This is how you finish a book.

on January 27, 2009 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 13 comments by

So you may remember I was attempting to write 30,000 words in 30 days.

And you may recall that about a week ago I was struggling with Chapter 7.

After a long week of staring at the computer screen, and a great weekend in Waco, I came back and settled down at Frothy Monkey yesterday, ready to turn out those last few pages.

And they didn’t come.  For two hours, I sat.  Frustrated, head in hands, I seriously did not know what to do.  Until a friend walked up and, in our conversation, he gave me some great insight and a really wise plan of attack.

ASK OTHER PEOPLE HOW TO FINISH THE BOOK.

He’s a genuis.  I’m an idiot.

So I sent an email to a bunch of wise folks in my life and then headed to hang with some married couple friends.  Sitting on the couch, we talked out the problem I was facing.  For hours.

I left, headed to Portland Brew (because Frothy closes early), checked my email and started to write.

At 7:32pm, I finished the book.

Or I guess I should say “We finished the book”.

Because without the dude at Frothy, my friends and their couch, and the emails, it would not be done.

I don’t really know how to pay each of them back, exactly.  But I will figure it out.  Cause that’s how I roll, y’all.

I’m short on time, but I just wanted you to know what God did yesterday- through people that I love and who are loving me enough to push me across the finish line.

What next with ye old finished book?  It gets mailed to an agent in California and we all pray like crazy that some publishing house picks it up, publishes it, and you actually get to read the 50,000 words “we” have written.

Now that the book is done, I can return to being the blogista you have come to know and love. Instead of this crazy girl that only posts once every five days.  [Yikes.  That makes the blog-lover in me throw up a little bit.]  But I really am going to try to get back on the bloggy train.  Oh, and I’m also moving to a new house this weekend, so a video tour is surely in your near future. And maybe some video of watching my friends Jason and Skip move all my junk.  That could be funny.

Off to a celebratory lunch with Betsy and Annie Parsons.  Yay!

More blogging to come later today… I promise.

1. Amy Carpenter
    posted on Jan 27, 2009 at 1:43 PM  |  reply

annie-
    that is so awesome! i am so proud of you and i know that the Lord is too. I got chills reading this post because I know how important writing is to you and that the Lord has blessed you mightily with such talent to do what you love. I am praying for your favor with agents, publishing, etc…..did i mention that I cannot wait to read it?! cuz i can’t. i better be getting a signed copy, that’s all i gotta say. i love you and again, i am so estatic/super-proud of you!

2. posted on Jan 27, 2009 at 1:54 PM  |  reply

congrats-a-million!!!! Can’t wait to see where this awesome accomplishment takes you 🙂 glad your back!

3. Bethanne
    posted on Jan 27, 2009 at 2:22 PM  |  reply

I am so impressed!! What an accomplishment. I have to ask how you started writing and how you got a book deal and an agent….that is way too cool…..maybe I missed the post where you told the answers to my question,,,,if so just refer me back to previous posts.
    Anyway, I am so happy for you. I hope it is a best seller!

4. posted on Jan 27, 2009 at 2:26 PM  |  reply

No book deal yet. Just a finished manuscript!

5. posted on Jan 27, 2009 at 2:39 PM  |  reply

You’re amazing. I’m so proud of you, and thrilled for you.

Plus, we just had a great lunch. And did you know that every time you drop me off at work after lunch, you say, “I enjoyed it”? You do.

6. posted on Jan 27, 2009 at 5:32 PM  |  reply

I can’t wait to read it. I’m so excited! I’m coming to Nashville soon, get ready.

7. posted on Jan 27, 2009 at 6:12 PM  |  reply

I’m so proud of you!

And based on how this book got finished, I think your next book should be about how God shows His faithfulness to us through His people. Just sayin’.

8. posted on Jan 27, 2009 at 6:21 PM  |  reply

Good luck with the book! I am sure it’s wonderful!

9. posted on Jan 27, 2009 at 11:19 PM  |  reply

so
    proud
    of
    you.

10. Cabana Maam
    posted on Jan 28, 2009 at 7:18 AM  |  reply

Congratulations!! Praying that all the details fall quickly into place. It’s so clear you were called to this! Thanks for sharing your journey with us. 🙂

11. posted on Jan 28, 2009 at 8:50 AM  |  reply

I’m so proud of you!

Hey, I’ve dubbed you FABULOUS (which I have no doubt you’ve been dubbed before)….check out my most recent post.

Congratulations on the Book!

12. Deb Simon
    posted on Jan 28, 2009 at 10:48 AM  |  reply

Congrats Annie, I am sure this is the first of many! What do authors do after they are done, go to Hawaii for a couple weeks or something!!!

13. posted on Jan 28, 2009 at 1:29 PM  |  reply

What’s funny about this story (and so many of my own) is the ridiculous lengths God has to go through to get us into a position where we can hear the wisdom that will set us free.

So glad he’s patient!