We need to discuss television.

on April 15, 2009 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 18 comments by

Because you may have a shocking amount of free time to fill and you are just sitting there wondering, “Will anyone tell me something good to watch on TV so I can waste hours of my life on something that has no eternal value?””

Why yes. Yes I will. And you are welcome.

Some friends of mine in Nashville COULD NOT stop talking about the show KINGS on NBC. So as soon as I got to California and wanted to watch four solid hours of drama, I looked up KINGS on hulu.com and y’all. I. Love. It. It’s a modern day retelling of the life of King David- starring David Shepherd [genius], enemy war tanks called Goliaths [they were big, obviously], and Reverend Samuels. I’ve heard rumbles of it being canceled, so as my friend Matt says in his hit song 5:19, “I’m holding loose, but ain’t lettin’ go….” and I suggest the same depth of commitment for you.

Also, can we please talk about AMERICAN IDOL for a minute? My dad has loved this show for years, he calls it his “singin’ show” and we are not encouraged to call during the “singin’ show hours”. So. There’s that. I usually don’t watch it, but this season, thanks to Marisa and Betsy, I am addicted. Namely to Adam. Because y’all. I don’t even care who you are, you have to agree that Adam performs at a different level than anyone else. There are some other good ones, I’ll admit. But I would pay to see Adam sing live RIGHT NOW. I don’t know that he will win, the politics of it all and the insane voters out there, but I’ll be watching to see. Cause I’m hooked. And listen, don’t call me or email me during my singin’ show hours. Okay? Okay.

Also, I need to make a confession. I have a crush on Simon. Not a “this is a good joke” kind of crush. But a “I’m in LA. He’s in LA. This could be THE ONE” kind of crush. Okay, maybe not. But I did want to kiss him for a minute. Mainly because of this video that Jeremy showed me. Watch it. And then try to convince me that you didn’t tear up. Cause you did. Yeah, even you, Daddy. I know you did.

Finally. After American Idol is FRINGE. This show is crazy. It mixes FBI and freaky mcfreakster kind of stuff. And did I mention that Pacey from Dawson’s Creek is one of the stars? Cause that will hook anyone in the 24-32 age bracket. [Am I right or am I right?] So they solve crimes that involve weird circumstances, like tonight when an animal got on the loose that was a mix of a tiger, a bat, a snake, and a wasp. It rattled and slithered and walked. And ate people. And injected loads of larvae into each body. It was S-C-A-R-Y.

Let’s just say that this show is so good that it sticks with you like my grandmother’s biscuits. After I watched it at Linda‘s house, I drove home and got out of the car at the exact same moment that the sprinklers next door fired up.

And in case you don’t know, sprinklers sound JUST LIKE hybrid animal monsters that inject you with larvae.

And in case you didn’t know, I almost soiled myself.

I’ll leave you with that.

1. John Ireland
    posted on Apr 15, 2009 at 8:26 AM  |  reply

the next-to-last line was worth the price of admission 🙂 thanks for a good morning laugh!

2. Kristi Kay
    posted on Apr 15, 2009 at 8:44 AM  |  reply

Wow, that video. Why does that make us cry? Like, embarrassingly cry…like snot cry.

3. posted on Apr 15, 2009 at 8:52 AM  |  reply

Ah, Pacey. Good times.

4. posted on Apr 15, 2009 at 9:28 AM  |  reply

I loved that video of Susan Boyle. So fun!

5. posted on Apr 15, 2009 at 9:29 AM  |  reply

The funny thing was, my son kept trying to talk to Susan, Simon and the other people in the video, because he’s so used to video chatting with his grandparents – he thought we were video chatting with those people.

Ha!

6. Laurie
    posted on Apr 15, 2009 at 9:54 AM  |  reply

Still need to check out KINGS – maybe this weekend.

7. Laurie
    posted on Apr 15, 2009 at 10:02 AM  |  reply

Just watched the video – I was tearing up and smiling the whole time I watched it!! Thanks for sharing it!

8. posted on Apr 15, 2009 at 10:08 AM  |  reply

lol, soiled yourself!! hahahaha that video of susan boyle was awesome!! thanks!!

9. posted on Apr 15, 2009 at 10:32 AM  |  reply

Okay I believe we’ve established that I am obsessed with Kings. I couldn’t wait to hulu the new episode on Monday, and then…nothing. Gasp.

I love AI and I love Simon, but I don’t know that he’s the one for you. Plus, I might have “a man crush” on Kara.

Fringe = 2009’s X-Files.

10. posted on Apr 15, 2009 at 12:50 PM  |  reply

I’m really enjoying Idol this season. As a matter of fact, I think this is the first season I’ve watched in its entirety. Adam is incredible, but my favorite is Kris.

Do you watch Chuck? It’s awesome – it’s got romance, comedy and spy stuff. What more could a TV viewer want?

11. posted on Apr 15, 2009 at 2:25 PM  |  reply

I have to disagree with you about Adam. I agree he sings at a different level than the others, but that level is weird and outlandish. I like Kris.

I hope we can still be friends. 🙂

12. posted on Apr 15, 2009 at 2:47 PM  |  reply

Totally agree with Mary – Chuck is probably the best show on tv right now . . .

i do love Fringe too though – because the crazy Walter? he cracks me up. Oh and Pacey (or whatever his name is on the show haha). Love him too.

13. posted on Apr 15, 2009 at 3:32 PM  |  reply

Im a big MENTALIST fan. It’s note-worthy. Try it. What’s another hour out of your life, anyways?

14. posted on Apr 15, 2009 at 6:41 PM  |  reply

That video smashed me. I tweeted it, sister. Nice find.

15. Julianne
    posted on Apr 16, 2009 at 3:26 PM  |  reply

I absolutely LOVE Adam! He is definitely my favorite:)

16. posted on Apr 19, 2009 at 8:44 PM  |  reply

I cried at the Susan Boyle video too. And gave her a standing ovation in my living room. Thanks for the review of Kings, I’ll have to try it. And yes, the sprinklers and the scary movies. From the vantage point of 54 years, I would advise you to stop watching scary movies because just in case, if you end up living alone in the woods, and you forget to feed your outside cat til after dark. Well, I’m just saying…

17. posted on Apr 19, 2009 at 8:45 PM  |  reply

P.S. Annie, did you get my email reply to your email?

18. posted on Apr 19, 2009 at 11:28 PM  |  reply