Annie of 2007 would be ashamed.

on October 7, 2008 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 17 comments by

In my former life [as a normal adult with a job in a city with friends and family], I was quite the happy homemaker.

I owned my own house.  If you are new around these parts, you may not know how much I absolutely loved my house.  I wrote about it HERE, but honestly.  I can’t really talk about it still or look at the pictures because I miss my life that house terribly.  It makes my stomach hurt and my throat tighten.

Don’t mess with a woman inclined to nest, people.

It was beautifully full of my stuff.  Every room decorated.  Guest bedroom was always ready, when not occupied by roommate, and was an inviting shade of green.  Pictures on the walls.  Tupperware in the cabinet.  A stupid amount of towels in the linen closet. All my serving pieces in the garage, neatly arranged. My hope chest doubling as a sofa table.  Beautiful BEAUTIFUL artwork.

And here in Nashville, I have my college bedroom furniture, my beloved big fluffy chair, and a bookshelf from school.  The rest of my furniture is in storage.  In Atlanta.

I have gone back to being a college kid.  I thought the freedom would be glorious. It’s not. I miss being a real adult with my own house and my own stuff so bad it could make me cry if we sat here long enough and thought about it together.

So let’s not do that.  Let’s focus on the funny.

For my friends from ATL who lived life with me on Woodsford Road, you are really going to be in shock and awe at this.  Yes, the Master of Tupperware, Diva of the Leftover Dish, Patron Saint of Plastic Containers, had to store her homemade veggie soup in this-

AYE CARUMBA!  A pitcher?!!?  You should have seen the terror on my face when I realized that there was no tupperware the appropriate size in the kitchen.  Because tupperware = domesticity.  In case you weren’t aware.

My friend EmCat can attest to this- when she was helping me pack up my house, I believe she labeled one box “MORE TUPPERWARE WHAT A SHOCKER”.  Because, and this is a rabbit trail, but in 1999 the KMart on Barnett Shoals Road in Athens went out of business and I purchased a 50 piece Martha Stewart tupperware set for $10 and I did not even crack that puppy open until about 2003 because it was such a prize I felt it needed to be kept in mint condition until absolutely necessary to use. [Please read that in one breath because that’s how I wrote it.]

So, all that to say, I have a lot of tupperware. In a wide variety of sizes.

Unfortunately, the aforementioned labeled box is, in fact, in storage in Atlanta.  So I’ve had to store my soup in a pitcher for 5 days.

Yep.  5 days.  And I ate every last drop of it.  Because though I wasn’t raised in the 1920s, I sometimes conserve like it.

But for future reference, I did make a note on the recipe: “Better suited for the Brady Bunch than a Singlet.”

And I made another note to myself: “Bring tupperware to Nashville.

1. EmCat
    posted on Oct 07, 2008 at 11:20 PM  |  reply

I am left speechless, because if i recall correctly, along with the medium sized box FULL of tupperware, there was one LARGE trash bag also FULL, and some assorted pieces stuck in other random boxes. This of course does not include the pieces that were thrown away. Just thinking about it leaves me in amazement at such a collection. Which is now out of use, and in storage.

2. posted on Oct 07, 2008 at 11:32 PM  |  reply

I’m just glad you didn’t blend it and drink it. Or use Gorilla tape to take the wax off it (See Linda’s blog).

3. posted on Oct 07, 2008 at 11:55 PM  |  reply

lol, i thought that’s what pitchers were for???? gggeeeezz…i been doin it wrong all this time??? it makes it easier to pour into a bowl, don’t ya know???

4. candace
    posted on Oct 08, 2008 at 6:06 AM  |  reply

because i lived with you for half of my life i think i started to think that every home (um…70’s style apartment) came with 2 tons of tupperware. Therefore, guess what i forgot to register for when i got married-tupperware-and it’s your fault.

5. posted on Oct 08, 2008 at 7:12 AM  |  reply

1. Please post the soup recipe because that pitcher looks absolutely yummy.

2. Kmart on Barnett Shoals is still up and running – after 5 ka-jillion going-out-of-business sales. Holla!

3. I’m going online right now to look for the Martha Stewart tupper ware set. Why didn’t anyone tell me about this before?!

6. Susan
    posted on Oct 08, 2008 at 7:18 AM  |  reply

Love it. 50 piece Tupperware set for $10? Well done!

Will you share your recipe for the soup?! 🙂

7. Southern Gal
    posted on Oct 08, 2008 at 7:28 AM  |  reply

I’ve been married for 28 years this month and the one thing I need more of is tupperware. I actually had a tupperware shower, but over the years pieces went missing or warped, etc. I’m now down to bare bones. What a wonderful idea…pitcher for soup!
    I’ll have to give it a try ’cause the way the economy is right now I’m making do with what I have in the house.

Renee

P.S. I had to leave a house we built for something smaller when my hubby let me quit work and stay home with my sweet baby girl. I still can’t ride by that house without tearing up.

8. Southern Gal
    posted on Oct 08, 2008 at 7:30 AM  |  reply

Oh, I forgot to mention. Are you familiar with Angie Smith’s blog, http://www.audreycaroline.blogspot.com?

Her hubby, Todd Smith of Selah fame, was on the FRONT ROW last night during the debate. Bald, green shirt.

Since you did the video on the debate and Belmont, I had to tell you.

Renee

9. Southern Gal
    posted on Oct 08, 2008 at 7:30 AM  |  reply

Wow. I’ve got to start emailing you.

me again

10. Meredith
    posted on Oct 08, 2008 at 11:55 AM  |  reply

Additional note to self… Tupperware is not a national word. In fact it’s quite regional. So… my friend since your blog is NATIONAL you might want to let the world know that Tupperware is also know as Rubbermaid. Which you might want to know if you are shipping 30 employees Tupperware containers. I mean… somedays you just might want to know that…

11. posted on Oct 08, 2008 at 11:59 AM  |  reply

Good save Mer. Good save.

12. posted on Oct 08, 2008 at 12:16 PM  |  reply

you have been tagged!!

13. Face
    posted on Oct 08, 2008 at 1:36 PM  |  reply

Oh, the ghetto KMart.

14. posted on Oct 08, 2008 at 2:54 PM  |  reply

Martha Stewart makes some amazing tupperware. I’m jealous. My tupperware consists of the dollar store plastic containers that friends delivered food to me in when I had my babies. If you ever see a deal like that again, please contact me…

15. posted on Oct 08, 2008 at 7:12 PM  |  reply

So, when you say Tupperware you mean anything with a plastic lid? I have a friend who sells Tupperware and all I can think of when she starts gabbing about it, is the scene from Airplane where the air stewardess is sitting around a campfire in the African jungle extolling the virtues of a Tupperware that “keeps your hotdog buns dry in the coming monsoon season.” Sorry, had to share my 80s flashback.

16. posted on Oct 09, 2008 at 5:09 PM  |  reply

Well the soup does look good my friend. I have been living partially from boxes since the July BEFORE last. So I feel you on this oh-so-much.

If I lived closer, I would bring you tupperware and come and eat soup.

Hey my sister in law lives just east of town… maybe I should connect you all??? She’s a lot like me, actually. We even look nearly the same. Its a little creepy for my brother, but I doubt it would be you (‘specially since we don’t actually “know” each other)

17. cbed
    posted on Oct 11, 2008 at 10:18 AM  |  reply

You are more like Colonel every day. Not really.