It’s the little things, people.

on February 12, 2009 in Nash-livin' with 43 comments by

In January of 2007 I saw a beautiful shower curtain and shower curtain hooks at Target. I remember clearly that they were on the end of the aisle, deeply on sale. I’m talking a red sticker with another red sticker on top. If I remember correctly [and let’s be honest, when it comes to sales, I do remember correctly] the curtain costs $5 and the hooks cost $4. I know. That’s beauticulous.

bathroom_curtain_11

bathroom_curtain_21

How cute is that? I didn’t have a bathroom that needed a new curtain. But I loved it, and for that price? Why not. So I bought it and stored it away. [Some might call that “hording”. I disagree.]

I didn’t pray about the purchase. I didn’t ask God if it would ever be useful. I just liked it.

Then I move to Nashville in August, then I move to this new home on February 1. And I get my own bathroom that has, literally, the ugliest tile in the world.

bathroom_tile

Pink and gray? Are you for real? Who picks that? Colorblind Charlie, apparently.

But then I remember, in the recesses of my mind, that cute shower curtain I bought two years ago. Would it match? I kinda could see the color scheme in my head but I thought, “no way will it work.”

bathroom_curtain_4

ARE. YOU. KIDDING. ME. Could it match any closer?

shower_curtain_3

Y’all. How beautiful is this bathroom? I’m going to get some brown picture frames for the walls, to kinda bring in that color as well (to match the bath mat).

I know. This is the girliest post I have ever written.

But let me tell you why I’m taking time to show you pictures of my two year old shower curtain perfectly matching my two week old bathroom.

Because I think that sometimes we all could just use a little reminder that God knows everything. He knew I’d move to Nashville, He knew I’d have this bathroom, and He knew I wouldn’t be able to find a matching curtain for that tile. So He just took care of it for me with a Target sale in 2007. I guess it just makes me feel reassured that Nashville has been on His radar all along. And I’m hoping this reminds you that nothing [even coordinating bathrooms] is too tiny for His caring eye.

It’s the little things that make me love God so much that I want to give Him my life.

He knows how to perfectly speak love to my heart. That day that I bought the shower curtain, just because it was on sale, God knew it would be a future testimony of His love for me.

I guess you could say that my bathroom is a love letter. Written in pink and gray.

1. ali
    posted on Feb 12, 2009 at 7:36 AM  |  reply

Yay God. Yay Target. Yay girly stuff. Yay red stickers.

2. Southern Gal
    posted on Feb 12, 2009 at 7:53 AM  |  reply

And it’s beautiful, as is the Father’s love for His children.

Thanks Annie.

3. posted on Feb 12, 2009 at 8:33 AM  |  reply

that is so cool!!!!

4. Shana
    posted on Feb 12, 2009 at 8:36 AM  |  reply

Oh, Annie, this just made my day. Thank you for sharing this! God is so good. I love it-and I love you!!

5. Debs
    posted on Feb 12, 2009 at 9:02 AM  |  reply

Love it, love it…my first thought was that the gray and pink is kinda retro…isn’t that in? Your bathroom is adorable…get ready for amazing revelation to be revealed in that bathroom! ha…love you, Debs

6. posted on Feb 12, 2009 at 9:12 AM  |  reply

Well, if His eye is on the sparrow, I definitely believe that it’s on the bathroom, too. I totally believe God appreciates a well-decorated room.
    And you might be the first person I’ve ever heard to praise Him for a shower curtain.
    And I find that totally awesome.

7. posted on Feb 12, 2009 at 9:58 AM  |  reply

Awesome! I love this story – and you’re right, you couldn’t find a better match!

I love thinking of moments like that as love letters from God. It’s such an endearing way to see those moments. Truly it is him speaking love to us.

What a sweet love note – and timed just right… just in time for Valentine’s Day. πŸ™‚

8. posted on Feb 12, 2009 at 10:06 AM  |  reply

If you only knew how much I needed to hear this today, you would be dancing around your new cute bathroom in amazement of God’s master plan.

I literally sent an email about 20 minutes ago about being able to trust that God wants the details.

Thanks so much.

And your bathroom is adorable!

9. posted on Feb 12, 2009 at 10:07 AM  |  reply

I love this post, Annie. Good reminder of the importance of the little things. I love the new bathroom, btw.

10. posted on Feb 12, 2009 at 10:41 AM  |  reply

Sooooo cute! And the little red stickers at Target kinda make my heart skip a beat…I get so excited.

11. posted on Feb 12, 2009 at 10:44 AM  |  reply

cutie patootie

12. posted on Feb 12, 2009 at 11:26 AM  |  reply

Yes! Yes!

I’m seeing this with fresh eyes too. It’s humbling to think that the creator God who made the universe cares so intimately about us that He even orchestrates the details to speak directly to who we are.

Wow.

13. posted on Feb 12, 2009 at 11:45 AM  |  reply

“Colorblind Charlie”! LOL. I know him well. He painted our house.

14. posted on Feb 12, 2009 at 12:23 PM  |  reply

So I’ve been lurking on your blog for a while now and felt the need to post today. I totally bought that same pattern in a quilt on what I call “beyond on sale.” I even think I told the cashier as I was walking out, “I feel like I’m stealing this because it’s so cheap.” I love that quilt so much and if I’d known there was a matching shower curtain, you know I would have been all over that!

And let’s be honest, it’s like Colorblind Charlie knew one day you would come along with the perfect shower curtain for that bathroom.

15. posted on Feb 12, 2009 at 12:35 PM  |  reply

Love when God does stuff like this. It reminds me of Tara Leigh Cobble finding paint at her friend’s house in Crowded Skies (I could quote that book backwards and forwards – thanks to you for writing about it!) – “And that’s how God painted my wall.”

16. posted on Feb 12, 2009 at 2:29 PM  |  reply

Hooray for ugly bathrooms, and the shower curtains that redeem them!

17. posted on Feb 12, 2009 at 3:55 PM  |  reply

I love how that looks! And I’m totally with you on those love letters from God. I think we’re surrounded with gifts like this, if we’ll just open our eyes to see them.

Although… I take exception with the Colorblind Charlie comment. What do you have against Charlies? My husband and son at least aren’t colorblind. πŸ˜‰

18. posted on Feb 12, 2009 at 6:08 PM  |  reply

Hey girl! I came by your blog through the Blissdom linky party. I didn’t get to go but wanted to hear what all you gals had to say about it. Sounded so fun! But I came across this post and girl, I so sympathize with the tiles! I have the most awful looking tiles in the world. I’ll share a link to my post I did about it. But I can definatly understand about the Lord just knowing everything and being in total control. Our house was a major gift to us and though the bathroom is in major need of a redo, we are blessed by it. Here’s the link to the pix if you want to see! Sorry for the novel! πŸ™‚

19. posted on Feb 12, 2009 at 6:12 PM  |  reply

My husband and I owned a Duplex in Green Hills, our very first home many years ago, that had that very same bathroom. That is wild!

20. posted on Feb 12, 2009 at 7:41 PM  |  reply

It always amazes me when God works this way. I mean, how can we not know He exists, when He works out all of the details. The curtain is perfect. πŸ™‚

21. posted on Feb 12, 2009 at 8:31 PM  |  reply

If I didn’t ALREADY love you, then this would totally push me over the edge! Love this post. You’re so right about God’s timing. So why is it so hard for us to trust Him?

22. posted on Feb 12, 2009 at 10:28 PM  |  reply

love it! love you!

23. posted on Feb 12, 2009 at 11:07 PM  |  reply

i’m down with the pink and gray.

24. Laura
    posted on Feb 12, 2009 at 11:14 PM  |  reply

you’re bananas and i love the curtains. i will be sending your letter soon so be looking out for it. i just need stamps. love you!

25. posted on Feb 13, 2009 at 8:05 AM  |  reply

that is so amazing, and so sweet!

26. Criste
    posted on Feb 13, 2009 at 4:40 PM  |  reply

I love the way you write. Will you write me a poem? I miss you.

27. posted on Feb 13, 2009 at 9:19 PM  |  reply

That is the most killer thing I’ve heard in a long while. I love your God!

28. posted on Feb 14, 2009 at 10:05 AM  |  reply

[…] This post by Annie made me […]

29. posted on Feb 14, 2009 at 11:13 AM  |  reply

God is just A-MA-ZING! Love the story, and adore the new bathroom! πŸ™‚

30. posted on Feb 14, 2009 at 1:37 PM  |  reply

Welcome to Nashville!

You have given me hope for our bathroom. I’ve had a shower curtain that I bought with hooks at the Penney’s outlet for over a year. It is still in its package. Unfortunately, our tile, though a neutral color, doesn’t look as nice as yours and we have to paint after peeling the many layers of wallpaper, but, nevertheless, you have inspired me to get it done. Thank you.

31. posted on Feb 14, 2009 at 2:55 PM  |  reply

That is ReAlLy cool! What’s even cooler is that you’re able to see His hand.. so many people would just chalk it up to “good luck”. And welcome to Nashville; I’ve lived outside of Atlanta for 25 years now, but Nashville is “home”. It’s where I grew up and where my blood relatives still reside. And it’s a fun town, too! Happy Valentines Day…

32. posted on Feb 14, 2009 at 3:53 PM  |  reply

Oh that is just SO COOL!!! I love the way it looks, too! That is adorable!

Suzanne

33. posted on Feb 14, 2009 at 5:16 PM  |  reply

That’s our incredible God… He’s just SO good!

34. posted on Feb 14, 2009 at 8:31 PM  |  reply

love it!

35. Amy
    posted on Feb 14, 2009 at 9:38 PM  |  reply

Colorblind Charlie tiled my bathroom too. I am alarmed to say that we have the same tile in one of the bathrooms in our house. I love the curtain!

36. posted on Feb 14, 2009 at 9:43 PM  |  reply

Wow. Jesus does love you, doesn’t He?

:))

37. posted on Feb 15, 2009 at 8:43 PM  |  reply

Okay- so very weird. I live in Nashville and had a bathroom EXACTLY like yours. Here’s what we did if you’re interested- I got wallpaper (and I’m not usually a wallpaper fan, but I was desperate) and asked the very knowledgeable wallpaper guy what to do and he sent me home with a floral wallpaper with a BLACK background- none of that was my style at all, but he told me to try it and I did and it was GORGEOUS. Then we bought a couple of boxes of those linoleum tiles (the big 18 x 18 squares) that looked like slate and put them down right over our checkered floor. When we sold that house the people who bought it from us said the bathroom is what sold them and insisted that the floor was real tile- it took us showing them the extra box of tiles before they believed us. There’s a great wallpaper store in greenhills and I can give you hints for other great deal places if you’re interested. Feel free to e-mail if you’d like.

Good luck- the shower curtain is great! Oh- and welcome to Nashville!

38. posted on Feb 15, 2009 at 10:23 PM  |  reply

Love it.

The best part about experiences like this is that in the future, there will be hard times when you won’t feel like you can hear from the Lord. But on those times, you will look back and say, God cared about my stupid shower curtain – that’s why I KNOW that my Redeemer lives, even if I can’t hear him right now.

love you.

39. posted on Feb 15, 2009 at 10:23 PM  |  reply

Ps – is your sitemeter exploding?
    Sophie loves you too.

40. Jennifer
    posted on Feb 16, 2009 at 9:15 AM  |  reply

I love it! God is awesome! Unfortunately, this story will stay tucked away when I am looking for nothing in particular in case I find “just the cutest thing” with a red sticker! πŸ™‚ I don’t want to miss God’s love, right?!

41. posted on Feb 18, 2009 at 6:14 PM  |  reply

Here via boomama–
    I love it (both the store and the shower curtain)!

Welcome to Nashville!

42. posted on Feb 22, 2009 at 11:31 PM  |  reply

this is the sweetest post, because it is so like God.

i have many “shower curtains” that testify to his sweet love for me. thanks for reminding me of that.

43. posted on Apr 09, 2009 at 8:40 PM  |  reply

I have a God story like that. IT involves the unexpectedness of me having baby #3. Back in 2006 I bid on a olive kids bedspread on Ebay for my then 3 year old son. I was pregnant with my daughter and was decorating my son’s room and my daughter’s new nursery. Unexpectedly when I won the bid there were 2 of the Olive Kids bedspreads. I thought oh well I’ll put it up for later when my son destroys the first one. Fast forward to November 2007 I find out I am pregnant with #3, a few months later I find out #3 is a boy. I get all giddy when I tell my husband that God planned this and knew it when I got 2 bedspreads for the price of 1 he knew that baby #3 which we did not plan was his plan and that bunkbeds with matching bedspreads were in our future! AMEN!