Mission BOT.

on June 19, 2008 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 10 comments by

So I just google mapped myself to the SheSpeaks Conference and it is going to take me approximately FOUR AND ONE HALF HOURS to get there. That is, if my math is correct, ELEVENTY BILLION MINUTES.

Alone. In a car. I just did 3 1/2 hours to Nashville and almost went out of my cotton-pickin’ mind. [For you folks not from around these parts (Linda!), that means that I almost went crazy.] There are no amount of phone calls or podcasts or Dave Barnes‘ songs to entertain me that long.

Sorry, Dave.

But I need to be constantly entertained. It’s merely one example in my extensive collection of fatal flaws.

I truly considered seeing if my Dad would rent me a driver and some sort of luxury town car, but then I remembered that I am not Paris Hilton.

So I’ll be driving my 2002 Toyota Camry. And this is where you come in. I’m inviting you into MISSION BOT- Book On Tape. And you better not take this for granted because let’s be honest, how many secret agents invite others into their missions? Zero. Plus me. That’s one.

Anyone got a favorite book on tape (or CD, you know, since it’s not 1988 anymore)? It would be best if I could check it out of the library, but desperate times call for desperate measures. If need be, I will purchase something from the bookstore. Or if I really know you, do you have one I could borrow?

[If I don’t really know you, I’m not sure this is the best way for us to meet. It’s weird to loan things to people you don’t know. Even though you probably feel like you know me a smidge better than I feel like I know you, so….. I’m rambling.]

And doesn’t Cracker Barrel have some sort of tape swap deal? I’m not against it. I just don’t want to pull up to the CB location in east Bumble-wherever and have to fight Grandma Sue for the last copy of “Julia Childs Reads Her Favorite Recipes”. For example.

MISSION BOT. Help a sister out. What should I listen to for the eternity that is driving to Charlotte?

1. Anonymous
    posted on Jun 19, 2008 at 1:11 PM  |  reply

It all depends on what type of reading material you like…I have teenagers and a 6 year old, so we compromise on what is listened to in the vehicles. (Donut Man songs for the past 19 years has almost driven me out of my cotton-pickin’ mind!)I love Francine Rivers, Nicholas Sparks, some Tom Clancy (how diverse is that?), history books, etc. What do you like to read?
    Renee

2. Annie
    posted on Jun 19, 2008 at 1:42 PM  |  reply

Great question- I love Ted Dekker, but I also love Francine Rivers, and really most things in between.

Anything that keeps me from driving off a cliff. 🙂

3. Amy Rakes
    posted on Jun 19, 2008 at 1:56 PM  |  reply

I love, love, love Suzanne Brockmann. She does series books which are my favorite because you get to know your characters and they become your friends. She has two series plus some other books.

My favorites are the Trouble Shooters series. It’s about a special section of the military. It’s got lots of action and suspense with a little (okay, a lot) of romance thrown in.

You can go to her website and get a list of her books in order. http://www.suzannebrockmann.com/backlist.htm I would probably skip the first one (Unsung Hero) and go with #2 (Defiant Hero). Her writing improved dramatically between the two books. The very best one, hands down, is Gone Too Far. If you aren’t a stickler for reading in order, get it.

I always check mine out from the library. I have done Cracker Barrel in the past. You buy the book at one store, listen to it, then return it to the next store. They refund your money less a listening fee of $2 – $3 (I can’t remember how much). They have a fairly decent selection of popular titles but most are tapes. My van doesn’t have a tape player so I stick with the CD collection at the library.

4. Mendi
    posted on Jun 19, 2008 at 2:54 PM  |  reply

Karen Kingsbury…The Redemption Series. Which spun into the First Born Series….Which spun into the Sunrise Series. You could drive to Colorado.

Also, the big hit lately has been the # 1 selling series by Terry Blackstock….The Restoration Series. Technology blown out worldwide…and why? 4 book series available on CD, too.

Happy Driving. Mendi

5. melissa
    posted on Jun 19, 2008 at 7:20 PM  |  reply

My mom & I listened to The Poisonwood Bible one year. It’s so long that it took us all the way to Michigan and back. So that may be a bit much for this weekend. And, now that I think of it, The Poisonwood Bible is very anti-missions. So never mind. Forget I said anything. This comment is of no use to anyone.

6. melissa
    posted on Jun 19, 2008 at 7:21 PM  |  reply

You should go library, though. After all- of what use is a listened-to book on tape/CD?
    There. Now I’ve contributed something.

7. Linda Vujnov
    posted on Jun 19, 2008 at 8:03 PM  |  reply

I hate driving by myself, yes hate.

And BTW I am familiar with cotton pickin’- figurtivly not literally.

8. Sarah Markley
    posted on Jun 19, 2008 at 10:17 PM  |  reply

you’ve picked cotton, Linda? I am so impressed. So sorry you have to drive by yourself to a REALLY COOL CONFERENCE that the rest of us (at least me) wishes they could go to. Wow. I think you’ll be okay. I can’t wait to hear about it!!!

9. Anonymous
    posted on Jun 20, 2008 at 12:03 AM  |  reply

My son is reading the Black, Red and White books again this summer. You like Ted Dekker then maybe you like Frank Peretti?? I guarantee you his stories would keep you on the edge of your seat, but hopefully away from those cliffs!

Whatever you choose, happy traveling.

Renee

10. nanatrish
    posted on Jun 20, 2008 at 1:50 AM  |  reply

My suggestion would be one of Beth Moore’s studies on CD. You can always listen to them again when you are not driving and get deeper into them. I love them. The more I hear them, the better. Plus you can pass them along to women friends and they’ll be blessed too. I have really enjoyed the Stepping Up series. Great music on it too.