SHUT UP Brownies

on October 20, 2008 in That's delish. with 10 comments by

Of course, you don’t HAVE to call them that.  In some places, such as my classroom, “Shut up” is considered a bad word and unusable.  But.  Seriously.  When I pulled these puppies out of the oven, it was the first thing that came out of my mouth.  After a quick application of a bit of 50% less sugar icing.  Mmm….

And, just in case that picture doesn’t persuade you to make them, this fact will.  NO SUGAR. NO CARBS.  STILL GOOD BROWNIES.

I know what you are thinking and no, I will not shut up.

Here is the recipe.

SHUT UP BROWNIES (aka muffins aka “Good for ya brownies”)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Spray muffin pan. I use my pampered chef muffin stone & it comes out perfect. [This is actually what the recipe said, I don’t personally own a pampered chef muffin stone.  Though just the thought of it makes me drool more than these brownies.]

In one bowl, stir:

2 Cups oat bran

[I photographed said “oat bran” because seriously I had NO IDEA what this junk was.  It is in the hot cereal area of the grocery.]

1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
Package of fat free/sugar free chocolate pudding mix, small
1/4 Cup of cocoa, unsweetened
1/2 Cup Splenda [I don’t LOVE Splenda, but it worked.  I feel all chemically on the inside if I eat too much Splenda.  But that’s really an “Annie problem” and probably not “blog worthy”.] Pinch of salt

In another bowl, mix:

3 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
1 Cup fat free milk
2 very ripe bananas mashed
1 TBS. instant espresso coffee crystals

Add liquid bowl into dry bowl, mix quickly.  It will be pretty thick, but that is fine.  I promise.  Don’t go pouring milk or chicken broth or something all up in the batter.  Let it be.  Okay?

Pour into muffin pan. For example, my muffin pan is shaped like footballs.  Because that is how the ladies of the SEC roll.

Bake for about 25 minutes or until done.  Cute, huh?  You ain’t seen nothing yet…..  (I know the colors of these pics are crazy, sorry.)

You can also make these as muffins or a cake.  Adjust cooking time if you do a cake.  I have no clue how long- until the knife comes out steamy and clean.  [Very technical directions, I know.]

Look at my sweet friend Graham holding them SHUT UP BROWNIES.  Heck yes I decorated them like footballs.  It was game day and the Georgia Bulldogs deserve nothing less.  Some people support with their “monetary contributions to the University” or something ridiculously useful useless like that.

And I?  I bake.  Honestly, what more should be asked of an alumni?

P.S- Can we talk about why in the world I am baking and cooking like crazy these days?  I have no idea.  I know what you are thinking and yes, I AM going to make a fine wife some day.  And trust me, I’ve been saying that for YEARS.  We just need some cute dude to listen….. 🙂

1. Susan
    posted on Oct 20, 2008 at 8:41 AM  |  reply

Seriously now…how can you go wrong with something named Shut Up Brownies. Delish indeed!

Oh and if you have any more healthy soup-ish/stew-ish type recipes…please pass them along. 🙂

2. John Ireland
    posted on Oct 20, 2008 at 8:49 AM  |  reply

so, think yuo could FedEx some of those up to the Lexington, KY area? just gotta adjust the colors for UK 🙂

3. posted on Oct 20, 2008 at 9:14 AM  |  reply

you crack me up, Annie D. i love the things you say to make me laugh!!!

4. posted on Oct 20, 2008 at 9:32 AM  |  reply

You go, girl.

I just so happen to own that Pampered Chef muffin stone…

I’ll let you know how they come out!

5. posted on Oct 20, 2008 at 10:06 AM  |  reply

Oh girl!! Some dude is gonna listen (better make sure he is down with artificial sweeteners though). You WILL make a fine wife someday, but until then keep wowing us, your blogging friends, with your mad skillz.

6. posted on Oct 20, 2008 at 10:31 AM  |  reply

I’ve got to try those. My husband made me stop baking since we have no self control and eat a whole cake in a couple days between the two of us, but with no sugar and no carbs then you have no guilt. =) And your decorating skills are superb!

7. Southern Gal
    posted on Oct 20, 2008 at 12:24 PM  |  reply

Got a friend who has developed gestational diabetes. I may try these on her.

My middle son, when he was about 2 1/2, used to say, “You be hushing down now.” All because we told him shut up was a bad word.

Hushing down brownies??
    Renee

8. candace
    posted on Oct 20, 2008 at 6:06 PM  |  reply

i bet those would be good with a little spray butter.

9. posted on Oct 26, 2008 at 6:07 PM  |  reply

I just stumbled upon your blog today via your comment on Accidental Traveler. And I’m glad I did because that looks like a good recipe that I’ll have to try. I also have been very bakey/cooking lately which is odd for me but I agree that it’s fun to be domestic but much better if you have someone to bake for. 🙂 Thanks for the recipe!

10. posted on Mar 21, 2013 at 12:06 AM  |  reply

[…] finder on my computer and I came across a recipe that I did not remember at all. They were called Shut Up Brownies–I just searched the original blog for them and I see she published it in 2008–that has […]