The Noticer Project

on April 14, 2009 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 12 comments by

Last week at Mt. Hermon, I heard about Andy Andrews‘ new book and this cool new idea- The Noticer Project.

It seems that the majority of us, myself included, wait until important events occur to recognize the people who have been the most influential in our lives. Things like weddings, funerals, or graduations.

So, thanks to The Noticer Project, we are getting the chance to do this now. So here is my list. These folks are the most influential people in my life. I am who I am because of the fingerprints these people have left on my heart.

1. Mom and Dad.

• Obviously. They raised me in a Godly home, insisted I get a good education, and replaced all the tires I busted on the car(s). They have supported me at every turn, pushed me when i wanted to stop, let me follow God even when it wasn’t fun for any of us, and pretty much been really good at raising kids. I consider myself very lucky for being born into this family.

2. Kathleen.

• I wrote about Kathleen here, but I would say that she was one of the most influential voices in my spiritual growth. Her guidance in my life, in decision making, and in following God’s will, has been priceless. I know God better because of her influence in my life.

3. Mrs. Spence.

• Mrs. Spence was my 3rd grade teacher. I remember clearly sitting in her classroom and thinking, “If this is what being a teacher is, I wanna do it.” And for five years of teaching, I tried everyday to be like her. We went to lunch about a year ago and I can only pray that in 15 years, I’ll get a call from a student to see if I’m available to grab lunch. Cause that’s proof of a lasting impact.

4. Shannon Primicerio

• Shannon lives here in California and as I had Easter lunch with her family on Sunday, I told them that every good connection I have in writing is from Shannon.  And that is true. Our friendship started with this interview and Shannon quickly became a dear friend. She encourages my writing while also being selfless with her connections and knowledge. She is an extremely talented author and speaker and she challenges me to be better at our craft. She is, without question, the most influential friend in my writing career.

5. Haley

• Haley and Molly are my two best friends. And I actually wrote a post about Haley for her birthday. She plucked my eyebrows for the first time, went shopping with me for my first homecoming dress, cooked me breakfast my first day of college, asked me to be a bridesmaid, and shares my love for all things Top Chef. Every huge decision in my life gets sent through the Haley Filter because she is full of wisdom and honesty. Sigh…. I love her so much and I am deeply grateful that she is a strong voice in my life.

So there are my five. Sure, it’s technically six cause I listed my parents together. But two become one when they get married, right?

I would love to read about your five most influential people [or six, I don’t judge you]. So play along with The Noticer Project. Write a post on your blog and link it in the comments, or write a note on facebook, or just list them in the comments. Then head over to The Noticer Project website and send emails to those people.

It’s just a normal Tuesday. Why not take a minute to notice?

1. posted on Apr 14, 2009 at 8:15 AM  |  reply

This is such a great idea!

Speaking of Top Chef, are you as excited about the new Master’s show as I am?

2. Laurie
    posted on Apr 14, 2009 at 8:19 AM  |  reply

I’ll definitely be doing this! But I just had to say my oldest daughter who will soon be leaving for college is planning on being a teacher – a 3RD GRADE teacher – and it’s all because of her 3rd grade teacher, as well. It’s funny because I’ve actually heard that from several others. Must be that year that has a connection with kids. So people pray for an awesome 3rd grade teacher for your kids! You must have been a wonderful teacher – maybe some day my daughter can get some tips from you!

3. posted on Apr 14, 2009 at 9:02 AM  |  reply

Hey Annie!
    I’m noticing you because you are fabulous, funny and about to turn the publishing world upside down. Miss you, girl!

4. posted on Apr 14, 2009 at 11:57 AM  |  reply

I’m doing this next week, I think. I love the way you were concise but still heart-felt in your noticing. Thanks for sharing!

5. Haley
    posted on Apr 14, 2009 at 1:42 PM  |  reply

Oh, you… And WHAT is this about Masters Top Chef?? That is thrilling beyond words.

6. posted on Apr 14, 2009 at 1:58 PM  |  reply

I’d love to do this–I’m usually jumping aboard when people suggest listing your top five influencers–but that #1 spot went down the drain recently and threw the rest outta whack. I’m honestly not sure how to answer anymore. But it’s good to at least get me thinkin’ on it.

7. Shannon
    posted on Apr 14, 2009 at 2:58 PM  |  reply

I logged onto your blog to get a laugh for the day, and you went and made me cry! I am HONORED to be on your list, Annie! You are a special friend and I cannot wait to see what God does with your writing. Who knows, maybe you and I can be the next generation of Women of Faith! Ha!

8. Rusty
    posted on Apr 14, 2009 at 6:09 PM  |  reply

Great list, Annie. Thanks for sharing =)

9. posted on Apr 14, 2009 at 7:51 PM  |  reply

What a great idea, Annie. I’m going to put pencil to paper….
    Thanks for the inspiration.

10. posted on Apr 15, 2009 at 5:10 AM  |  reply

nice. i love that. noticing people today and not too late. =)

miss you and i’m praying for you friend.

11. posted on Apr 15, 2009 at 2:43 PM  |  reply

I added these links to my blog as well… what a great idea.. I even mentioned you in the blog title 🙂

12. posted on Apr 23, 2009 at 5:04 PM  |  reply

It’s funny that I found out about Andy Andrews because I was going to rename my blog Things I’ve Noticed to The Noticer so I own thenoticer.com. I thought I’d look it up and I stumbled upon your blog. It seems like making this list will be a nice Facebook popular list for people to do.