I’m eating the broken pieces right now.

on December 16, 2008 in Mocha Club, That's delish. with 15 comments by

pretzels1

Mmmm…… chocolate covered pretzels.  And oh so fancy looking.  [The bizarro tint to this photo is because I took the picture while they were in the fridge.  Why I didn’t just take them out for a moment is a question for the ages.]

This is my favorite Christmas treat to make. Well, that being said, I also really like the white chocolate with pieces of peppermint in it.  Really, you can combine anything with “white chocolate” and you will have my undivided attention.

I literally had to make 150 of these for Saturday, but 3 of them broke.  So I arrived at the party with only 147.  I was allowed in anyways.  Full of grace, that’s what these Nashville people are.

Seriously all you need for this recipe is three things.  Pretzels. White chocolate bark. Milk chocolate bark.  [Ok, and here is the thing.  Make this recipe your own.  Use peppermint extract, or pieces of peppermint, or sprinkles or smaller pretzels.  Whatever you want.  Here are some other options.]

I used one bag of pretzels, 1 full box of white chocolate, and only half a box of milk chocolate.pretzels2

And seriously.  This is so easy.  Just melt the white chocolate in the microwave.  I use one of those big honkin’ glass measuring thingys. [Now I’m getting all technical in my terminology. Sorry.] Once the white chocolate is melted, just dip the pretzels in it and lay them on a wire cooling rack.  If you are putting piece of peppermint on them, you’ll want to do that before the chocolate completely cools.

pretzels3

pretzels4

To speed up the process, you can set them in the fridge to harden.  But I will warn you, that is when I lost the 3 pretzels.  Trying to bust them off the cooling rack after setting in the fridge was a challenge to be sure.

But once the chocolate has hardened, lay them on wax paper.  Then melt the milk chocolate.  Using a fork, dip it in the milk chocolate and start slinging it over the pretzels.  Very messy, which I tend to think is quite a joy.

pretzels5

[Please notice.  Broken pretzels in top left corner. DOH. And chocolate slung all over the place, including onto the knife block. DOH.]

Place these in the fridge to get all cool and tough [like me] and then they are ready to serve.  I have NO IDEA why I didn’t take a picture of the full tray of 147 pretzels because it was a MOUND O CHOCOLATE, I tell ya.  But I did snap a shot of Betsy enjoying said pretzels at the party.betsy

Oh she is a happy party goer now, folks.  Yum.

mochatshirt1

And I also promised yesterday that I would tell you my favorite gift to give this year.  And that is THIS SHIRT.  For realz.  In fact, I placed my rather large order just yesterday.

Because not only do you give your friend/family/coworker/adopted inmate a new cool shirt, but you also get to pick which project the money supports.  And included with the shirt is a little card explaining the project.  Yeah, it is WAY awesome.

Now, if someone would just dip that tshirt in white chocolate, I could die in peace. Probably choking on a sleeve or something.

1. posted on Dec 16, 2008 at 10:10 AM  |  reply

Yeah, I think I would have had to break a few more just for good measure…and good eats!

2. posted on Dec 16, 2008 at 11:12 AM  |  reply

I’ve gotta try it…

3. posted on Dec 16, 2008 at 12:28 PM  |  reply

And I thought I was the only one who made a baking mess yesterday…(I made Buckeyes, and picture a peanut butter/butter/powdered sugar mixture being flung onto the wall and the stove). Those pretzels look delicious!

4. posted on Dec 16, 2008 at 12:45 PM  |  reply

I’m afraid to make chocolate-covered pretzels. The last time I tried I got the wrong kind of chocolate, or something, and it only melt part-way and then seize up into a giant ball of…something.
    But they’re one of my favorite things ever, so I’ll give it another try one of these days.

Oh, and hey! I have a blog now! Hopefully you’ll stop by and read even though I talk about the Gators. 🙂

5. posted on Dec 16, 2008 at 12:46 PM  |  reply

Apparently I don’t know how to use the past tense. Ignore that.

6. Jennifer
    posted on Dec 16, 2008 at 1:15 PM  |  reply

Okay Annie, this was shared with me for pretzels too…hope you love it. Before the white chocolate step…melt a bag of carmels (as directed on the bag for making carmel apples.) Dip the pretzels in carmel, let it set, dip it in the chocoalte and let that set. They are SO GOOD..I love them cold although they are a little chewy. This is good to do with pretzel rods too. Happy! HAppy!

7. posted on Dec 16, 2008 at 1:50 PM  |  reply

Oh Jennifer. You had me at “carmels”.

8. posted on Dec 16, 2008 at 3:45 PM  |  reply

lol and YUM! **sneaks a pretzel while noone is looking**

9. posted on Dec 17, 2008 at 1:11 AM  |  reply

You are so bringing some a them to the OC.

10. Southern Gal
    posted on Dec 17, 2008 at 10:23 AM  |  reply

I made these this year with the big pretzel sticks. I actually cut the sticks in half. Some are dipped in white chocolate and drizzled with dark chocolate, but most are dark chocolate with sprinkles and such. My son just had one for a snack. Then he looked at me and asked if I had any plain ones left. Humpf.

11. posted on Dec 17, 2008 at 11:43 PM  |  reply

That juxtaposition of sweet and salty. Gets me every time.

12. Julianne
    posted on Dec 18, 2008 at 8:12 AM  |  reply

those look so good!!

13. posted on Dec 18, 2008 at 3:06 PM  |  reply

I ADORE chocolate-covered pretzels, and now you’ve got me wanting to make them. Yum.

14. posted on Dec 20, 2008 at 7:08 PM  |  reply

we’re about to attempt to make these–after a trip to walmart at 1130 last night! 🙂 how far in advance do you think you can make these things? meaning i have time to make them now—but want them for christmas day and not sure if i’ll have time the closer we get to christmas day! 🙂

15. posted on Dec 21, 2008 at 12:55 AM  |  reply

K, so I’m back to re-read your directions after bookmarking this page when I saw it and buying the ingredients. 🙂