I took clumsy to a whole new level.

on November 6, 2008 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 28 comments by

You thought I was clumsy before? I mean wow. Let me recap my Wednesday for you. Not because I’m completely self-absorbed, but because I am in so much pain that I can not think of anything except myself.

Wait…. aren’t those…. uh…. nevermind.

So yesterday I’m packing to head to Kentucky, because I had a fun-filled 48 hours planned up north with Marie and friends.  I load my arms up with things like bags, towels, pillows, these kind of sundry items. And I walk out my door. Like I do, oh I don’t know, five to six times a day.

And as I go down the steps, my left foot steps to the ground and ye old ankle rolls. I fall to the ground and litter my yard with road trip supplies. And as I’m falling, I think, “what’s the popping and ripping sound?” and the next thought was, well, some things I don’t say on the blog.

Because even God-fearin’ women don’t always handle pain appropriately.

Luckily (or unfortunately), the gas company guy saw the whole thing.  He walks over and says, “Ma’am, are you alright?”  I sit there, stunned.  He asks, “Can I call your family?”

To which I reply, in the highest pitch sob I have ever released from my mouth, “I DON’T HAVE ANY FAMILY I DON’T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!”

[Because maybe you are new around here, so hi.  My name is Annie.  I just moved to Nashville and I have no family here nor do I even know where an ER is. And it is nice to meet you.]

So in the shock of it all, I hobble around to gather all my things, thank the man for his kindness, and then head inside.  [Trust me, I know what you are thinking- I wish I would have videoed the whole thing too.]  I quasi-panic when I look and see this (taken with my cell phone) –

So then I realize a trip to the doctor may really be in order.  Luckily, my friend Hollie had the day off from work, so I call her and she pulls a citizen-ambulance moment and rushes me to the hospital.

Many tears, apologies to the doctor for being a wimp, and xrays later- it’s not broken. Just a “severe sprain”.

Which to any of you who have had a sprain before, and I have been unsympathetic because I thought sprains weren’t that bad, my sincerest apologies.  I’m paying for it.  In a serious way.

I’m headed to the Vanderbilt sports medicine doctor (thanks for the hookup, Robyn!) on Friday morning at 7:30am.  Cause nothing says HAPPY FRIDAY like the combo of early morning and crutches.

Not to mention that now I have to miss the opening of the first Trader Joe’s in Nashville and really, some tragedies are too deep to discuss.

So, as of right now, it look-a-like-a this-

Or more accurately, like-a this-

Sexy.  I know.

1. posted on Nov 06, 2008 at 9:06 AM  |  reply

Oh, Annie, I’m sorry. I’m glad it isn’t broken, because that would most likely mean surgery. But I’ve heard that bad sprains are more painful than breaks, and can actually take longer to heal. 🙁 Be a good patient and stay off your feet!!

2. Bethanne
    posted on Nov 06, 2008 at 9:08 AM  |  reply

If I were there, I would sooooo come over and help take care of you, girl!!! Time to call your mama and have her make the trek to Music City!!!

Look at it this way, you can really catch up on blog reading, computer work, TV, etc……how about catch up on sleep????? ..ummm, okay, I’m not helping……I will just pray it gets better and SOON!!!

3. kelli
    posted on Nov 06, 2008 at 9:09 AM  |  reply

RICE! rest-ice-compression-elevation! that will help with the swelling!

4. posted on Nov 06, 2008 at 9:25 AM  |  reply

🙁 I’m almost feelin’ your pain…POOR YOU!

It’s your left foot, though, right? Then, at least when you’re feeling better you can drive…RIGHT? Hard to see the bright side when it hurts to much to open your eyes.

I so would be bringing you dinner if I was closer; afraid it’d get cold w/the 2-hour drive :/.

{{hugs…gently}}

5. Deb Simon
    posted on Nov 06, 2008 at 9:32 AM  |  reply

ouchy-mamma! I am so sad to see that you got hurt…and I’m guessin’ Kentucky trip is out…watch out they just may show up at your door! As if you needed more to blog about…there must be a great book waiting for you to read this weekend! hugs, Debs 🙂

6. Southern Gal
    posted on Nov 06, 2008 at 10:07 AM  |  reply

Praying it’s better soon…you’re better soon.

Renee

7. posted on Nov 06, 2008 at 10:17 AM  |  reply

I’m mad. Asbury missed you.

8. posted on Nov 06, 2008 at 10:28 AM  |  reply

Nice shades of purple there. Sorry you missed the trip to Wilmore. The Wilmorons will just have to wait. Enjoy the meds.

9. posted on Nov 06, 2008 at 10:45 AM  |  reply

Ouch! I am sooo sorry. I can empathize as a fellow clumsy gal!

Get well soon, and don’t forget the ice (and Ibuprofen)!

10. posted on Nov 06, 2008 at 10:52 AM  |  reply

So sorry, Annie! My daughter just recovered from her fractured ankle, so I feel your pain. Sort-of.

Your boot looks just like hers did. Just FYI, baking soda does help take out the stench after you’ve worn it for a while. =)

11. posted on Nov 06, 2008 at 10:56 AM  |  reply

Oh Annie – that looks so painful! I’m so sorry about your foot and your missed trip.

In case you want to put a spiritual spin on this “turn” of events: When something horrible like that happens to me, I like to think that the LORD is protecting me from something even more horrible and making more space in my life for Him.

I love you – Debs in the desert.

12. posted on Nov 06, 2008 at 10:59 AM  |  reply

Okay, this JUST happened to me a couple weeks ago, and it’s NO FUN!!! I hope it gets better soon.

13. posted on Nov 06, 2008 at 11:37 AM  |  reply

DANG IT! Those truly do hurt just as it was broken….I’m so sorry!

And did you think, Dang it – those gas guys watched me fall? That’s the worst 🙂

14. posted on Nov 06, 2008 at 12:13 PM  |  reply

yeah, sprains are worse than breaks as far as pain goes…sry to hear about yer owie!! **kisses it to make it better** take it easy, it’ll heal faster!! gentle hugs and lots of prayers…

15. posted on Nov 06, 2008 at 12:33 PM  |  reply

Glad you put the brace on… you were showing a little to much skin in the other pics….

Praying for you.

16. Danielle
    posted on Nov 06, 2008 at 1:51 PM  |  reply

Oh Forss, I can always send John to be your personal EMT? Give me a call, he can be there in a few short hours! OHHH, love you!

17. posted on Nov 06, 2008 at 2:07 PM  |  reply

Annie, Hey girl. You don’t know me but I stalk your blog. =) I’m so sorry about your ankle and am praying for a fast recovery. What went through my mind initially as I read about your unfortunate incident is what my grandma (yes, my grandma) always said…”never leave the house without shaved legs”. See, it’s a good thing you followed my grandmama’s advice. Cuz you never know when you’re going to fall and need a handsome gas guy or ER doctor to rub your ankle. I’m just sayin.

Feel better soon. Two words…muscle relaxers.

I love reading your blog and look forward to more! Praying for you.

Melissa

18. Jen
    posted on Nov 06, 2008 at 2:47 PM  |  reply

Ouch! So sorry. Feel better soon! Girl, that deserves a piece of cheesecake or something!

19. posted on Nov 06, 2008 at 3:41 PM  |  reply

Oh you poor thing !! I’ve done sprained ankles too … not fun !! Hope it heals quickly !!

20. posted on Nov 06, 2008 at 4:23 PM  |  reply

You poor, poor child. If I lived in Nashville I would really mean to bring your a Pitcher O’ Soup. Really.

So pitiful. But dang, that brace thing is HOT!

21. posted on Nov 06, 2008 at 4:27 PM  |  reply

Bless your heart.

Although is it wrong to wish I could have heard your exchange with the gas company guy?

22. posted on Nov 06, 2008 at 4:41 PM  |  reply

d’ya have to sleep in your boot too?

23. Laura
    posted on Nov 06, 2008 at 5:13 PM  |  reply

baahahahahaha! i’m totally just kidding. sort of. but really i know that hurt. and i suggest you come to the sports medicine doctor of Laura. Really. i love you and i hope you feel better!

24. posted on Nov 06, 2008 at 7:22 PM  |  reply

Ouch!
    No, OW!
    [Hmm … still not enough.]
    OMG … that hurts like the dickens?

(As if we truly have ever experienced the agony of the dickens.)

25. posted on Nov 06, 2008 at 9:52 PM  |  reply

Hey, the boot’s not that bad. Star Wars is in right now, if you’re an 8 year old boy, so you’re ultra cool in that age group.
    You’re welcome for reminding you of that.

26. posted on Nov 06, 2008 at 11:08 PM  |  reply

Hi! I thought now would be as good a time as ever to come out of lurking! So sorry about your ankle! It looks very painful and i hope it heals quickly! 🙂 I also wanted to let you know that i work at Trader Joe’s…the one opening tomorrow? Yep, i work there! And if you ever see me there, i can prob get you something free…they want us to do stuff like that to ensure that the customer has an awesome experience while shopping…so hey, i’ll give out free stuff! And i’m new to Nashvegas, AND have no family here, so i know what it’s like! Anyways, that’s all, feel better asap!! 🙂

27. posted on Nov 07, 2008 at 5:53 PM  |  reply

Oh my! I’m so sorry! Sounds painful…especially the missing the opening of Trader Joe’s. 🙂 I just moved to Kansas City and am wishing they had one here so badly…

28. Ali
    posted on Nov 19, 2008 at 12:19 PM  |  reply

Cankles of the world unite! I am suffering a similar situation although my bad fall resulted in two breaks and a torn ligament. One surgery and a LOT of hardware later, I’m hobblin’ back to life. I’m actually in therapy twice a week, but the doc said that I’d be jogging again in a month or two. Thank goodness because my booty ain’t getting any smaller sitting here on this couch!