Speak.

on January 8, 2009 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 13 comments by

When I used to teach school, I made kids write the truth as their punishment often.  For example, when I busted Meg for lying, I had her write-

“I am an honest person and I will act like it.”

TWO HUNDRED TIMES.  Tough, I know.  But I promise, it only took her one day to get it done.  It goes faster when you write “I I I I I I” all the way down the page and then “am am am am am am”, etc.  The little jokers figure THAT out pretty early on in the punishment process.

None the less, I always made the kids do things like that because I believe in the power of life-giving words.

I believe that if you tell someone enough that they are honest, they will start acting like it.  I believe that if you speak into someone’s worth enough, they start to feel worthy.  I believe that if you see a trait in someone and call attention to it, it grows like a weed.  A beautiful weed with a flower on top.

Unfortunately, I also believe that if you say someone is weak over and over, they start to lose strength.  If you call someone ugly enough times, they quit looking in a mirror.  And if you find a weakness and poke at it, it becomes irritated and red and puffy and is now on display for all to see.  And it hurts.

I talk a lot.  I share my feelings pretty openly and sometimes am borderline “too much”. 🙂  It’s okay.  I’ve grown up with me, I know.  But it’s kinda one of my passions- I don’t want anyone around me questioning my heart for them or not hearing truth in love from me.  I think if I was to take the 5 Love Languages test, words of affirmation would EASILY be numero uno.

[I want to make a “physical touch” joke here, but I think it would kill the serious vibe.  You might lose your focus.  But… it would have been a doozie.  And you would have laughed.]

So saying words of affirmation to people comes natural to me.  [And sometimes it may make other people feel weird, I don’t know.]  It doesn’t have to be your primary love language.  I have friends that love me well and don’t say it every day.  And that is fine.  But no matter your natural inclination, I think we are all called, in moments, to be the one who says, “Yes that IS who you are” and “You are SO much better than that” and “You are loved” or “because the Bible says you are worthy, YOU ARE WORTHY.”

I’ve been on the giving and receiving end this week.  Words like these spoken to me, “that is NOT true about you, HERE is the truth….” radiated deep into my soul and placed salve over a seriously exposed heart wound.  And I was reminded again to take EVERY chance I get to speak life and speak truth. To take God’s words and put them in the ears of someone else. Deposit good words into the heart accounts of those I love.

We live in a society permeated with lies and liars.  Those of us willing to speak love need to stand on the mountain tops and use a megaphone. Or sit across a table and speak truth until it is almost uncomfortable.  Or send an email or make a phone call.

You are God’s mouthpiece to the people around you.

Say something.

1. Cousin Katie
    posted on Jan 08, 2009 at 9:50 AM  |  reply

Nicely written. I agree ten times.

2. posted on Jan 08, 2009 at 9:58 AM  |  reply

This is so true! Thanks for giving me something to munch on on a dreary Thursday. You are such an excellent writer!!

3. posted on Jan 08, 2009 at 10:19 AM  |  reply

AMEN! love this post too. i think i may be hooked on annie!

i love that you had the children right the truth about who they are.
    i have learned the hard way in my life how to “break agreements” replace all those lies i believe with truth, it is a never ending battle. ahhh, but i have comeinto such FREEDOM.

i try to give my own children these tools. give them a head start, cause satan is a liar, he will always be up to his dirty tricks.

now, i gotta go find some lined paper and pencils, and get them writing…TRUTH 🙂

4. DebS
    posted on Jan 08, 2009 at 11:09 AM  |  reply

Wow, Annie, lovin it..and you too! This is so me too! And faith comes in when you do not see the fruit of your words…but knowing that the seeds have been planted, God will send someone else to water, and HE will see to the increase in HIS perfect timing and purposes! Hugs from the south of ya!

5. Adria
    posted on Jan 08, 2009 at 11:25 AM  |  reply

This is beautiful, Annie.

6. posted on Jan 08, 2009 at 11:32 AM  |  reply

truer words were never “spoken” i couldn’t have “said” it better myself!! you are truly a gift from God to me!! i really believe that! i needed what you wrote today! i don’t think this was your point, but i do think it’s very important to point out and dwell on and love on the positives of everyone and everything, rather than the negatives. that’s prolly whats wrong with the world today, not enough of us “lovers” out there. with that said….you are a terrific writer and i KNOW you can write those last 10,000 words!! i am praying that God will put a hedge about you and protect from any and all influence (good or bad) that will deter you from getting your work done!! go to it missy!!!! have a wonderful day, love ya!!

7. posted on Jan 08, 2009 at 12:47 PM  |  reply

Annie, you speak to my heart. I couldn’t agree with you more. I have two step-daughters that are raised in a home where lying gives you attention. On the weekends we have them, we have a routine we have to break.

My husband and I believe in the power of positive speech rather than the “don’ts” or “shouldn’ts” that a parent can get into.

It’s not easy nor fast, but we’re making progess. So much so that they correct themselves before they finish the sentence.

It’s amazing what positive talk can lead to and in MUCH less time than you think. We had our middle daughter accept Christ before Christmas because of God speaking through us.

Keep speaking truth Annie. My heart yearns for it.

Love and prayer,
    Kelly

8. posted on Jan 08, 2009 at 1:39 PM  |  reply

Thank you for sharing. This is great insight.

9. Cabana Maam
    posted on Jan 08, 2009 at 2:49 PM  |  reply

Wow. You have no idea how much I needed to hear this. Thanks.

10. posted on Jan 08, 2009 at 5:50 PM  |  reply

I believe heavily in speaking the truth into people! And I’ve seen it work, too. I couldn’t agree more.

11. posted on Jan 08, 2009 at 7:10 PM  |  reply

When I said, “You will never have a cat,” did you know what I was saying? Because I like to use just a few words to say as much as possible.

12. hollie
    posted on Jan 09, 2009 at 7:06 PM  |  reply

annie, you are beautiful, smart, funny, fun, insightful, gifted, loyal, trusting, tenderhearted, a vessel used by the Lord to touch MANY lives and my life is blessed by your friendship and love. i love you.

13. posted on Jan 12, 2009 at 7:00 PM  |  reply

Thanks for this. I needed it.

Hope you’re having a great week!