Quirk it up, yo.

on September 19, 2008 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 25 comments by

My friend Mandy tagged me this week on her blog.  I’m supposed to list 6 things about myself that are considered “quirky”.  Now, I’m going to start with six, but I can’t promise you anything.  We could go all the way to 43.  Who knows.  I’m going to try to not repeat any of my random facts that I listed a few months ago or the list I made when I hit 10,000 readers.  Which is challenging.

#1- I drink orange juice every night before I go to bed.  [Which the trainer dude keeps reminding me is a really poor choice since my body doesn’t handle sugar all that well.  I remind trainer dude that “at least I’m not eating Moose Tracks so back off”, or something of that nature.]

#2- I easily crush on guys who write funny things.  Like this guy, who told the weather not to get sassy.  That’s funny.  Dave Barnes once talked about emails to his heart- and that is pretty much how it goes for me regarding all forms of written communication.  Wanna win me over, suitor?  Write it down.

#3- I rub my feet together when I get tired.  My bfry Candace used to notice even before I did.  “You tired over there?”, she’d say, because she saw my feet rubbing together while watching TV or something.  Is that quirky or normal?  I don’t know.

#4- Today is my Dad’s birthday.  He was born 30 years before me.  Both my grandmothers were born 30 years before him.  1920. 1950. 1980.  [2010?  We’ll just have to wait and see about that.  Quit pressuring me, gah.]  My Dad is a quirk all his own- there aren’t enough numbers to list how hilariously quirky my Dad is.  I’ll give you one- when we eat at a restaurant, he has to sit so he can see the door.  It’s a “safety thing”, he says.  My Dad is completely awesome and I’m super grateful for him. [I would do an entire post on him, but I’ve been a wee bit sad and homesick and emotional lately, so I just might not survive it were I to attempt any kind of sappiness.]

#5- I add up the numbers in a license plate or a phone number and I “win” if the numbers add up to 9 (that’s as high as possible- if it gets to 10, I add 1+0 and get 1.)

Here’s an example- random license plate- LDR3910

3 + 9 + 1 + 0 = 13.  1 + 3 = 4.  I lose.

Here’s a winning example- WEL42867

4 + 2 + 8 + 6 +7 = 27.  2 + 7 = 9. I win.  [And yes, I am this big of a dork all the time.]

#6- I went through a season a few summers ago when I was a nanny and I became a pretty decent Texas Hold ‘Em player.  They nicknamed me Annie Duke.  Then they took all my money.

So there you have it.  Now, between this post and the other two, I’m seriously running low on weird things about me that you don’t know.  What I’m saying is that you have a lot of AMMO at your disposal should you ever need to embarrass me in public or something of the sort.

I don’t tag people in things like this anymore because I get way obsessive compulsive about checking their blogs to see if they also have 6 or so quirky things about themselves.  It’s really not healthy for my mind or my friendships.

But play along!!  Leave one quirk in the comments or leave a link to your blog where you list your own quirks. Seriously, nothing makes people happier than reading about other people’s crazy.  So jump on board and spill your beans.  You think you have the strangest quirk?

Bring it.

1. tatum
    posted on Sep 19, 2008 at 5:28 PM  |  reply

#3. i do that too. and jenny used to call me out on it all the time!

and we just got wireless. so booyah. i’ll be here more often.

2. mandy mann
    posted on Sep 19, 2008 at 5:57 PM  |  reply

i like your quirks….

3. Lisa S
    posted on Sep 19, 2008 at 6:17 PM  |  reply

you just crack me up! when you are in greenville- to my house you must go I must hear more of you stories face to face. – aaron’s mom

4. posted on Sep 19, 2008 at 6:18 PM  |  reply

love you annie!

5. Southern Gal
    posted on Sep 19, 2008 at 7:19 PM  |  reply

I type words with my fingers all day long. I hear a long word and I start typing it in my mind and with my fingers! Sort of like an invisible keyboard always available. Still don’t type that fast.

My daughter can type 100 words a minute. I can’t even see her fingers moving!

6. posted on Sep 19, 2008 at 7:20 PM  |  reply

I have racked my brain for some odd habit I have (and I even asked hubby and kids) but I couldn’t think of much. The only thing I could think of is that I don’t like any icons on my desktop. That’s quirky, isn’t it?

7. posted on Sep 19, 2008 at 7:43 PM  |  reply

I feel compelled to let you know that P also has to always sit facing the door in a restaurant for safety reasons. I cannot count the number of times I’ve had to listen to the story of Billy the Kid while P moves his chair to face the door.

Too many.

8. posted on Sep 19, 2008 at 8:04 PM  |  reply

I cannot stand the feel of dishwasher cleaned dishes (non plastic ones). If they squeak as I put them away it’s like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

This quirk has served me well. My husband does all the dishes in our house. Booyah!

9. posted on Sep 19, 2008 at 8:10 PM  |  reply

wow. where do i begin? these don’t seem quirky to me…as much as they seem normal…

is it normal that whenever a car behind me lets me in front, not only do i wave, i always SAY OUT LOUD, “thank you!!”…as if they can actually hear me…

i always have the same routine in the shower. wet my hair, shampoo, rinse. condition. lather my body in Dove shower cream, shave the right leg, then the left, then the goods, then my underarms (right, then left). rinse out conditioner. wash my face. rinse off entire body. what can i say? i like routine..

i color code my iCal. but that’s normal, right? pink is personal. green is work. red is where i sleep at night (it varies!) yellow is when i fast, purple is how many miles i walk/bike per day, turquoise is crunches per day i do, blue is birthdays, orange is anniversaries…

oh. you just said one. maybe i’m quirkier than i thought…

10. posted on Sep 19, 2008 at 10:41 PM  |  reply

Uh, I leave socks all over the house. I mean, ALL OVER. Hey, my feet get hot, like instantly, and I have to take off my socks. And I go sockless even in winter before bed because I can’t sleep with hot feet. I’ve even been known to stick’em in an ice cold bath before bed. Or step out into the snow for thirty seconds. And I’ve been married, happily, for 15 years. I guess you could say I’m the only guy on earth with self-induced cold feet without commitment issues.

11. posted on Sep 20, 2008 at 8:39 AM  |  reply

I love quirks. And number two? I do that with either gender. Funny people just make me laugh and I want to hang out with them and be their friend.

Hence, you.

Here’s my most recent 7 Random Things post.

12. posted on Sep 20, 2008 at 9:59 AM  |  reply

i also rub my feet together when i’m tired…that’s funny..i don’t know many who do. and i also have to face the door in a restaurant or anywhere for that matter. and one more…although i could list many more (i have OCD) i must have 12 swipes of deodorant on each arm EVERY morning!! lol

13. posted on Sep 20, 2008 at 7:49 PM  |  reply

This is fun. And I’m ridiculously quirky (good? bad?), so I think I’ll do it on my blog, too.
    But after the Auburn game. Cuz right now, I can’t breathe and I’m outta fingernails to chew off.

14. Missy @ It's Almost Naptime
    posted on Sep 21, 2008 at 1:00 AM  |  reply

I do the foot rub thing too. It is very comforting. A little weird, but soothing. In a weird way. A weird, soothing way.

15. posted on Sep 21, 2008 at 9:57 AM  |  reply

I’ve been listening to The Hobbit over and over for about 5 years. It is warm and comfortable so beautifully is it written. Read by Rob Inglis @ Recorded Books in the perfect British accent. So good.

16. Kelli
    posted on Sep 21, 2008 at 10:38 AM  |  reply

Brian also has to sit facing the door at restaurants. Maybe it’s a man thing? I like to mess with him sometimes and sit where I know he “needs” to. But then we always have to switch.

17. posted on Sep 21, 2008 at 10:14 PM  |  reply

My hubs always sits facing the door of a restaraunt. ALWAYS. I rub my feet together or even better – against the cold sheets in my bed. I do not add up license plates because that would require way too much thought – one should never think and drive.

18. posted on Sep 22, 2008 at 12:12 AM  |  reply

My husband adds up license plates, letters on street signs, etc., until they are EVEN. Somehow, he can always make them come out even. Or else, he goes crazy.

And I wanted to share one of MY nick names of old… Annie Rice. Oh yes, I was headed for Colfax High celebrity with my football receiving skills. Mad, I tell you. But alas, our Powder Puff game was canceled for reasons I do not remember.

19. Meredith
    posted on Sep 22, 2008 at 11:44 AM  |  reply

Quirks? hmm… This is harder than I thought it would be. I drink OJ every morning first thing. Don’t park in my yard unless you want me to tell you NOT to park in my yard. I don’t sleep with socks on. Pretty habitual in my showering as well.

20. posted on Sep 22, 2008 at 5:44 PM  |  reply

I can’t stand some textures, like the feel of paper against my skin (dry…shiver!!), chalk or chalkboards (again, dry…eeek!), and, like Kat, the feel of clean glassware pulled from the dishwasher (that dry thing again). Weird!

21. posted on Sep 23, 2008 at 10:47 AM  |  reply

Annie, we are friends through the six points of contact. I’ll explain later. It’s incredibly random, but I do live in Athens as of now and I’m learning to be a dawgs fan because they pay the bills around here.
    Anyway, a couple of quirks: I can’t wink with my left eye. It doesn’t work and I hate to touch ice or hear it or see it. All of those things make me cold and I hate to be cold. I’m totally weird.

22. posted on Sep 23, 2008 at 4:12 PM  |  reply

I have to have Blistex on my lips or I can’t go to sleep. And it has to be the ointment-type in the tube…no “balm” for these lips. And don’t even try to substitute my Blistex with an inferior brand. Burt’s Bees – please.

23. posted on Sep 23, 2008 at 9:38 PM  |  reply

For so long now I thought I was the only one who did #3! But alas, after reading your post and some of your comments, I have feet rubbing friends out there! Maybe we should start a group of Facebook?…

Umm, quirky things about me (besides foot on foot rubbing)…you might know some since you’ve spent a good amount of time with me. But I also have a shower routine that I do everyday (which I will not go into unlike one of your commenters…shaving the goods? C’mon). Every clock in my house, my watch and the clock in my house have to be set to the same time. It really bothers me when one of them is a minute or so off. Also, I like to wear colored undershirts…that’s my thing I guess.

Later. Miss you Annie!!!

24. posted on Sep 23, 2008 at 9:40 PM  |  reply

That was supposed to be clock in my car, not clock in my house by the way. So it was supposed to read: Every clock in my house, my watch and the clock in my car have to be set to the same time. My b!

I miss you still Annie.

25. posted on Sep 24, 2008 at 11:22 PM  |  reply

I also rub my feet together when I am tired! Funny! I didn’t know anyone else did that…and no one has ever noticed that I do that…but it’s a nightly thing! haha!
    Glad to know this is just one more thing that we have in common! You’re great!