Dear Time.

on April 29, 2008 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 8 comments by

Dear Time,

You are moving too fast for me. I don’t really understand you. I guess I don’t really understand us. I beg you to rush by and then I blink and you have. Don’t you know I never really mean it? Haven’t you learned by now? You’ve been counting my every move for upwards of 26 million minutes. You should know me fairly well.

You do this to me every school year. You realize that, right? You are like jogging through jello in October and at next check, I am one month from summer. And you know what, Time? This year, I’m one month from ending my career. [For now.] And so I assumed you would be sensitive about that. But our constant companionship has not revealed your character to me as I would have liked. You went quicker, Time, quicker by far than I wanted.

And Time, did I mention that I have an entire week of Beth Moore Bible Study to finish before tomorrow night? I believe it was just last Tuesday that you persuaded me to watch American Idol because you said you would be everywhere in mass quantity this week. You haven’t been. You’ve been hiding under piles of mail I had to sift through. You have been mysteriously absent in parent conferences. You have been bagged up with yard sale items. You have been between pages of books and magazines, but you haven’t been where you said you would be. Everywhere. In plentiful amounts.

Can I mention, Time, that I’m almost 28. That’s weird. Not bad, just weird. How did you pull that off? Remember yesterday when I turned 16? You don’t? Oh, that wasn’t yesterday? Well, I blame you for my poor memory as well.

It’s not that you are all bad, Time. It does seem that the more of you that goes past, the better my life gets. And I do appreciate that. But Time, it’s a speed problem. I’m not even having enough of you to enjoy how good my life is.

By the way, I don’t know if you know this, Time. So let me inform you. You are prey. You are hunted every day by a predator called the internet. And it eats you. By the hour, in one big bite. Seriously, you need to start protecting yourself because when you get eaten, I suffer. It’s a sad reality.

Hey Time, one last thing. I’m tired of wasting you, the little pieces that I do get. When I use you wisely, I’m a better writer, better reader, better teacher, better friend. So Time, let’s make a deal. You go a smidge slower, give me just a bit more, and I’ll use you better. Fair?

Write back whenever you get a chance. No rush. Seriously.

LYLAS,
Annie

1. Sarah Markley
    posted on Apr 29, 2008 at 2:21 AM  |  reply

You are so creative, girl. =)

I need a lot more time too.

2. Shannon
    posted on Apr 29, 2008 at 5:21 PM  |  reply

And THIS is why you are backed wholeheartedly to go and pursue your dream of WRITING! Loved that post : )

3. Writeaway
    posted on Apr 29, 2008 at 11:38 PM  |  reply

Time is something we have no control of and therefore – it is frustrating. My baby boy Elijah is now 8 months old. My baby girl Elle is going off to college. I remember when you and Ann sang in “Temporary Occupants”. Where did the TIME go???

4. Brad Huebert
    posted on Apr 29, 2008 at 11:51 PM  |  reply

Oh man, I loved this. So creative, so… good. ANd guess what? I actually managed to get Shauna to watch your storage locker video episode… I’m thinking of copying and pasting this post into something else and tricking her into reading it because it’s so good and she still thinks blogging is a cult.

Peace,

And if you manage to capture any time, I’d love an email about summa my blogging questions.

5. Leigh Kelley
    posted on Apr 30, 2008 at 12:55 AM  |  reply

Annie,

I have been secretly reading your blog for several months, since we became friends on facebook! I am in awe of your gift of writing. I so enjoy reading your thoughts and hilarious wisdom! I was telling my girlfriends (you know who they are) about how awesome you are and specifically the entry with the description and prayers that you prayed for your house and the different rooms of your home. No doubt you are anointed by the most powerful one and only creator of our universe, Jesus Christ. I can’t wait to see where he takes you, changes you, and most of all blesses you. You bless me Annie Downs! Wishing you God’s best!
    Leigh Kelley

6. Katie
    posted on Apr 30, 2008 at 2:15 AM  |  reply

LOL at LYLAS…talk about something time made me forget until now.

7. Annie
    posted on Apr 30, 2008 at 2:25 AM  |  reply

Y’all are too kind.

And Brad, I know. We gotta go Shauna on the blog train. And I owe you an email.

Leigh!! Yeah!! I’m so glad to hear from you. Thank you for your sweet words. I hope your boys are all doing great.

Katie- you saved the day. As I logged on, I literally thought, “How has no one laughed at LYLAS?” and there you were. Much appreciated.

8. Carrie
    posted on May 01, 2008 at 7:16 PM  |  reply

so true!! i hate wasted minutes that lead to wasted days and years! it is so hard to remember to make the most of it! thanks for the reminder!