27 going on 78….. and hungry.

on May 28, 2008 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 10 comments by

Tonight at Chick-fil-A was good. Thanks to all the folks who came out. We’re really asking the Lord to provide our last little bit of moola so we can go on this trip and serve Him in Scotland.

I don’t know exactly what happened, I just know that around 6:15pm, I hurt my back. Not like a pulled muscle. Well, maybe. But more like pliers have grabbed a hold of my lowest left vertebrae. And twisted. I can’t really find a happy place to sit.

Or lie.

Or stand.

Like a grandma.

But with the encouragement of Mark Lee, I’m choosing to focus on the positive. And take a lot of Aleve.

This coming Saturday I get to help throw “that” shower for my friend Candace. Ladies, you know the one I’m talking about… the one that happens about a week before the wedding… the one for only girls…. the one that is ridiculously funny for me every single time. Because I am still seven years old in my mind.

For eats, we are doing tapas recipes. No, not topless. Sickos. TAPAS. Small appetizers, but a wide variety. Like one the greatest restaurants in Athens- SpeakEasy. Mmmm……

And we need some HELP.

Does anybody have a great appetizer recipe? We are looking for stuff that doesn’t necessarily need utensils, bite size, both savory and desserts. And Candace is the polar opposite of a vegetarian, so the more meat, the better. So step up, you undercover foodies. And help a sista out!! Give us some recipes!!

Please don’t suggest baby BACK ribs. That is rather insensitive of you, considering my current injury and all.

1. Suzanne
    posted on May 28, 2008 at 2:56 AM  |  reply

Chicken wontons…always a big hit, requires no utentils (only fingers). Put wontons in muffin cups in muffin pan. Bake couple of minutes to harden up. Put cooked shredded chicken in there with onions, green peppers, whatever, cover with yummo shredded cheese (mozz is good). Bake until melted through. So easy. I even put a little taco seasoning in the chicken to give it pop. Can also do a chicken & broccoli wonton – add a little ranch dressing for flavor.

2. April
    posted on May 28, 2008 at 4:01 AM  |  reply

I’m not a cook, so I don’t have a recipe for you, but i do have some help for your back…..ICE! I feel your pain girl!! But ice does wonders for the back!!!

3. ManUtd17
    posted on May 28, 2008 at 10:46 AM  |  reply

Sorry about hte back. Hope Keegan didn’t contribute to your pain.

Bite-size desserts? Can’t go wrong with those mini-eclairs, can you?

4. Heather
    posted on May 28, 2008 at 10:59 AM  |  reply

Sopapilla Cheesecake for a desert you must have sweets right? it is delish!
    Sopapilla Cheesecake

Ingredients:
    2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese
    2 (8 oz) packages refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
    1 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract or almond extract
    1/2 cup margarine or butter, melted
    1/2 cup cinnamon sugar (combine about 1/2 cup sugar with 1 TBS cinnamon)

1) Using a 9×13 baking pan, unroll one package of refrigerated crescent rolls and line the bottom of the pan.
    2) Flatten.
    3) Mix together the cream cheese, sugar, and extract.
    4) Spread over the crescent rolls.
    5) Unroll the other can of crescent rolls and place on top of cream cheese mixture.
    6) Pour one stick of melted butter or margarine over the top and sprinkle with about 1/2 cup of the cinnamon sugar mixture.
    7) Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Makes 12-20 servings

5. Katie
    posted on May 28, 2008 at 4:16 PM  |  reply

I remember when you helped with “that” shower for me about a hundred years ago.

6. Cindy Swanson
    posted on May 28, 2008 at 4:35 PM  |  reply

Hi Annie! I discovered your blog through Melodee’s “Actual Unretouched Photo.” Loved stopping in to visit, and hope to be back soon.

By the way, I LOVED “Let Them Eat Cake”…can’t wait to read “Bon Appetit.”

7. annie
    posted on May 28, 2008 at 8:48 PM  |  reply

These are ALWAYS a hit when I bring them to parties! They take a little time to assemble, but it’s worth it.

Parmesan Rosemary Pinwheels

1 can (8 ounces) Pillsbury(R) Refrigerated Crescent Dinner Rolls

1/2 cup regular cream cheese spread

1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese

4 teaspoons snipped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon Rosemary Herb Seasoning Mix

Preheat oven to 375°F. Separate dough into four rectangles on glass or plastic cutting board. Press seams to seal.

Place cream cheese in small mixing bowl. Grate Parmesan cheese over
    batter bowl. Snip rosemary; add to cheese mixture. Mix well.
    Spread each rectangle with about 2 tablespoons
    cheese mixture to within 1/4 inch of edges.

Starting at short side, roll up each rectangle; pinch edges to
    seal. Cut each roll crosswise into six slices using serrated knife for
    a total of 24 slices. Place slices, cut side down, on baking stone (or cookie sheet).
    Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven to cooling rack. Serve warm. (They’re best warm, but still tasty at room temp.)

Yield: 24 pinwheels

If you wanted something meaty, you could make them with fresh spinach and thin-sliced deli ham. For that recipe, use a “garlic and herb” flavored cream cheese…

These are Pampered Chef recipes; they have tons of wonderful appetizers. Let me know if you need more!

8. Chip
    posted on May 29, 2008 at 1:36 AM  |  reply

Chick-fil-A was good … I covered the drive-thru. But they forgot my Caesar Wrap, dang it.

OK … you can do this recipe with either water chestnuts OR whole green beans (from can). Water chestnuts make really great appetizers. Green beans are more of a side dish.

Buy a pack of bacon. Yes, bacon, the not-so-white meat. Cut strips in half, and take that half strip and wrap a single water chestnut OR about 5 green beans into a bundle. Lay them in a glass baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Put the loose end of the bacon strip down so it won’t come unwrapped. You’ll need about two cans of either veggie.

Then, create in a saucepan over low heat (mainly to melt butter, not to cook):

1/2 cup butter
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    1 cup brown sugar
    1/2 tsp garlic powder

Stir until smooth and pour over bundles. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes, then broil for a few minutes to crisp the bacon to your liking. Lick sauce spoon before cleaning in sink.

Remove cooked bundles from sauce (if you want them to be pretty on a dish) but serve warm. Or leave in buttery, garlicky sauce … doesn’t matter. Toothpicks are great for water chestnuts. Forks are really needed for green beans.

Oops, sorry. Dribbled a little spit there. My bad.

Have fun!

9. marisa
    posted on May 29, 2008 at 4:48 AM  |  reply

baked brie…SO easy:
    1 roll crescent roll dough, flattened out on cookie sheet
    1 pkg brie cheese (i prefer to shave off the edges b/c its gross – but some people like it) placed in center of dough
    1 jar of apricot jelly (i know, apricot? but trust me, it’s awesome) spread all over brie (you won’t use the whole jar obviously…)
    wrap the dough up around the covered brie
    follow cresent roll baking instructions
    ta-da! serve w/ wheat thins. yum-o.

10. Amy Rakes
    posted on May 29, 2008 at 3:05 PM  |  reply

Aunt Carol’s Bridge Bacon Rollups
    (WARNING – Highly addictive)

1 bag of bread with the crusts cut off
    1 pound of baon – uncooked – cut in half
    1 container of whipped cream cheese
    Toothpicks

Cut the crust of the bread and cut bread in half. You now have a lot of lady finger sized slices.

Spread each slice of bread with cream cheese.

Roll up the bread.

Wrap half a piece of bacon around the roll up and secure with a toothpick.

Place on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for about 15 – 20 minutes. The bacon should look cooked and the bread will get brown. Keep an eye on it. It will go from not quite ready to burned in a heartbeat because of the grease that cooks off the bacon.