A first class sacrifice.

on April 21, 2009 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 16 comments by

When I got on the plane from Atlanta to Nashville, I didn’t notice anyone else.

I am what some would label “self-absorbed” in situations like that where I don’t know anyone and have a destination. As I sat and got comfy, I began to listen to the sounds and conversations around me. [Because I tend to fluctuate between self-absorbed and completely nosy.]

As the flight attendants slammed the overhead compartments shut, the two hens behind me were cackling back and forth about all the ways they plan to stick it to their HOA president. “Oh… I’ll get that gnome and put it right beside the mailbox. That’s against the rules, right?” Nothing says good drama like some neighborhood drama. There was a young guy from Britain across the aisle reading a book and he would audibly grunt in agreement about once every 30 seconds. I wanted to be friends with him, if for no other reason than to hear about this awesome book.

A flight attendant walked by and tapped the man sitting two rows in front of me. “We have a seat in first class if you’d like it.”

My mind began to race. I mean, I know it’s only a 36 minute flight, and I actually have a row to myself, but come ON! Flying from Atlanta to Nashville? Dude must be famous. I wanted to remind her that HELLO I can list a few reasons I should be in first class- namely that I am good enough, smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like me. I DESERVE first class as much as famous guy. Just because he is “faayyymusss” [said in a very snotty voice and rolling my eyes].

He stood up and as his shoulders came into view, I saw sand and olive colored fatigues. Graciously saying “Why, thank you,” he moved out into the aisle and headed to the one remaining seat in first class.

Dude wasn’t famous. He was a member of the United Stated Army.  My protection. A servant to our country.

I teared up, realizing for the ump-teenth time that I am officially a jerk.

There are some deeper truths and issues that God and I are going to discuss today. [And by “discuss” I mean, “He’s going to deal with my sinful heart”.]

Namely, why was I not satisfied with a row to myself?

And dear Annie, it was 36 minutes. Really? REALLY? Sheesh. You are insufferable.

Greater than these, though, is the reminder that my selfish reasons for deserving a first class seat pale in comparison to what got him there.

Sacrifice.

1. posted on Apr 21, 2009 at 8:00 AM  |  reply

This actually made me cry. Thanks for your honesty. We’re all guilty of these types of things…we’re just not all willing to admit it.

2. Debs
    posted on Apr 21, 2009 at 8:11 AM  |  reply

Goosebumps…I love goosebumps! Thanks for the great post…enough said!

3. posted on Apr 21, 2009 at 9:15 AM  |  reply

wow

conviction

4. posted on Apr 21, 2009 at 9:26 AM  |  reply

Oh my word, you had me at “sand and olive colored fatigues.” I’m vaclempt. (Sorry to the cawfee tawk lady, if my yiddish spelling is off).
    My hubs served in Afganistan, and I seriously tear up every time I see a military uniform in the airport. Because it might mean somebody’s daddy, mommy, husband or wife is coming home….

5. posted on Apr 21, 2009 at 10:15 AM  |  reply

AMEN!

6. posted on Apr 21, 2009 at 11:11 AM  |  reply

I’m entirely too emotional, too patriotic, and too “Annie’s more honest than me” convicted to not boohoo like a child right now. Gah, Annie. Gah in the very best way.

7. posted on Apr 21, 2009 at 11:44 AM  |  reply

oh my word, what I wouldn’t do for a 36 minute fight. Seriously? You can get somewhere in only 36 minutes??

8. posted on Apr 21, 2009 at 12:47 PM  |  reply

This post totally made my day. Thanks!

9. KP
    posted on Apr 21, 2009 at 1:17 PM  |  reply

Your honesty is so refreshing. I can’t hang with people who can’t take off the Christian mask and admit that they are still a work in progress. We’re all broken. That’s why we all need a Savior.

10. posted on Apr 21, 2009 at 6:10 PM  |  reply

just read all your posts since sweet tea. love you and miss you.

hey, did you go to chic fil a when you were here?

great post, by the way, friend.

11. posted on Apr 21, 2009 at 7:14 PM  |  reply

I love this post (and this blog).

12. Valerie
    posted on Apr 21, 2009 at 8:08 PM  |  reply

Annie, I just love you! And not just for introducing me to Dave Barnes but for exposing your humanity. Thank you.

13. posted on Apr 21, 2009 at 8:14 PM  |  reply

Good thoughts, sister. Blessings and peace.

14. posted on Apr 21, 2009 at 9:21 PM  |  reply

Annie, thank you for your transparency. God certainly has to deal with my sinful heart all. the. time.

I love that the flight attendant offered the first-class seat to the soldier. That’s so awesome – and totally made me cry.

15. posted on Apr 22, 2009 at 4:16 AM  |  reply

Can I say that my husband would totally not have taken that seat? He still doesn’t think that what he did in Kuwait or Iraq was any big deal. He is my hero.

16. Southern Gal
    posted on Apr 23, 2009 at 7:55 AM  |  reply

I’ve been out of it for a few days and have been catching up on your posts.

My dad offered to pay for a military family’s meal at a steak house recently. The waitress kindly thanked my dad and said, “Sir, that is so nice of you. But the family has had five people offer to pay this time. It’s taken care of already.” Wow.