Revealing.

on June 25, 2008 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 17 comments by

Summer is rather revealing.

This morning I had a breakfast meeting to discuss some very important things [such as house remodels and costumes] and then another very important meeting at church [do we make the kids eat the whole can of beans or just hold them in their mouth?]. This entire time, my dear car was sitting. Basking in the sun.

Now you may or may not know this about me. But I tend to err on the side of “messy”.

So my car, being the mirror image of my life that it is, also is a smidge messy.

And when I say “messy”, I mean “for the blog girls to ride in my car on Saturday, I had to throw piles of junk in the trunk.” That kind.

A messy car basking in the sun for a couple of hours can be…. well…. revealing.

Because when I got in my car after my meetings, let’s just say it didn’t have that new car scent. In fact, either my car cooked itself some lunch or something hazardous has melted. Heat has revealed that something is rotting. Inside my car.

The smell is not super strong. It’s not like a “Oh my dear week old Taco Bell burrito!” smell- mainly because I never have burrito leftovers. Obviously.

It’s just a nagging smell. Something being just a bit off. Just enough to make me wonder if there is a small sliver of banana peel under a seat. Or maybe something plastic has melted [this is Georgia- that can happen] and now has gaseous fumes rising from it’s puddle? Not sure. But whatever the mild stink it, you can be certain of this.

It is not bad enough that I want to stand out in the blazing sun and clean my car out.

Yet.

Give it another day or two, when I have to roll down the windows just to be able to breathe, and then I’ll clean it out.

Update- it was tomatoes. Tomatoes I pulled off an Arby’s Turkey Sandwich. Let’s just say as soon as I went back out to my car to go to the next location, the heat had intensified the smell considerably. So a clean out was necessary. Eww.

1. Jill @ Live, Laugh, Blog
    posted on Jun 25, 2008 at 3:00 AM  |  reply

What’s worse is leaving a poopy diaper in the back of the car… only to open it the next morning (after not parking in the garage). It’s the kind of stink you have to leave the windows rolled down for. The kind that will knock you off your feet.

UGH.

2. Annie
    posted on Jun 25, 2008 at 3:13 AM  |  reply

You win. Ewwww.

3. Chad Markley
    posted on Jun 25, 2008 at 3:43 AM  |  reply

You are so fortunate the smell didn’t follow you! That means it would not have been the car smelling…..

4. Brad Huebert
    posted on Jun 25, 2008 at 4:49 AM  |  reply

Uh, did you just say that you’ve got junk in your trunk?

5. Anonymous
    posted on Jun 25, 2008 at 11:59 AM  |  reply

Nothing much worse than the smell of rotting tomatoes…except maybe a carton of milk that has just enough milk left in it to become putrid and is hiding in the back of a mini van after vacation at a SC beach with temperatures from 95 to 100 degrees. Did I mention some of the said milk had spilled out onto the carpet of said van? Yeah, it was pleasant for quite a while.

Renee

PS I’m a messy, too.

6. Big Mama
    posted on Jun 25, 2008 at 1:41 PM  |  reply

I can’t tell you how excited this makes me about you picking me up at the airport on Friday.

Really.

But thanks for your honesty.

7. Natalie @ I AM (not)
    posted on Jun 25, 2008 at 1:55 PM  |  reply

Milk in a sippy cup. Nuf said.

8. Chip
    posted on Jun 25, 2008 at 3:13 PM  |  reply

Milk in ANY quasi-solidified form. That’s just not right.

9. Annie
    posted on Jun 25, 2008 at 4:14 PM  |  reply

Mel, it’s gonna be gone by Friday. It’s a mini-goal I have.

10. Heather
    posted on Jun 25, 2008 at 4:27 PM  |  reply

Those dang tomatoes are causing all kinds of havoc nationwide….first salmonella..now this??

11. Gray Matters
    posted on Jun 25, 2008 at 7:33 PM  |  reply

I have to agree with Jill – those 24 hr poopy diapers can definitely smell up the joint!

12. Missy @ It's Almost Naptime
    posted on Jun 26, 2008 at 1:20 AM  |  reply

“mainly because I never have burrito leftovers. Obviously.”

Oh, that made me laugh.

Girl. Just wait till motherhood. Then your messy minivan will have a constant spoiled-milk-in-a-sippy cup-somewhere smell. And occasionally a dirty-diaper-I-meant-to-toss-as-soon-as-we-got-home smell.

Now that’s something to look forward to.

13. Missy @ It's Almost Naptime
    posted on Jun 26, 2008 at 1:21 AM  |  reply

The fact that several parents beat me to the other gross smells makes me feel better, in a sick way.

14. Missy @ It's Almost Naptime
    posted on Jun 26, 2008 at 1:23 AM  |  reply

The worst I ever had was when Shep was tiny, like 5 weeks old, and I bought a pumpkin to carve for Halloween. And left it in the car. And it exploded and there were baked pumpkin guts all over my trunk.

Oh. My. It does not get any more nauseating than that.

I am done commenting, I promise.

15. Sarah Markley
    posted on Jun 26, 2008 at 3:15 AM  |  reply

i agree with Natalie. We had to sell our last car b/c of milk smell. I’m not exagerating.

This is what happens…the milk in the sippy cup begins to harden. By the time that you find it, it is part stinky watery stuff and part hard “milk”. I’ve had to throw complete sippy cups in the dumpster.

16. Robin (PENSIEVE)
    posted on Jun 26, 2008 at 2:27 PM  |  reply

Missy’s baked pumpkin guts almost made me forget your rotten tomatoes.

Ick.

If it weren’t for my husband (who has battled 20 years to alter my messy car tendency) I’m SCARED to think what my car might smell like. Thankfully, when it starts smelling these days, it’s cause I forgot to drop off the recyleables…and the smell is gone as soon as I get that gentle reminder.

And OOooo! Lucky you! A bit of a SheSpeaks reunion?? Have a blast! (Who all’s coming?)

🙂

17. Jenny
    posted on Jun 29, 2008 at 4:59 AM  |  reply

That’s hilarious.

One summer, we had a constant fruit fly/gnat population in my husband’s car. They would go away once the car started moving (they were hiding), but upon stopping, or when you first got in, there would be those disgusting gnats.
    We cleaned out the car and still, gnats.

Finally, one day I reached waaaaaaaaaaay under the seat and pulled out a paper bag with a banana peel in it.

EWWWWWW!

But, voila. No more gnats.

So, the moral of the story is, good thing you found the tomatoes. After stink, comes bugs.