The Shack: My personal opinion.

on April 18, 2008 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 7 comments by

You know something is popular, and worthy of mockery, when it gets on Stuff Christians Like. Which may be the funniest and truest blog in all of fair blogdom.

My opinion of The Shack?

I liked it.

I really did.

Here’s what I didn’t love: the kidnapping. It was a deep fear in my heart that my youngest sister would get stolen [thank you, GhostBusters 2], so I tend to stay away from this story line. But there was so much Christian pressure….. I folded.

Here’s what I did love:

1) The portrayal of God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit and the Trinity. I just did. These are things that our minds are not able to fully comprehend. But I really like when people show me what they think, even if I didn’t already think it. And even if NO ONE has the exact right answer. Because, by the way, they don’t.

THIS ISN’T THE BIBLE. Yes, a lot of people are reading it. But let’s all just be discerning for ourselves and cool to each other.

2) I LOVE LOVE LOVE the garden scene. By far my favorite part. I read it twice. It made me think of The Secret Garden and I think I have a crush on that book. Or at least the garden.

3) The overall story of God’s heart for His kids and the redemption and the amount of effort God will go to in order to see us healed is beautiful. I like the way it was written, I enjoyed reading it, and I will probably read it again.

Am I ruined by it, never to be the same? No. I’m not. But you might be. And that would be fine.

Was it the most influential spiritual book I have ever read? No. Not for me. But it could be for you. And that would be fine.

Did I totally cry the whole way through? No, but some friends did. And you are welcome to should you feel so inclined. [I’m not a mom- this one really tugs on that mama heart string.]

Did I hate it? No, but some friends did. And you can too. It won’t hurt my feelings.

Do I love God more for reading it? Yeah. I think I do.

So I say read it. See what you think. Be smart. BE OPEN. Be different when you finish it.

And though it is good, please remember that the only One who can fully show us Jesus… is Jesus.

What did you think? Have you read it? Share your thoughts…..

1. Linda Vujnov
    posted on Apr 18, 2008 at 2:53 AM  |  reply

If I read fiction I could give you my opinion. So, for now, how did you like Writing for the Soul by Jerry B. Jenkins?

2. Annie
    posted on Apr 18, 2008 at 3:05 AM  |  reply

Sitting right in front of me, Linda! I’m starting it now that I finished The Shack. Can’t wait to read it.

3. Sarah Markley
    posted on Apr 18, 2008 at 5:26 AM  |  reply

Okay, first…got super bored with Jerry Jenkins. I put it down after half of it.

Linda, read The Shack – don’t use the I dont’ read fiction excuse.

Annie – my opinion mirrors yours pretty much without difference. I did cry a lot. At the end mostly – but that is just me. I like what you had to say about that this isn’t the Bible. I had trouble discerning his literary purpose which confused me a little (theological fiction…?). So I wasn’t sure about that.

I am not ruined by it. But it has made me think long and hard about relationships and forgiveness and how life is SUPPOSED to be here on earth. It makes me think that anything is possible with God – in a practical sense.

I am having trouble with people jumping on a Shack wagon and toting it as the best thing to come along since the NIV or something. I feel pressure to agree with everything or be seen as a prude or anti-progressive or something. I do agree with it – if there is something to agree or disagree with.

I liked it and it was interesting. However, I thought a lot of his writing was cliche-ridden.

4. annie
    posted on Apr 18, 2008 at 2:12 PM  |  reply

Mommy heart strings?

Kidnapping?

This doesn’t sound like a book that I could handle. I’ll just have to take your word for it that it’s a good one.

5. Kristi
    posted on Apr 18, 2008 at 2:42 PM  |  reply

Have you seen “Stuff White People Like”?

My favorite is #50 – irony.

6. Mari
    posted on Apr 18, 2008 at 6:10 PM  |  reply

I loved The Shack! I went to Daily Grind to finish it while my kids were at mother’s morning out. I sobbed (almost uncontrollably) at the end (yes, sitting on the sofa in public, with a person in the chairs on either side of me).

I do love God more because of this book because I feel like I got a diffent perspective of His love for me and WOW does He love me.

It made me wonder how drastically a non-believer and Christian, for that matter, would be changed to understand the love of the Father in such a personal way???

The book provided a lot of confirmation of things He had already spoken to my heart.

I will probably read it again as well.

Thanks for your insight.

7. carolineb
    posted on May 05, 2008 at 2:48 AM  |  reply

I finished it today. I loved his Jesus. I cried when they were lying on the dock looking at the stars and Jesus said he still can’t get over it. I can’t wait to do that for real. And about how God limits himself by choice to hang out with us, kinda like I do to hang out with Asa and Eli. It’s was good to stretch my perspective, see God through someone else’s story, I’m glad I read it. I hope I’ll be more relationship aware or something.