Dear bloggers, don’t be creepy like this.

on April 20, 2009 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 10 comments by

So something really interesting has happened at some blogs that I frequent.

A blogger by the name “Miss Musing” has pretty much been STEALING other people’s posts and posting them as her own. Here you can read about Velveteen Mind’s experience, and CJane talked about it, and so did Azucar who seems tough as nails and I want to be friends with her.

Miss Musing’s blog has been spontaneously combusted by Blogger and Twitter bombed her account. So she’s a goner on the internet. At least under that alias.

But I say all that to say this:

– If you EVER see anything from my blog posted on someone else’s blog, PLEASE let me know. That is plagiarism and it is NOT right.

– If you EVER see anything on two blogs that seem like the same post, leave comments for both people. Someone is a thief and someone is oblivious. Let them both know that YOU know.

– If you find that you love a particular post on a particular blog and you want your people to see it, JUST ASK. I have HUGE respect for the people who handle it that way. That is a compliment to the blogger. When my google analytics pick up a stolen post, that makes me frown. And just FYI, once the blogger hits “PUBLISH” or “POST” it is copyrighted. So to take it without permission is actually against the law. I’m just saying.

– I know there are days when you can hear my friends’ voices in my voice. Heck, sometimes I can literally hear Sophie in my OWN head when I’m typing. Or Sarah. Or even Jason. And for SURE Annie Parsons. That’s different than cutting and pasting posts. That’s me being a vocal sponge and trying to suck all the funny out of everyone else. Cause my people are hilarious and all our jokes muddle together in the same pot in my mind.

In the grand scheme of life, this is not a big deal. But it just tip-toed over the creepy border enough to be blog-worthy. Sometimes I feel like we are all just sitting in my living room talking and drinking chai and then this happens and I’m reminded that Chester Molester or Creepy McCreeperson could be reading.  And stealing.

LAME.

1. posted on Apr 20, 2009 at 10:07 PM  |  reply

Wow, that’s crazy. Who would do that? I’m totally on the lookout now. Of course no one would copy my silly ramblings about peeps and family pics, but still! Just link to posts you like people, don’t steal them!

2. posted on Apr 20, 2009 at 10:07 PM  |  reply

Oh my word, that is creepy (especially since “musings” is part of my blog URL)! I will be on the lookout.

3. Annie
    posted on Apr 20, 2009 at 10:22 PM  |  reply

Kimberly, me either. But it sure will keep my eyes peeled. An internet cop. That’s what I’ll be.

Erin, we all know it was you. 🙂 KIDDING.

4. posted on Apr 20, 2009 at 10:29 PM  |  reply

That is really scary. I’ll be keeping my eyes open. Thanks for the heads up, Annie. (:

5. posted on Apr 21, 2009 at 9:47 AM  |  reply

A bloggy friend of mine had her image stolen by a big pharmacy chain. They are using her face in their newest marking campaign. She blogs multiple times a day, so she’s having to go back through all her archives to find the picture that BIG COMPANY stole.

As an FYI, put a little something on any pictures you post too.

It’s sad that it’s come to this.

6. posted on Apr 21, 2009 at 11:21 AM  |  reply

I’ll be your friend.

7. posted on Apr 21, 2009 at 7:03 PM  |  reply

Ok, if you find funny blog posts about somebody’s husband being a sap boiling maple syrup – or dairy goats who play pranks on their milkmaid, Please email me immediately. Oh, probably won’t be a hot theft item.

8. posted on Apr 21, 2009 at 10:38 PM  |  reply

wow. now i want to check out her blog- i’m so curious!! hence it’s no longer..
    weird fo sho