Sweet Tea.

on April 16, 2009 in video blogs with 27 comments by

[For you feed reader peeps, you're gonna wanna click on over for a delightful little homemade video.]

Here’s the recipe for this sweet tea, directly from my Mama.

Use 6 family size Tetley tea bags for one gallon of tea and steep for 5 minutes.  Pour into container with sugar.  I only put about 1 cup of sugar but 1 ¼ is probably more Southern.  Stir till sugar dissolved then add cold water.  If you are in a hurry, add enough ice cubes to fill half way and stir until they melt.

And special thanks to Lady Antebellum for being my background singers. Or… uh… something like that.

Marisa, we need to hear from you in the comments regarding Waffle House. Please and thank you.

To all you Southern ladies and gentlemen out there, give Shannon more tips in the comments. Especially if I did something wrong. Or if you have a different/better way to make tea. I won’t take it personally.

[On the other hand, and for future reference, don't say ONE WORD about my chicken and dumplins. Cause that is a labor of love that I do not take lightly.]
Tags:

1. Southern Gal
    posted on Apr 16, 2009 at 6:50 AM  |  reply

OK. Did you actually mean to write “Sweat Tea” for the title to this post? Cause if you did you left out a step or two for sweat tea…

2. posted on Apr 16, 2009 at 7:59 AM  |  reply

lol @ Southern Gal!!! yeah a couple!! thanks for that annie, i will try that , but i don’t like sickening sweet tea, so…… plus i like a lot of lemon in my tea!!! ;)

great video btw!!

much love!

3. Kristi Kay
    posted on Apr 16, 2009 at 8:48 AM  |  reply

Ooh, girl…you need to put a disclaimer on this video that around 2:40 and 5:00, Lady Antebellum cranks up REAL loud on your speakers…yikes!

Okay, I use 2 cups of sugar…I think Gaggie may even use 3. That’s why we only drink it in the Stofer house on special occasions…like Easter, when it was a hit! Also, I think it’s better if you let it sit for a while after you make it…like overnight or at least a few hours in the frig.

4. posted on Apr 16, 2009 at 9:03 AM  |  reply

Um, thanks for the SWEAT TEA recipe, you weirdo. Check your title.

To rid oneself of the CA water taste, either a) move out of CA, or b) buy water from the grocery store. I used to do this when I lived in FL. You know the dreaded FL water taste. Yuck.

And the trick to Southern Sweet Tea (you covered it nicely, kudos) is to pour HOT tea over the sugar so it dissolves before putting the cold water in. So many people don’t get that. They want to sweeten their already cold tea by pouring sugar in it. Nope. All you got there is unsweet tea with grit. NOT SOUTHERN.

I miss you. Let’s hang soon.

5. posted on Apr 16, 2009 at 9:04 AM  |  reply

Oh, and that is TOTALLY a waffle house coffee pot.

And you don’t have to use a tea kettle at all – you can just use a regular pot and boil water. Same same.

6. posted on Apr 16, 2009 at 9:27 AM  |  reply

Love it. I, um, don’t mean to go all Martha Stewart on you, but things like sugar should be measured with dry measuring cups, not one for liquids. Although I don’t really understand it. I know it’s SUPPOSED to make a difference but in the grand scheme of things, I doubt it’s going to affect the sweetness (or sweatness) of the tea. And that’s what’s most important. So never mind. Carry on.

7. posted on Apr 16, 2009 at 10:20 AM  |  reply

Well done! And I also blame the weird tasting water on Governor Arnold. In Idaho (where I’m from) my Mom used to make sun tea and it was basically the same idea just with less sugar and the tea sits in the sun for two days before it is ready. Basically, it’s not as good.

8. posted on Apr 16, 2009 at 10:46 AM  |  reply

OH man…I laughed so hard when you said the first thing we need to do is…make the tea…so funny!

9. AnnieBlogs
    posted on Apr 16, 2009 at 11:37 AM  |  reply

Yeah, about the SWEAT TEA, It was 1:30am.

You’ve seen my abilities at 1:30am.

Not good.

Post title fixed.

Author ashamed.

10. Laurie
    posted on Apr 16, 2009 at 12:54 PM  |  reply

Ahhh, the house wine of the south!! I actually only use 2 family size Lipton tea bags per 1 gallon and 1 cup of sugar. I also just use a regular pot to boil the water in and I do let it steep on the counter for several hours. Incredible on a hot summer day!

11. Shannon
    posted on Apr 16, 2009 at 1:31 PM  |  reply

HILARIOUS! I’m glad that I didn’t look like a total idiot…except for the fact that I used a measuring cup for liquids to measure something dry. Oh well, I play with words for a living not numbers. Measuring is not my thing :)

12. posted on Apr 16, 2009 at 1:32 PM  |  reply

I loved your narration in the video. It made me smile.

13. Laura
    posted on Apr 16, 2009 at 9:11 PM  |  reply

SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP! you’re wearing TWIN SHIRT!! i’m so pumped, and feeling quite loved. i know you thought about me all day long. can’t wait to see you! oh and um, the video was good too. haha. i was excited about your wordrobe.

14. posted on Apr 16, 2009 at 10:11 PM  |  reply

so fun! i like the comments in the video. since i live in the south sweet tea is a big thing. i like it mostly sweet – my parents are northeners. it’s also really good with some fresh mint leaves as a garnish/flavor adder!

15. posted on Apr 16, 2009 at 10:17 PM  |  reply

Thanks for the cesipe…Love your blog and will be back to read more….Stop by and visit me when you have a chance..

16. posted on Apr 17, 2009 at 2:22 AM  |  reply

wish. i. was. there.

17. posted on Apr 17, 2009 at 2:28 AM  |  reply

oh and GREAT biola plug! you guys are so cute.

18. posted on Apr 17, 2009 at 11:06 AM  |  reply

When we take our youth (Here from CA-NA-DA) Stateside for mission trips, they are always shocked by the iced tea. We’ve got the mix, we don’t usually do suntea, etc.

Invariably a kid will order iced tea from a restaurant and nearly spew it all over the table in front of them.

“This isn’t iced tea! This… this is tea… that’s iced!”

Serious.

19. posted on Apr 17, 2009 at 3:41 PM  |  reply

That was the cutest video! You cracked me UP!

My Granny was from southern Georgia. And Granny made suh-weeeeet tea. One time, my older cousin was babysitting me, and my mom left instructions for us to make a gallon of tea. Including adding a respectable (for Missouri) 3/4 cup of sugar. Well, um, we thought she said 3 or 4 cups of sugar…and oh my, we had us some Sweet Granny Tea! I don’t think my Granny actually put that much sugar in her tea. But my husband puts 1 1/4 cups in ours, and I am pretty sure Granny’s was sweeter than that.

Cuz she was suuuuuuthern.

20. tatum
    posted on Apr 17, 2009 at 8:34 PM  |  reply

brad. tatum here…annie’s sister. i live with a bunch of canadians. that whole “iced tea” thing is funny. weirdest part: when they make “hot iced tea”. crazy canadians.

we had an entire discussion this week about iced tea (canadian) vs iced tea (american) vs sweet tea.

annie. i also called during the singing show. with a tax question no less. on april 14. shame on me.

21. posted on Apr 17, 2009 at 9:07 PM  |  reply

I was waiting for that pitcher to shatter when you poured water into it that was boiling only 5 minutes prior. I thought, man, this is gonna be the best video EVER.

22. debbie sutton
    posted on Apr 18, 2009 at 11:25 AM  |  reply

leonard’s aunt really liked sweet tea. she would take a glass of delicious, properly prepared sweet tea and add four packets of sweet n’ low to it. I’m so glad that you’re spreading the tea gospel to your less knowledgable friends. Hey – I think I’m going to see you soon – if I can ever get out of this airport.

23. posted on Apr 18, 2009 at 11:38 AM  |  reply

Can you please drive down the little ways to my house and make me some? Because, well, I’ve tried. And, well, it doesn’t turn out so great. DESPITE my Alabama familial roots. I know. Pleaseandthankyou.

24. posted on Apr 18, 2009 at 3:09 PM  |  reply

Sorry, no sugar for me. No lemon, either. I like my tea PLAIN as can be!

25. posted on Apr 19, 2009 at 11:26 PM  |  reply

waffle house pot: affirmative.
    (sorry for my tardiness on the commenting)

want to know a little secret to cleaning said waffle house coffee pot? (aka “side work”)
    if my memory is serving me right…it was summer of 2003 after all…
    pour in a couple spoonfulls of salt, a couple lemon wedges, and some ice. shake around for a minute or 2, to get that pot nice and clean. rinse and you’re good to go.
    …and that one’s for free.

26. Pat Layton
    posted on Apr 21, 2009 at 8:36 PM  |  reply

Annie,
    I am not sure how I found my way to your blog tonight but it is so cool!
    I just had to comment on your Sweet Tea training video. Sweet Tea is truly worth the time to teach! Generations of Southerners have invested in it’s perfection.
    You represented the south well.
    I have but one correction….It DOES matter that Tetley is used vs Lipton. If you don’t believe me just ask that hubby to compare the two!!
    Next video maybe!
    At the risk of plagiarizing…could I link to this post with my own Sweet Tea comments?
    Check me out and let me know!
    Bless you and your ministry!! Young women need you!!
    Pat

27. Julianne
    posted on Nov 19, 2009 at 8:23 PM  |  reply

I laughed out loud about the part about Colonel :) this comment may be a little late..