100,000 reasons to blog.

on August 19, 2008 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 21 comments by

So today I will [barring some weird blog boycott] have my 100,000th reader. Which in the grand scheme of blogging, isn’t that many. But for someone who just started a blog to copy her sister, this has turned out rather nicely. And honestly, it’s not about my numbers compared to anyone else’s numbers.

It’s about you.

I got an email this week from someone at some University doing some research on Christian girls who blog. I thought, “You gettin’ a degree in lady bloggers or somethin’?”. But no, his degree is in Communication. He asked four specific questions, but one stood out to me.

What is the purpose of your blogging online?”

Though I am not sure that question is grammatically correct, it did get me thinking.

Why do I blog?

I blog because I love to write. I blog because I can’t keep anything to myself. I blog because I like to cross things out and leave them there for no other reason than the sake of humor. I blog because it gives me a chance to make stupid jokes to a larger audience than just my roommate. [My dad can appreciate that- he loves a good crowd when its time to drop a joke.]

But really, I blog because my story isn’t for me. What God is doing in me, through me, to me, for me, around me- its great and all, but if I just keep it to myself, that isn’t enough for me. That’s not the call I feel God has placed on my life.

I blog for you. For you out there that need a laugh, need a break, need encouragement, or just need to know that someone on the other side of the screen is human and full of doubt and hurting and scared and stupid and weak and posting it nightly for you to see.

I blog for her. For that girl, or that woman, who doesn’t have a voice, or a way to express their heart to God. I blog for her to see that it starts with typing one word, letting it out, and being honest. I blog for her to see that God is enough. Even when your emotions don’t agree. And honestly, sometimes “her” is me. Because sometimes getting the words out on here BEGINS the healing process in my own heart.

I blog for them. For them that don’t know God. For them that stumble onto this blog, having no idea what this place is all about. I blog for them to maybe see a glimpse of a God who is so very loving that He is truly irresistible.

I blog for Him. I blog because God deserves my utmost praise. I sing like a donkey and can play a guitar a wee bit better than a camel, so this is my form of worship. I worship with words of complete adoration. And complete frustration [at least I’m honest, right? πŸ™‚ ]. Though there are days when I am faithless, He is always faithful. So I’ll wake up tomorrow and do it again. Write for Him. Live for Him.

So Mr. Fancy Pants College Blog Survey Dude, there is your answer.

I blog because my life is not my own. My story is not my own. I live, I write, I move- all of it- to bring Him praise.

**Congrats Grand Junction, Colorado!Β  You are #100,000!!!**

1. posted on Aug 19, 2008 at 6:58 PM  |  reply

And we are all very glad you blog. =)

• augusta
      posted on Oct 12, 2012 at 1:11 PM  |  reply

I just read “… why I blog …”, started to cry.
      Really needed to read what you had to say.
      Thank you and, well, thank you.
      augusta

2. posted on Aug 19, 2008 at 7:51 PM  |  reply

“a degree in lady bloggers” *snort* (Sorry, that shouldn’t be the thing I’m commenting about after such a profoudly spiritual post–but it made me laugh!)

3. posted on Aug 19, 2008 at 7:57 PM  |  reply

I’m so stinking proud of you, Annie. You go ‘head wit yo bad self. You’ve just about got it figured out. Love you today and am praying for you.

4. Face
    posted on Aug 19, 2008 at 10:12 PM  |  reply

And you blog so that you can put sassy beautiful pictures of yourself on the internet for all the Nashville hotties to see.

5. Barb-a-licious
    posted on Aug 19, 2008 at 10:39 PM  |  reply

oh Face. that’s good stuff!

6. posted on Aug 19, 2008 at 11:04 PM  |  reply

All I’m saying is AMEN to that, Face.

7. posted on Aug 19, 2008 at 11:34 PM  |  reply

Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do.

…I don’t know what that means.

And remember– when you’re getting ready to get in a fight, it is OKAY to attack from behind. Some people call it underhanded, but you just call it being on the offensive.

8. posted on Aug 20, 2008 at 8:32 AM  |  reply

these two sentences are my fave: “I sing like a donkey and can play a guitar a wee bit better than a camel, so this is my form of worship. I worship with words of complete adoration.” because they sum you up in my mind: completely hilarious (funniest person i know) and profoundly spiritual in a non-pushy, just honest sorta way. i love it! and i love you. thanks for bloggin’!

9. posted on Aug 20, 2008 at 11:03 AM  |  reply

Hey, congrats! I’m about to 100,000, too. How did you decipher your 100,000th visitor? I came here via Big Mama’s blogroll. Nice to meet you.

10. posted on Aug 20, 2008 at 4:04 PM  |  reply

sooo fun! I am no where near 100000. When i grow up i want to be like you.

11. posted on Aug 20, 2008 at 4:16 PM  |  reply

I’m a little bit behind you… at 73,551. But I DO have to say that I only put my counter on in October… I’m excited for the 100K – congrats!

12. posted on Aug 20, 2008 at 4:36 PM  |  reply

Funny, Annie. I think my blog is close to a hundred visitors by now (not a hundred thousand, you understand). If I visit myself like crazy, I’ll get noticed by myself and have to answer a question like you did, for myself. Second question will be, “How do you keep yourself from being narcissistic? And I’ll poll myself to find out.

Kidding. Great job, you’re awesome.

13. posted on Aug 20, 2008 at 8:15 PM  |  reply

Okay, I also enjoy marking through things I have said….but I do not know how to do it!!! Please help me learn as I think it is very important in my use of sarcasm πŸ˜‰ hahaha

14. Debs
    posted on Aug 21, 2008 at 8:09 AM  |  reply

Congrats on 100K Annie…I am fairly new to blog reading…but it is my “new cup of java” in the morning…at work!…don’t tell my boss! ha…I am reading The Prayer of Jabez..ok…I am a late, ( it has been out for 8 years!) …but He has “increased your territory” for sure! Keep on writing πŸ™‚

15. posted on Aug 21, 2008 at 11:59 AM  |  reply

i see you’re still playing with picnik…. niiiiice πŸ™‚

16. posted on Aug 23, 2008 at 12:28 AM  |  reply

Got to you through my cousin, Sarah. Thank you for writing and inspiring. Thank you for putting it into perspective–that if we write for HIM then we have our greatest audience already.

17. posted on Feb 22, 2009 at 12:12 AM  |  reply

Hey Annie, it’s Kerri! I really like what you said about how what God’s doing in your life isn’t just for you, and I can identify with it. This year, God has been doing so many things in my life and in my heart. One of those things has been to urge me to connect with other people and let go of my insecurities that kept me isolated. So I’ve been making an effort to talk through my issues WHILE I’m experiencing them rather than afterwards, and just this week, I’ve had two friends tell me that they are taking risks in their lives to resolve their issues because they’ve been inspired by watching me deal with things. So, perhaps I’ll be a little more public in my writings as well. Thanks for putting yourself out there!

18. posted on Aug 07, 2010 at 6:58 PM  |  reply

I love this. You’re going on my blogroll asap. πŸ™‚

19. posted on Oct 23, 2012 at 8:23 PM  |  reply

Thank you! I love your posts and I loved your description of why you blog!! This week someone asked me that same question and my answer in my head was pretty much what you have written here. To see it in print on your blog brought tears to my eyes! Someone else feels the same!!! It was so great to visit your site today! Congrats on your 100K!!!

20. McKinley the great
    posted on May 19, 2013 at 12:47 PM  |  reply

100,000 people have been deeply blessed with your wise words, Annie!