Why Nashville?

on April 15, 2008 in Movin on up with 14 comments by

(Your questions for me are in bold. My answers are in italics. You are quite the hard hitting journalist. Well done.)

So, Annie, tell us. Of all the cities in the world, why Nashville?

Because of the beautiful skyline?
Uh, yeah, I mean, it’s pretty alright. But no, that’s not why I’m moving.

Because of the insane amount of country music?
Tempting, sure. But no.

Because your favorite musicians live there?
No. Eww. That’s called “stalking” and I am completely against it in real life. And if liking someone’s music made me give up my life in Marietta, please put me in a padded room and throw away the keys.

Because you’ve always dreamed of being a musician yourself?
Nope. And we’ve already gone over this. My dream is to be a back up singer. (#9 on the random list.)

Because you hate teaching and want to get as far away from it as possible?
Actually, no. I’m really glad I’m leaving teaching when I still love it. People are always having kids and those kids always gotta get taught. So my job isn’t going anywhere.

Because you want new family and friends?
How dare you.

Because Tennessee air smells fresher that Georgia air?
It did smell lovely, I guess. But Georgia has been real good to me for 27ish years. So I have nothing unkind to say about it.

Because your husband is there?

Listen. That’s what all you jokers said about Marietta when I moved back here and we see how well THAT worked out. So no, I am not going for that. And I don’t talk about this topic in my blog, so please move on.

Ok, sorry.
Forgiven. But that’s strike 2 after the family/friends jab. Check yo’self before you wreck yo’self.

Because the Atlanta Falcons have let you down repeatedly?
Seriously. Please don’t speak of it. It hurts my soul. But no. Not enough to move. But almost.

Because God told you to?
Now we’re getting somewhere. But I talked about that yesterday.

Because you want to be a writer?
Yeah, I think that has to do with it. There are a lot of really great writing opportunities and connections in Nashville, so it is a sensible place to move to pursue this, and any other creative-like, career.

So I guess the real answer is I don’t really know why God picked Nashville.

The writing thing is the main reason I can think up. Notice the strategically placed “I”. Because in reality, I have no idea ALL or even MOST or even SOME of the reasons God is moving me. I think the bravery thing is in play, I think the sacrifice thing in in play, and the writing is hopefully in play.

But to be REALLY honest with you, I think God has WAY bigger plans that I can even come up with and in order for me to live those, I have to be there. The next step is in Nashville.

Do you have more questions? Seriously, EVERY ONE of these questions has been asked to me- some made me want to cry and some made me mad. But all are legit (sorta), which is why I repeated them to you. I have a few more to answer tomorrow, but add any in the comments that you would like to know.

1. Hannah Hoffmann
    posted on Apr 15, 2008 at 7:58 PM  |  reply

People have actually asked you those questions? In jest, right? Good grief. Some people are so tacky.

Looking at my comments, I realized you don’t really know me as Hannah Hoffmann. Do you know this is Hannah Adams? Wasn’t sure.

2. Sarah Markley
    posted on Apr 15, 2008 at 8:44 PM  |  reply

did you finish the shack yet….waiting for the shack post…i finished this morning. please annie!

i am glad you are pursuing writing in nashville. i will ride your coattails. not to nashville but in writing. =)

3. Brad Huebert
    posted on Apr 15, 2008 at 8:49 PM  |  reply

I loved the whole dialogue thing. I’m sold.

4. Marie-Claire
    posted on Apr 15, 2008 at 8:56 PM  |  reply

You already are a backup singer. I gave you the cd to prove it.

5. Candace
    posted on Apr 15, 2008 at 9:07 PM  |  reply

who taught you to say check yourself before you wreck yourself?

6. Annie Parsons
    posted on Apr 15, 2008 at 9:56 PM  |  reply

How did I randomly run across your blog just now? How is your name Annie? How are you moving to Nashville, when I just moved to Nashville, with THE EXACT SAME QUESTIONS being asked of me, and basically the same line of thinking on my part?

Holy cow.

I’m taking a brief hiatus from my blog, but check out the archives to read about my journey getting here. I think we might want to hang out or something.

(Is that presumptuous of me?)

7. Annie
    posted on Apr 15, 2008 at 10:18 PM  |  reply

Hannah- yeah girl! I read your blog, too. Those baby boys are cute.

Sarah- I’m a shack slack. Soon. Before the weekend.

Brad- good. I need all the Canadian help I can get.

Marie- So true.

Candace- My mentor did. That would be you.

Annie P- What you don’t know is that every one of my friends who just read your comment said, “Annie will be all over this”. And they were right. We are SO gonna be friends.

8. Jonathan
    posted on Apr 15, 2008 at 10:59 PM  |  reply

amy here:

you know His promises are true. when you do leave all of your certainties/securities, He will return it to you 100 fold. The greatest thing of all, you are putting yourself in a position of even needing Him more (imagine). even more than when you began this move, even more than when you said yes, even more than when you sold and packed up your house. you are going to an even newer level of vulnerability (this is looking great, huh?) and you WILL KNOW HIM MORE NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS!!!! dont forget your goal here is nothing but knowing Him more and in that He will reveal things to you that you could NEVER have learned in your safe house, in your safe town. not always easy, but SOOOOOOO worth it! annie, you will know Him more and in places that only those who say YES and run after Him to crazy places can know! enjoy delving into His heart even deeper, you couldnt go there unless you willing to get out of your comfort zone first.

BE ENCOURAGED!!! DO NOT BE AFRAID!! HE GOES BEFORE, WITH AND BEHIND YOU! HEAR ME, IT WILL BE WORTH IT NO MATTER THE OUTCOME!

ps. dont hear me say the outcome wont/cant be good, it will be amazing. my thought is more along the lines of: keep your eyes fixed on the prize, on Him; He is your goal, nothing else!

love ya girl! im so excited for you!

can a blog comment be this long?

9. Sarah Markley
    posted on Apr 16, 2008 at 1:22 AM  |  reply

shack slack. i’m offended. seriously; get on it! really…my dad practically forced me to read it and now we are arguing about it. so read it now! i want to know what you think.

10. Chip
    posted on Apr 16, 2008 at 2:02 AM  |  reply

Hey hey … I think you’re just going to march right up to Nashville and take them by storm, capture their hearts like you’ve captured ours, and then who knows? Another metropolitan area? Perhaps the one where your husband will work?

No matter where you go, the Chipmeister will always be there for you. Hey … do you think the Nashville TV market would like the show?

11. Linda Vujnov
    posted on Apr 16, 2008 at 3:02 AM  |  reply

Because it is closer to Cali? Is it? I’m not sure…I’m pretty horible at geography when it comes to those middle states…but it sounds good.

12. Harrison...
    posted on Apr 16, 2008 at 7:07 AM  |  reply

yea i have a question…
    Werent u supposed to send me something??? and put me on ur blog friends list?

13. Kristi
    posted on Apr 16, 2008 at 1:49 PM  |  reply

Amen to Amy’s comment. I have never known the Lord more than when I blindly moved to California just b/c the Lord put that desire in my heart and prepared the way for me. I said many times when I was there, “I feel like I’m a 3 year-old”. I had NO idea what I was doing, but God FOR REAL took my hand and led me everywhere…into a place where dreams I didn’t even know I had came true. He’s awesome, your awesome…I’m so excited for you.

14. Kristi
    posted on Apr 16, 2008 at 3:45 PM  |  reply

Okay, the Annie Parsons girl is funny – http://hootenannieparsons.blogspot.com/2008/02/if-looks-could-kill.html