Catch up. Ketchup. Whatever.

on August 11, 2008 in Nash-livin', Ze Bloggy Goodness with 10 comments by

The weekend at home was good. Sitting at Macaroni Grille having a bellini and an apple crisp dessert and talking with your best friends for 2 1/2 hours about everything and nothing- that’s what living is supposed to feel like.

Things in Nashville are, well, good. Church yesterday was awesome, ate lunch with five families and a gaggle of children, went to a movie with a couple of girls. Had lunch with A Better Blogger Annie today, we’re going to make it a weekly tradition.

You are going to have to be full of grace with me this month. I actually have a writing deadline on Sept. 1, so my best words, the “gettin’ paid” kind, are going to be focused on that. I don’t know what it looks like to run a blog and be a full time writer. So we’ll discover this together. I know I’ve been a fairly faithful blogger, but I just can’t make any promises.

If you’re new around these parts, then you know this already. But God and I- we work in themes. He knows I’m a simple minded lady, need a bit of “reinforcement” when it comes to lessons and growth. The phrase I can’t seem to shake is that God is my portion. I can’t fully dissect that yet, I don’t know what it means even, but I’ve looked up all the scriptures and read all the commentary and have mediated on it for days. You got some insight? I know I’ve got some pastors and wise counselors out there- go ahead. You know you wanna preach a little. Comment up, puppies.

It’s moments like this that I wish I was a painter or sculptor, I just need another way to express my heart. So I play on Picnik.

Lord, show me what this means. I want it to be true. In my heart, it is. Make it true in my life.

1. Lindsey
    posted on Aug 11, 2008 at 5:29 PM  |  reply

Well, I don’t have much insight for you about God being our portion. I struggle every single day being satisfied with what He’s given me. I want to be okay with nothing more and nothing less. I’m bad at that.

BUT I did want to say that I loved what you said at the beginning of this post: “…talking with your best friends for 2 1/2 hours about everything and nothing- that’s what living is supposed to feel like.” BEAUTIFUL. I haven’t done much this summer, but I have been able to spend a lot of time with my best friends from high school. It’s been refreshing and encouraging, and that’s what living is supposed to feel like. 🙂

(Also, in response to your last e-mail…I can’t believe I’ve been reading so long and never realized you went to UGA. I almost considered not reading anymore. But I’ll forgive you.)

2. Jennifer
    posted on Aug 11, 2008 at 9:43 PM  |  reply

Annie;
    One of the dilemmas of our life is finding satisfaction in the One who created us and everything around us. Seems odd that we struggle to find God interesting enough, smart enough, creative enough (I mean, isn’t He the Creator?)to satisfy us. My 20 years on you still hasn’t always found peace with that. I think it’s the unknowns that we encounter. Although I am inclined to think that if we knew those unknowns we would totally unravel! We could not handle the omniscience of God.
    What I will tell you though is that as I have gotten older, it is easier to leave much of this world to itself. Not that all of it is bad, I just find it sometimes a hindrance to seeing God in His fullness. Funny thing though, a lot of what is easier to leave behind is from mans’ imagination, not God’s. Give me beautiful sunny day or a cold rainy day to curl up by a window any day over the latest gossip or keeping a perfect house. God seems to shine brightest in the simplicity of the moment; and then sweet girl, He is indeed evident as the ONLY portion we need.

You are a beauy to behold, thanks for making me smile!

3. posted on Aug 11, 2008 at 10:07 PM  |  reply

It was great to see you at the wedding. It sounds like you are doing well and that you had a good weekend. We all LOVE you and we believe in what God is doing in and thru your life — even now — transitions are part of birthing something new!!!!!!!

4. posted on Aug 11, 2008 at 11:59 PM  |  reply

I’m glad to hear the children were assembled in gaggles, and not the girlfriends.

I’ve got no wisdom for you, just a high five. Keep going!

5. posted on Aug 12, 2008 at 12:00 AM  |  reply

PS… I’m blogging the next few days on my rescue from a lust addiction. Heavy, I know, but God wants me to, so…

Would you mind linking to that or mentioning it or something? If not, I understand.

6. Debbie Simon
    posted on Aug 12, 2008 at 5:45 AM  |  reply

OK so it is 6:40 a.m….I am reading Annie’s blog…thinking ketchup…thinking “my portion”…ok it’s early…then I think…sometimes you get just how much you want…other times you get more than enough and it gets messy….I think I would like it to be messy today Lord! Messy, yeah…bring it on..and give Annie a messy portion today too!

7. posted on Aug 12, 2008 at 3:31 PM  |  reply

Hey precious friend! Thank you SO much for posting this. It’s funny…God has been bringing the same darn word to me lately…and a lot of it has been because I am empty and I need Him to fill me up as with the richest of foods. I also think its because I, like you, am living life right now where I dont know tomorrow…so all I need to know is that for THIS day He has given me my Portion and He will be faithful to do that each and every day for me….even if I have NO clue what it will look like, and it’ll probably look different a lot of times.

BUT, I love ya girl. I’ll pray into it and see what God says. Keep me updated if God gives you some awesome revelations.

8. posted on Aug 12, 2008 at 10:40 PM  |  reply

Yet another thing I have been deprived of in life… what are bellinis??

9. posted on Aug 13, 2008 at 12:59 PM  |  reply

Annie,

I’m no theologian, but I have been just where you are. A totally new place- everything is unfamiliar and you feel lonely and friendless (at least I did/do). FUN!!!

Anyhow, what the LORD is showing me and I think you as well is that HE wants to fill you- to meet you. When thrown into such a new and unfamiliar situation it is very tempting to desperately seek to fill ourselves up with the familiar. We try to figure everything out, find new friends, new hangouts… basically get it all together and under control. I would say that’s not what He wants for you (or me). He wants to be your fulfillment, your portion. No friends, good restaurants, familiar things, fun times, or even wanna be rock stars who call you babe can fill you cup with cold refreshing LIVING water. Those other things will always leave you unsatisfied and wanting more. In this time of newness with few commitments and a free-er schedule- allow Him to meet your needs and to fill your calendar. He is good and faithful. He did not call you to Nashville for you to be miserable and lonely.

One last thing (I am sorry this the longest comment ever). It is so tempting to constantly compare the new HARD life with the awesome life you used to live. Don’t fall into that trap! You are where God wants you to be, and that is the best place to be. Your old life was not as awesome as you will now remember it to be. (Although for us, I am quite positive that the food from our old life still tastes fantastic!!)

Bless You!!
    Elizabeth

10. posted on Sep 08, 2008 at 3:45 PM  |  reply

You make me smile. Always.

I pray for you every day. Yes I do.