What the Cankle has to say.

on November 10, 2008 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 12 comments by

It was a fun weekend- full of out of town friends and Mexican food and crutches and hobbling. [Is “hobbling” a word?  As in, “to hobble”?  I think so, but not certain.  If it is, consider me wise.  If it isn’t, consider me witty.]

I have never had an injury like this- that really retards the rest of my life.  And I don’t use that word disrespectfully, I use it genuinely.  Having a bum leg really hinders pretty much all things attempted.

Sunday morning at church, Randy spoke on suffering.  And what it looks like and how to respond.  He actually gave the example of someone slamming their finger in a car door and THE DOOR LOCKING.  [I’m sorry, but I think I just heard a rousing round of dry heaving.  And one was mine.]  In that moment, I was grateful for this swelled up cankle.  Cause it could be a lot worse.

One thing that people keep asking me is, “What do you think God is trying to teach you in this?”

And I don’t know if I know that answer- maybe that being the tight-rope walker in the circus really isn’t my calling?  [blast.] Maybe I was supposed to be “there” and not “there”, a hundred times over?  Maybe I needed to face some new truths about my life and how I’m loved here?  Maybe I just needed to slow down.

That’s kind of a theme in my life.  SLOW DOWN.  DRAW BOUNDARIES.  DON’T FILL UP YOUR LIFE. Cause I tend to believe that if I’m awake, I should be doing or going.  Rarely is resting an option.  [But in my defense, I just love being with people- so I figure if someone is available to hang out, let’s hang out. But enough with the excuses.]

And yesterday morning, Randy said that in the midst of our suffering, we need to be willing to listen.  Hurt people always want to talk-to have attention drawn to them. [I have no idea what he meant by that. Ahem.] But the real goal is to be a listener. Because God is speaking in your suffering.

So I’m choosing to listen. The Cankle is supposed to tell me something. Though this is by no means a serious suffering, comparatively, it’s still a good time to practice hearing God.

And who better to tell me what God is trying to say in this than God Himself.

Romans 5: 3-5

“…We also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us”

Photo update [mainly for Mama, but the rest of you can look too]:

1. posted on Nov 10, 2008 at 8:51 AM  |  reply

Thank you…my heart is pretty “canklish” at the moment…I needed to hear that. You can see what I mean on my blog if you want to…

2. Southern Gal
    posted on Nov 10, 2008 at 9:34 AM  |  reply

Came here an hour or so ago to check on you. Even though I’m subscribed, I thought maybe I had missed an update. Glad to hear you’re up and hobblin’ about. (It’s a word, even with my southern renderin’.)

Whatever it is you’re supposed to learn from this, I’m sure you’ll get it. Teachable spirit is the vibe I’m getting.

Renee

3. posted on Nov 10, 2008 at 11:29 AM  |  reply

WOW – what a great message….especially from a cankle…God can truly speak through EVERYTHING!

4. posted on Nov 10, 2008 at 11:46 AM  |  reply

hop + wobble = hobble

If shakespeare could make up words, why can’t the great Annie!?!

just caught up on the last week of your blog. reading backwards. 🙂
    poor cankle.

5. posted on Nov 10, 2008 at 12:28 PM  |  reply

I recognize that bruising pattern. Been there!

Godspeed with the healing.

6. posted on Nov 10, 2008 at 12:52 PM  |  reply

totally had my ankle look just like that – the result of my co-ed intramural soccer game at uga — a large guy rammed into my leg and landed on top of me . . . awkward AND painful!

7. Barb-a-licious
    posted on Nov 10, 2008 at 2:36 PM  |  reply

Oh Anya- the picture makes me sad!! I’m glad you had a good weekend though and just love hearing the good preaching that you receive. God is good.

8. posted on Nov 10, 2008 at 6:49 PM  |  reply

out of the mouths of cankles…*sigh* . wow annie, you did a good job of messing your ankle up!! hope it doesn’t hurt as much as it looks like it does!! hugs and extra prayers…

9. posted on Nov 10, 2008 at 7:20 PM  |  reply

Annie – I’m glad to hear your wittiness (is that a word?) is back in full swing. I like it when you make up words. Don’t despair honey – in a few more days that puppy will turn a lovely shade of yellow and green. And then it will start to get better – much better. In the mean time I can’t think of a better way to pass the time than listening to the love of your life. And don’t forget the toe writing exercise.

10. posted on Nov 10, 2008 at 9:22 PM  |  reply

I didn’t even know cankles HAD opinions, but my cankle told me to slow down too.

So it must be some sort of cankle conspiracy. And I need to warn you: when I didn’t listen to MY cankle, it put out a hit on me with my lower back. One herniated disk later, I finally slowed down.

It’s hard to find out that you’re not invincible. But God definitely can use it.

Hope you keep healing quickly!

11. posted on Nov 11, 2008 at 12:05 PM  |  reply

Thanks for the reminder Annie, or should I say Annie’s cankle. You are both speaking to my heart.

Fast healing and good lessons.

Kelly

12. posted on Nov 11, 2008 at 2:14 PM  |  reply

Agreed about the “if awake must be doing something philosophy.” Last year, it snowed here in upstate SC (which is a rare and joy-causing event for us South Carolinians). Everything shuts down (for anything more than 1/2 in of ice…), and I thought to myself, “Does rest come any more forcedly than this?” (not sure if forcedly is any more of a word that hobbling).