10 years ago.

on November 28, 2008 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 10 comments by

I was 18.  I had come home for my first holiday from the University of Georgia and honestly, was itching to get back to Athens.  You remember that feeling?  Like home is cool and all, but life is continuing without you somewhere else. I think all college kids feel that way.

I remember the only pressing social event was wanting to see my high school friends.  My church friends were a given on Sunday, my family was in the house.  But the people I graduated with were the ones I had to carve out time for.

And ten years later, its that same crowd that gets my Friday night.  All 30 of them.  Oh private school, you are so tiny.

Yep, my 10 Year Reunion is tonight.  I know its weird to have it this close to a holiday [trust me, one of the classmates sent me a strongly-worded email expressing the same feeling], but almost half of our class lives out of town and their parents are still here, so it made sense.  And about 20 out of the 30 are coming.

And by the way, the event planner? She lives in Nashville so she picked a date that would kill two Marietta birds with one stone (Thanksgiving and reunion).  Sue me her.

I would post pictures from my senior year, maybe do some sort of photoshop magic to put Annie 1998 by Annie 2008, but sadly, you wouldn’t know the difference.  Seriously, we were watching Christmas 1997 on video yesterday, and my own Mother said, “Weird. You look exactly the same.”

Yeah, I know.  Same haircut [but a variety of colors throughout the years], same frog eyes, same pant size, probably honestly some of the same pants.

Cause I’m nothing if not trendy thrifty.

I’m excited about tonight.  Cause while the outside may look exactly the same, the inside is drastically different. Though I’ve been a Christian since I was five, these last ten years have been different. My walk with God has become my own. And it has completely changed me.

My face may say 18, but my heart knows 28. I have seen my fair share of challenges and heartache, but I’ve also seen MORE than my fair share of blessing. The biggest difference, I think, is that my confidence level, once hovering at an abysmal 2 is honestly around an 8 now.  And that has NOT.ONE.THING. to do with me or what I look like [same, remember?], but EVERY.THING. to do with what God has painstakingly done in me the last 10 years (especially thanks to my time at the Wesley Foundation at UGA).  Don’t hear me saying that it’s always easy, that lies don’t creep in or, let’s be honest, MARCH in and live for a while.  But where 1998 saw more defeats than victories in my mind, 2008 has about 1/3 of the battles and rare defeats.

Lamentations 3:22

“Because of the Lord’s GREAT LOVE we are not consumed; for His compassions never fail.”

I’m not nervous about tonight because what these old friends think about me does not change one bit of who I am.  I’m glad to see them, but they don’t decide my worth. I will eat dinner with them tonight, then leave and drive over to a party where tons of my lifelong friends will be.

And at both places, I’ll be proud to be Annie.

So tonight, I don’t celebrate how far I’ve come since the last time I saw these friends.  I celebrate the One who has been with me all along.  The One who will continue to walk with me tomorrow and the next day and the next day and….

1. April Carter
    posted on Nov 28, 2008 at 12:07 PM  |  reply

HOW FUN!! I love your perspective on the night, because it’s so true! Can’t wait to hear all about it!!

2. posted on Nov 28, 2008 at 3:37 PM  |  reply

once again, an awesome post. I look DRASTICALLY different than I did when I was 18!! Ah yes, mariage and kids will do that to a person. I just celebrated my 15th wedding anniversary and I have two children. NO.I’M.NOT.MAKING.EXCUSES. Well, ok, I am a little, but you’ll have that!! 😉 anyway, have fun tonight!! Here’s to just bein’ who you are!! and being content with it!!! as you should be, you are one awesome lady!!! **raises her glass to you** take care, hugs and prayers…

3. EmilyV
    posted on Nov 28, 2008 at 4:35 PM  |  reply

I don’t think I look that much different, but you can decide for yourself tonight. See you in a bit.

4. posted on Nov 28, 2008 at 5:06 PM  |  reply

I love who you bees. See you for the after party.

5. posted on Nov 28, 2008 at 8:41 PM  |  reply

you must post photos. can’t wait to hear about the evening….

6. posted on Nov 28, 2008 at 10:46 PM  |  reply

Unfortunately, my 10-year reunion was canceled due to hurricane. It was never rescheduled, and I missed out on this rite of passage into the next stage of my life.

Oh well, 10 more years of putting off the real world!

7. Bethanne
    posted on Nov 28, 2008 at 11:01 PM  |  reply

Ummmm, great post……there will be pix, right?

8. Face
    posted on Nov 28, 2008 at 11:08 PM  |  reply

I think that was one of your best posts. PTL.

9. posted on Nov 30, 2008 at 9:57 PM  |  reply

What I wouldn’t give to be the same pants size as I was when I was 18.

10. posted on Dec 05, 2008 at 11:03 PM  |  reply

You know what, I have said many times that, in my mind, I am 28. I think 28 is about the perfect age. Still very young but finally old enough to feel like a grownup. It was a good year for me – in most of the ways that you mentioned. So at 28, mentally, I stay.

Congrats on being at the best age.

And you know what’s even better? As wonderful as 28 was, it’s been all uphill from there.

xo