Crush Numero Uno

on August 14, 2008 in Nash-livin', video blogs with 15 comments by

Oh don’t you worry. I’m sure there will be a ridiculous amount a few more to come.

But this will always be my first crush in Nashville.

The Frothy Monkey. The coffee shop. I mean seriously. How cute is this place?

At no point in my Marietta life did I ever find a coffee shop that I really LOVED. I mean, me and CoolBeans got along alright, but nothing like my first love in Athens- Jittery Joe’s. If I think hard enough, I can still smell Jitterys.

I think I hear a collective sigh of fond memories from my college friends around the globe. Shireen? Amy? Is that you I hear? I knew it.

And when I saw The Frothy Monkey on Tuesday, my heart kinda did that thing that it does when a fine upstanding young man crosses my path. I immediately began planning our future together.

With the coffee shop. Not the dude. Not that I wouldn’t, obviously I would. And I do. Its one of my more serious issues. Just not today. But with the Monkey, it’s fine to plan a future. Lots of time together. You know why? FREE INTERNET. I know. It’s beauticulous.

On Tuesday, I met a friend there for breakfast. [Celebration enough- I have a friend!] I had a parfait of yogurt, granola [read: God’s gift to the tastebuds], fruit and honey. SHUT UP. It was so good. And I was hooked.

So I went back today. And I was a little bored on the way… so I made a video.

A few things:

1) I meant for my hair to look like that.

2) The lisp. What can I say?

3) I think the whole book thing looks way more dangerous that it really was.

4) I still heart my Marietta book club girls. There is no replacement.

5) I really need to clean the windows of my car.

6) To be honest, the drink wasn’t lovely.

7) The whole video ends abruptly. Sorry.

So there you have it. A… how do you say… “organic” video. As in, I really didn’t take the time to edit it as well as I should. Who can blame me? Michael Phelps is about to race.

He’s cute. But the Frothy Monkey has my heart today.

1. posted on Aug 14, 2008 at 9:05 PM  |  reply

sooooo, have you always had curly hair? i don’t remember that. (i like it, by the way)
    also, i was thinking about the whole weird person stalker thing right as you mentioned molly being mad at you for showing your house… funny.

2. posted on Aug 14, 2008 at 9:16 PM  |  reply

I think Michael Phelps is cute too. And I wish we had a Frothy Monkey like coffee shop where I live. Alas, Starbucks has put them all out of business.

Great video…organic or not.

3. kathleen
    posted on Aug 14, 2008 at 9:19 PM  |  reply

I LOVE your hair!!!

4. posted on Aug 14, 2008 at 9:25 PM  |  reply

The hair is super cute. I would get lost in Nashville too. Oh, I still do.

5. Face
    posted on Aug 15, 2008 at 12:03 AM  |  reply

I think your hair looks fabulous, and your house is adorable. 🙂

6. posted on Aug 15, 2008 at 12:07 AM  |  reply

us nashville peeps call it FRO MO — and i must say that the monkey mocha is awesome (read: chocolate + bananas) ohhhhhh yah 🙂
    glad you found it…you’re a pro already!!

7. Lindsey
    posted on Aug 15, 2008 at 5:23 AM  |  reply

Your hair looks really adorable in this video.

Also, really good book. It’s really funny, an easy read, and makes you want to jump on a plane and go somewhere cool RIGHT THIS VERY SECOND.

And I love the staircase in FRO MO (look, I’m like a cool Nashvillian now!). I would go there just for that haha.

Nashvillian? Nashvillite? …my charade is up, clearly.

8. posted on Aug 15, 2008 at 7:23 AM  |  reply

Annie, you crack me up! Thanks for the videos. We heart them.

I’ve read that book and I loved it. I seriously wanted to go to Italy after I read it, just to spend some time eating there.

And I am in two book clubs, too, so I totally get your excitement. =)

9. posted on Aug 15, 2008 at 11:53 AM  |  reply

for the record, you don’t look stupid.

and I want a frothy monkey. did ya see ron?

10. posted on Aug 15, 2008 at 12:18 PM  |  reply

i’ve been to jittery joe’s – LOVED that place. my husband took me on one of our trips up to Athens… i think it was one of our first trips, actually. the interior eclecticism is uh-may-zing!

11. Heather
    posted on Aug 15, 2008 at 2:45 PM  |  reply

I think I love your life…..

12. Laura
    posted on Aug 15, 2008 at 7:31 PM  |  reply

take me there when i come visit you. please.

13. h
    posted on Aug 16, 2008 at 11:41 AM  |  reply

i love the hair and believe a coffee shop crush is entirely appropriate. i never even lived in athens and had a ridiculous crush on jittery joes. still have it.

cute house too.. but im with molly … id be totally scared of the creepers…

14. caren
    posted on Aug 17, 2008 at 2:52 PM  |  reply

I have a number of things to say about this…
    1. next time we see each other I will go to Jittery Joe’s first and then make a b-line for you. cause you know you always smell like it when you leave!
    2. the lisp. do I need to get my books out from college and help you with this?!! it seems a little stronger- does nashville do that to a person?
    3. LOVE the hair. why can’t mine do that?!! ugh!! straight hair blues.
    4. your house is SUPER cute. just keep the doors locked!! no wonder I like molly so much!
    5. glad you’ve found a place to hang out and enjoy.
    6. it’s 3:51pm and I’m still in my pj’s. just to help you feel better. I’m trying to pretend like summer isn’t officially over.
    7. I really miss you!

15. posted on Aug 23, 2008 at 3:21 PM  |  reply

I am so glad you found a wonderful coffee shop! That can make all the difference in a new place. But you have to be honest…nothing will compare to Jitterys. Oh how I miss those days…and those friends! Love you!