How deep the Father’s love for us.

on November 5, 2008 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 24 comments by

I took a break from writing yesterday to grab some lunch.

I try, usually, to eat lunch at home, but due to some circumstances that I couldn’t control, working ten or so hours has become the order of the day for the next few days.

So I went up to the counter, ordered a curry chicken salad on toasted multi-grain bread. With a side of fruit.

I headed back to my seat, absolutely mentally exhausted, and stuck my headphones in.  I kinda started staring off into the distance, at a beautiful piece of abstract art across the room from me, letting my poor brain rest. Being so out of it, I was mildly stunned when the worker bee brought my sandwich.

“Whoops, sorry.  Thanks dude,” I said, now back in reality, to the same shaggy-haired blonde guy who works here everyday.

I started to eat and oh my gracious it was delicious.  That kind of delicious that makes you inspect the sandwich, wondering if something special is in it or if there is some visible sign to indicate the added awesome.

My iTunes was on shuffle. One less thing I wanted to think about.  I’m eating my sandwich, and again staring off, not really putting my brain’s depleated power towards any one thing.

And then the song starts.

How deep the Father’s love for us. How vast beyond all measure. That He should give His only Son to make a wretch His treasure.

How great the pain of searing loss.  The Father turns His face away.  As wounds that mar the Chosen One, bring many sons to glory.

I am again jerked back to reality. By these truths, that I’ve known for years.  But isn’t it interesting that in certain moments, random blips on the screen of your life, something old becomes new again?

Behold the Man upon a cross.  My sin upon His shoulder.  Ashamed I hear my mocking voice, call out among the scoffers.

It was my sin that held Him there.  Until it was accomplished.  His dying breath has brought me life.  I know that it is finished.

Wait. What?  I had to stop eating.  The lyrics.  They were cutting me.  I did that?  I did that to Him?  MY sin?

I will not boast in anything, no gifts no power no wisdom.  But I will boast in Jesus Christ- His death and resurrection.  Why should I gain for His reward?  I can not give an answer.  But this I know with all my heart- His wounds have paid my ransom.

Because the blog I planned to write yesterday, well, it was severely different. I was ready to whine and complain and give you my very educated opinion of how my life SHOULD be going.

Instead. How deep the Father’s love for me.

Here I sit, in Nashville, at lunch time, in Frothy Monkey, being a full time writer.  A year ago?  This would have been a dream.  A dream that I wouldn’t even have the framework to construct.  And yet, how deep the Father’s love for me that this is my life now.

And that my sins, the nasty bunch they are, were upon His shoulder.  And I’m redeemed, forgiven, loved, connected, because of that.  I have a hope and a future that is [obviously] out of my control and bigger than I know how to contain.  Or prepare for.

Who can complain when these are the cards stacked in our favor?

I can’t get this loop out of my head.  For days before, and probably days after, I will be reminding myself of this.

That’s the kind of lunch date I’ve waited my whole life for.

1. posted on Nov 05, 2008 at 8:26 AM  |  reply

thank God he loves us and thank God he has a plan for us. i’m scared and disappointed about the election… but He loves us. i’m trusting in that xoxoox

2. posted on Nov 05, 2008 at 8:32 AM  |  reply

OH! and btw: I’M SO PROUD OF YOU! I LOVE YOUR LIFE! IT’S A DREAM ONLY GOD COULD COME UP WITH xxooxox

3. posted on Nov 05, 2008 at 9:16 AM  |  reply

**picks her jaw up off the floor**
    you rock, annie!! on the anniversary of the day my son was killed i was thinking about how rough i have it…thanks for the reminder that my troubles and struggles don’t even compare to what my Saviour went through for me!!

4. posted on Nov 05, 2008 at 9:19 AM  |  reply

How beautiful (the post, not the sandwich, or is it the other way around?)

I love that song too and cannot listen to it without being moved. God is too good to us that we should complain- ever
    (I love the line who can complain when the cards are stacked in our favor, I will have to remember that one). But I still do. Sweet mercy. Thanks for the reminder. Like many, many others, I so love your blog.

5. posted on Nov 05, 2008 at 10:03 AM  |  reply

I love it when “old” things become new again like that. What a blessing!

6. posted on Nov 05, 2008 at 10:07 AM  |  reply

YOU are absolutely gorgeous. yes you are.

stunning.

7. posted on Nov 05, 2008 at 10:08 AM  |  reply

Great post!

But I can’t get past the fact that your brain’s power is flat front and not pleated.

8. Shana
    posted on Nov 05, 2008 at 10:40 AM  |  reply

Oh Annie- I love you!

9. John Ireland
    posted on Nov 05, 2008 at 11:19 AM  |  reply

amen and amen…

10. Bethanne
    posted on Nov 05, 2008 at 11:29 AM  |  reply

ummm, yeah, I needed to hear that today……really, I did.

11. Southern Gal
    posted on Nov 05, 2008 at 11:44 AM  |  reply

Reality check.
    Thanks Annie.

Renee

12. Kristi Kay
    posted on Nov 05, 2008 at 12:47 PM  |  reply

Beautiful you are.

13. posted on Nov 05, 2008 at 1:02 PM  |  reply

Amen, sister. I came looking for hopeful prospects amid bleak horizons, and I found it. Praise the Lord for His deep, deep love for us.

14. posted on Nov 05, 2008 at 1:34 PM  |  reply

Annie, I found your blog through my daughters blog (Bethanne) I love that song and just reading it again, reminded me of just what sacrifice Jesus made and how underserving I am to received His forgivness. Thanks for the reminder.

15. posted on Nov 05, 2008 at 3:43 PM  |  reply

Annie,

I stinkin’ for real really love your blog. You bless me so much with your words and honesty and humor.

16. posted on Nov 05, 2008 at 3:47 PM  |  reply

What song is that ? I’m not sure I’ve heard it before …

But, I love what you wrote about. Funny how something as simple as a song can change our perspective. I guess that’s why it’s so important to stop and be quiet … so we can LISTEN !

Thanks for sharing ! I love your blog ! Have I mentioned that already ?!

17. posted on Nov 05, 2008 at 5:08 PM  |  reply

I love the last line….this is the kind of lunch date I have been waiting for….amazing. I am encouraged by your time with the Lord.
    Bless you, Annie! Your honesty is amazing!

18. posted on Nov 05, 2008 at 6:54 PM  |  reply

Great song! And great post, too. It’s sweet to think of how God makes our dreams come true even under our own noses.

19. Danielle
    posted on Nov 05, 2008 at 8:26 PM  |  reply

mmmm….that’s good stuff! I love that he sought you out, and met you right where you were! He’s good for that everyday! Love you!

20. Cabana Maam
    posted on Nov 05, 2008 at 9:10 PM  |  reply

b.e.a.u.t.i.f.u.l.

21. posted on Nov 06, 2008 at 12:52 AM  |  reply

One of my favorite songs of declaration…

So glad you had a Frothy-Monkey-Abstract-Art-Yummy-Sandwich-Incredible-God kind of lunch!

If you don’t mind me being nosy…could you email me and tell me what kind of full-time writer you are? My dream…..

22. posted on Nov 06, 2008 at 2:39 PM  |  reply

I realize I am a day late on this, but we played that song in chapel today and its incredible! Good word annie.

23. posted on Nov 18, 2008 at 9:50 AM  |  reply

Great post. What an amazing Savior we serve. The cross has been huge on my mind recently — as it should be. God is so good.

Great website. I stumbled on it from Ragamuffin Soul’s.

24. posted on Nov 18, 2008 at 7:59 PM  |  reply

What a wonderful lunch date! Our God is so Amazing…thank you!