I will give Him thanks.

on April 1, 2008 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 9 comments by

I like what Benjamin Franklin said-
“...the longer I live the more convincing proof I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men.”

I hear ya, Benji. Because I know God is all up in my affairs. I closed on my house today.

I could not have sold that house. Jim Glover is really good, but no one is this good. Except God. I sat at the lawyer’s desk today, blue pen in hand. As I turned from page to page, signing my name on the line, a smile crept across my face. I couldn’t help it. I kept thinking, “I can’t believe You did this for me, God.”

I’m sure the others were concerned about my mental state, or maybe my bank account, that I would be so thrilled. But I was. I am. Because He has proven to me again that I am not able. I don’t have enough [fill-in-the-blank: skillz, style, sass, money, power, etc.] to pull any of this off. The sale. The move. The writing. None of it.

And as I sat there, my heart swelled at the idea that for every day of the rest of my life, He is able.

My brain is composing faster than my hands. So many thoughts towards God are floating through my mind. Worship with words. Paragraph after paragraph, line after line, to tell you the goodness of our God. About how HIS plan is better, different, extreme, and relentless. How when He sets a course NOTHING can deter it, even the plea of a scared school teacher. And how, all day long, I have sensed His very near presence. His palpable excitement over whatever is over that GA/TN state line. And that gets me excited.

Does that mean all fear and sadness is gone? Or that I don’t want to control the details? Absolutely not. I’ve not attained some perfect status. BY FAR. Instead, I’ve let go. I don’t have to work it out anymore. I just live it out.

My life? It’s His. I am my Beloveds. Maybe for the first time.

I have been a Christian for a while. But what is this new thing growing in me? This blind trust, this belief that He can and will handle it all, this blatant disregard for the things that look safe and secure in exchange for the knowledge that HE is my safety and security?

If this is truly being a Christ follower, I’m new here. But I’m here to stay.

Wanna join me?

1. Lindsey
    posted on Apr 01, 2008 at 4:25 AM  |  reply

Hi Annie!
    I just started reading your blog a few days ago…I stumbled on it from Kat’s blog.
    But I just wanted to say thanks for the encouraging words and for speaking RIGHT to me. Your post related to so much of what God’s been teaching me lately, and He has me so excited about it all, so it was nice to read about the same things going on in someone else’s life too! I mean…I’m not closing on a house or anything. But still. 🙂

2. Linda Vujnov
    posted on Apr 01, 2008 at 4:39 AM  |  reply

I am so glad. I was praying that you would be excited with what God has planned, the changes, transpiring. What a ride Annie!

He is establishing the work of your hands and in His hands, is a great place to be!

3. Shannon
    posted on Apr 01, 2008 at 5:09 AM  |  reply

Congratulations, Annie! You are no longer a home owner (for now)! Nashville here you come–woo hoo!

4. Katie
    posted on Apr 01, 2008 at 3:47 PM  |  reply

Word.

5. Heather
    posted on Apr 01, 2008 at 7:44 PM  |  reply

YAY! I’m very excited for you….can’t wait to see what’s in store….Congratulations!

6. Emily
    posted on Apr 01, 2008 at 9:27 PM  |  reply

Sweet Annie, my hero: Your words bless me every day, but today especially! I’m so proud of you!

7. R.L.Scovens
    posted on Apr 01, 2008 at 11:34 PM  |  reply

It’s so good to see someone realize that God’s way is the better way! I feel the same way! Praise God! He has been so good to my son and I and I can really understand where you’re coming from. It’s hard at first to just let go and let God, but once you do, what a rush!!

8. Sarah Markley
    posted on Apr 02, 2008 at 12:10 AM  |  reply

Beautifully written. I am so glad that I know you. Truly glad.

9. Brad Huebert
    posted on Apr 02, 2008 at 1:20 AM  |  reply

Totally cool, praise God!

BTW, you do have plenty of sass (which I happen to like about you). But you’re right, sass won’t sell a home. Thanks God!

Hey, your last line, that you are his Beloved, reminded me of a story I wrote (I read a pocast version of it last year for my church). Check it out, it’s a forty minute listen but I think you’ll like it.

The url is: http://www.dccnet.org/media.html

Just scroll down until you find “Beloved.” It’s my attempt at writing the bigger story of the Bible as a fairy tale…