It was delicious.

on September 5, 2008 in That's delish. with 13 comments by

And it would be rude of me to not share.

So here was my dinner last night.  It was delicious and really pretty healthy.  So make this for dinner over the weekend, sit out on your porch, and enjoy the first hints of Fall.  You will be happy.  Or your blog money back.  [Yeah, I don’t have real money to give you.  Blog money is kinda like of Stanley nickels.]

Let me tell you how to do it.

First, make your own tortilla chips.  Seriously, it is easy and SO MUCH CHEAPER and SO MUCH MORE HEALTHY than buying a bag of chips.  I used whole grain tortillas.  Here’s how:

Cut stack of tortillas into 8 wedges each. Spread wedges in a single layer on baking sheet. Sprinkle with cumin and salt. Bake at 375 degrees about 10 minutes, turning after 5 minutes.

Start those and then make this salsa (I left out the avocados, but just because it lasts longer in the fridge and I’m the only one eating it).  Here’s how:

4 plum tomatoes, chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (4-ounce) package crumbled feta cheese
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 avocados, chopped
Assorted tortilla chips [homemade, people. Just do it.]

Stir together first 9 ingredients. Gently stir in avocado just before serving. [or don’t.  I didn’t.]

Then I browned one pound of turkey and mixed it with fajita seasoning instead of taco seasoning, unless you want to use taco.  I’m not the boss of you.  Do yo thang.

I put lettuce down first, then the turkey, then the salsa.

Y’all.

Apparently my eyes were bigger than my stomach.  But it was Oh. So. Good.  Trust me on this one.

I have nothing else to say except Amen and have a great weekend.

1. posted on Sep 05, 2008 at 3:23 PM  |  reply

YUM! I want some!

2. posted on Sep 05, 2008 at 4:50 PM  |  reply

You are IMPRESSIVE.

And I will be seeing you in about an hour. It’s time for me to blow my Temptress popsicle stand – and not a moment too soon.

3. Face
    posted on Sep 05, 2008 at 6:18 PM  |  reply

Funny you should share a recipe bc we just had Annie Downs’ Tortilla Soup for dinner tonight! It’s a Hunt family FAVORITE.
    And, my, don’t those timeless swirly dishes look nice?!

4. posted on Sep 05, 2008 at 6:26 PM  |  reply

I’m sitting here reading blogs while trying to decide what to cook for dinner. And now I MUST go cook dinner, because this post reminded me of how hungry I am. I only wish I had the ingredients to create such an impressive feast.

5. posted on Sep 05, 2008 at 10:52 PM  |  reply

Awww… thanks for reminding me of Stanley nickels. Same as the ratio of unicorns to leprechauns! 🙂

Looks awfully yummy!

6. posted on Sep 06, 2008 at 5:20 AM  |  reply

oh. my. (or should i say YOUR) goodness. yummo!

7. posted on Sep 06, 2008 at 6:32 AM  |  reply

this was so “pioneer woman cooks”.. (you know the blog?) impressive photos and all.. now i’ve got to go buy cumin, feta, parsley, and whole wheat tortillas… exciting!

8. posted on Sep 06, 2008 at 8:29 AM  |  reply

YUMMM!! Definitely my meal for after church tomorrow (because I don’t have all the ingredients today.) And I’m afraid I will be eating it in my air conditioned house because it is over 100 degrees here still. I am jealous of all you bloggers talking about the ‘fall weather.’

9. posted on Sep 06, 2008 at 9:26 AM  |  reply

Yum! Looks delicious!! When’s the cookbook coming out?? =)

10. posted on Sep 06, 2008 at 10:40 AM  |  reply

No fall weather for me yet, either…

But your dinner looks GREAT! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I’ll definitely try making the chips.

11. posted on Sep 06, 2008 at 12:08 PM  |  reply

Annie! Looks amazing and I am making this for dinner this week! Thanks for posting the salsa recipe!

12. posted on Sep 07, 2008 at 8:22 PM  |  reply

hi annie!
    ok, you’re so cute. I love how you put, :here’s how, ok, here’s how, homeade tortilla chips, people just do it! you make me laugh real hard.
    everything looked good EXCEPT the nasty browned turkey. I just can’t do that. otherwise, it looked tasty. are you still eating that tonite as we speak? I can’t wait to see you soon!!! love, me and I love your new blog design!!

13. posted on Sep 08, 2008 at 7:25 PM  |  reply

Wow, this looks SO delicious! I met you through Sarah Markley. You are a hit. I’m adding you to my blog list. 🙂 I’ve been checking your blog out for the last couple months. You have such a great sense of humor.

Oh, and thanks for the recipe!