Marie-Claire
    posted on Feb 14, 2008 at 4:26 PM  |  reply

Harrison has ALWAYS said kool. I remember talking to him on AIM when he lived with the Hungerfords and I was still in France, and we had a ridiculous conversation about it. He said it’s easier to type because the k is closer to the o than the c. Psh.

That’s so Cool Annie! I love Fred already.

OJLTBQ. Orange jumpers like to be quacky. Do they ever.

7. Jake
    posted on Feb 14, 2008 at 8:04 PM  |  reply

I love his little hands in his pockets… THAT is what makes him the Fred we all know and love.
    pthfwyjt
    are you kidding me?
    that has to be the longest security code ever.
    :-)Face

8. carolineb
    posted on Feb 15, 2008 at 12:20 AM  |  reply

I LOVE FRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    I WANT FRED. I WANT HIM.
    We had Saby from Peru from teeny tiny girl to graduation from the program! She’s a volleyball star now.

irwomj
    I R worm oh my jeez

9. Annie
    posted on Feb 15, 2008 at 3:14 AM  |  reply

I knew y’all would like him. He fits in with us perfectly.

Chip, you are So right.

Caroline, I want to see him graduate. And when he is old, I want him to read this blog. And see that he has been loved all along.

10. Harrison...
    posted on Feb 15, 2008 at 8:34 AM  |  reply

im pretty sure that since people on ur comments are joining in on my little game, I deserve to be in ur friend links.
    ps did u ever get my address?

UHDXBKR:
    unless harrison does Xena behind Kalamazoo runway

that actually sounds pretty bad… but luckily everyone here knows I have never been to Kalamazoo…

11. Annie
    posted on Feb 15, 2008 at 11:29 AM  |  reply

Harrison,
    I never did get your address- send it to me on facebook.
    Secondly, you are now linked. And I am sorry that it didn’t happen sooner. You are a splendid blogger.

12. jenny
    posted on Feb 15, 2008 at 7:23 PM  |  reply

you know, Uganda borders Kenya where our Compassion child Felix lives… they could be buddies.

13. Chip
    posted on Feb 15, 2008 at 9:55 PM  |  reply

Leave it to Harrison to make a game out of something weird. But a good one, at that.

wrrrvmdn (sheesh, no vowels??)

When roaming round Ruwanda via moped, dance naked.

(Interpretations should not reflect the mind of the interpreter.)

14. carolineb
    posted on Feb 16, 2008 at 3:24 PM  |  reply

Harrison, I think that should be “until”

dkysc
    dysck, it’s a word scramble

15. April
    posted on Feb 18, 2008 at 9:42 AM  |  reply

Ahhhh…Fred needs to meet my compassion kid, Betsy. She’s from Uganda too! Fred and Betsy! Those names crack me up!