Catherine.

on September 1, 2008 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 7 comments by

My friends Donnie and Katie had a baby girl about two weeks ago. There were many complications that they found out about during pregnancy- here is a quote from their blog (because I am not NEAR smart enough to explain this), written to their newborn daughter Catherine.

“on april 2, at 17 weeks and 6 days pregnant, we got great news! it was a sweet little girl growing inside of me and we would get to buy lots of pink and frilly things! but we also got some very sad news. on the same ultrasound we saw that your heart was on the wrong side of your body, and that your stomach was up in your chest next to your heart. this means you have a congenital diaphragmatic hernia. silly diaphragm not closing like it should…there is a chance more things in your belly could slide up there into your chest, but that’s actually not the biggest problem-that could be fixed with surgery pretty easily once you get out here and meet us. the problem is that your heart is now taking up the right side of your chest and your stomach is taking up the left side of your chest, and your lungs might not ever have a chance to grow without anything in their way.”

As of today, she is doing far better than anyone expected. On Tuesday, September 2, she will be having her first surgery.

Please pray for baby Catherine and for her parents Donnie and Katie. God could not have picked two more trustworthy servants to bring Him glory in all of this. We believe that NOTHING is impossible for Him. We claim 1 Corinthians 14:33- “For God is not a God of disorder but of peace”- may He continue to bring peace to Donnie, Katie, and their families as well as bring order to Catherine’s organs.

You can read all the letters to Catherine during the pregnancy HERE at their blog. (Have tissues, you mommy-bloggers out there.) This is also the best place to keep up with them during/after surgery.

Donnie and Katie, you are in our hearts. Much love, and prayers, to you both and to sweet Catherine.

[All comments will be sent directly to Donnie and Katie, if you’d like to leave a prayer or word of encouragement or specific scripture for them. You are also welcome to comment on their blog directly.]

1. Southern Gal
    posted on Sep 01, 2008 at 8:37 AM  |  reply

Thanks for letting us know, Annie. I’ll go there now and leave a comment.
    Renee

2. posted on Sep 01, 2008 at 1:50 PM  |  reply

the elmers have told me all about baby catherine. her family is in our prayers. i found this poem that i thought is perfect:

My Father’s way may twist and turn
    My heart may throb and ache
    But in my soul I’m glad to know
    He maketh no mistake.

My cherished plans may go astray
    My hopes may fade away
    But still I trust my Lord to lead
    For Father knows the way.

Though night be dark and it may seem
    That day will never break
    I’ll pin my faith, my all on Him
    Who maketh no mistake.

There’s so much now I cannot see
    My eye is still so dim
    But come what may, I still can trust
    And leave it all to Him.

For by and by the mist will lift
    And darkness turn to day
    Then looking back we’ll praise His name
    Who led us all the way.

“For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.” Rom.8:18

3. posted on Sep 01, 2008 at 1:54 PM  |  reply

Psalm 139:13 For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.

14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.

15 My frame was not hidden from you
    when I was made in the secret place.
    When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,

16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
    All the days ordained for me
    were written in your book
    before one of them came to be.

17 How precious to me are your thoughts, God!
    How vast is the sum of them!

18 Were I to count them,
    they would outnumber the grains of sand—
    when I awake, I am still with you.

4. posted on Sep 02, 2008 at 2:02 PM  |  reply

precious! i don’t know what to day but that God takes care of his littlest ones with the gentlest hands.

praying for baby catharine.

5. Heather
    posted on Sep 02, 2008 at 10:30 PM  |  reply

great post…Katie is a sweet precious friend of my sister and we are holding them up in prayer daily…

6. posted on Sep 04, 2008 at 8:38 AM  |  reply

Hey! How’s the writing coming? I am keeping up with Catherine. She is precious and tiny and sweet and beautiful and is SO in my prayers.
    You are too – hope you get your gazillion pages written. That makes my head hurt and makes me want chocolate in some form.

7. posted on Sep 04, 2008 at 8:39 AM  |  reply

Hey Annie, Keep us updated on her, ok? Praying.