We interrupt our reguarly scheduled blogging to discuss green beans.

on April 23, 2009 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 20 comments by

Because I really had no idea that fried green beans were uncommon.

I was talking with Sophie yesterday and came to realize that if she, queen of all things Southern battered and fried, did not know about said bean delicacy, that maybe it was time that all my people got them some education. In the green bean department.

People, meet fried green beans.

fry_basket_1

They are your regular old pole beans. Not like the flat Allen’s green beans, but the round ones. They are cooked and then smothered in a toasted onion batter and DUH-EEP fried. Then this restaurant serves them with a ranchy horseradishy sauce. No. Complaints. Here.

Up close bean shot? Sure. Don’t mind a bit. It’s my pleasure. Smile, bean. It’s your big moment.

close_up_fry

And obviously, I’m eating a salad. Because I’m nothing if not ridiculously healthy.

Here is my cousin Jake going two-sies.

fry_jake

He’s single, ladies. 24 years old. Going to be a teacher. Loves the Lord. Absolutely darlin. So email me if you want to marry him. Just make sure you have a CostCo card, because the man can PUT BACK SOME FOOD.

And because I know this will make your day, HERE is where you can buy these “savory gourmet coated vegetables” [Yeah, that’s the official title. Obviously.]. But it appears that these can only be bought in cases, which is a serious amount of veggies. That will cost you almost $50. Blah-dow!

And listen, I am neither your boss nor your mama, but I feel it my duty to say that I’m not sure it will be beneficial to your health for you to purchase 13.7 pounds of fried green beans. You probably don’t want to look at the nutritional information [slash I wish I hadn’t seen it].

empty_basket

What can I say? I just love vegetables.

And… you’re welcome.

1. posted on Apr 23, 2009 at 12:14 AM  |  reply

Have you read Sophie’s latest post? Because she mentioned these fried green beans and posted the picture you emailed her. Folks are commenting like crazy. ๐Ÿ™‚ Like Sophie, I’ve never heard of fried green beans, but let me tell you, girl, I will be all over ’em tomorrow.

2. Southern Gal
    posted on Apr 23, 2009 at 8:19 AM  |  reply

Now that’s a new one. Fried oreos, candy bars, bananas, etc. I’ve heard of those. But a healthy food like green beans? I’m sure you were shocked when you looked at the nutritional facts on those babies…because who eats just one serving?

3. Debs
    posted on Apr 23, 2009 at 8:28 AM  |  reply

Takes me right back to Scotland where they fry everything…Mars bars, pizza… nothing green in the county except of lots of green gras for the sheep!…great to see Jake..I have no doubt the offers will come streamin’ in for that 24 year old hunk!

4. posted on Apr 23, 2009 at 8:45 AM  |  reply

Well, now, this is interesting. I do not live in the south, but I have heard of restaurants serving fried green beans. TGI Friday’s has them in their commercials, even! (I think we have two of those in the whole city, and I’ve only been to one once and it was years ago, so I’m taking the commercials’ word for it.)

5. posted on Apr 23, 2009 at 9:34 AM  |  reply

Leave it to the South to fry veggies. ๐Ÿ™‚

160 calories doesn’t seem that bad. But that’s of course if you’re sticking to the serving size. And who does that? ๐Ÿ˜‰

6. CC
    posted on Apr 23, 2009 at 10:41 AM  |  reply

mmm..fried green beans look delish. never had them but now i want to try them! and the cous is cute too! don’t have a costco card though…ah well, you win some, you lose some.

7. posted on Apr 23, 2009 at 10:44 AM  |  reply

now that’s what i’m talkin’ about!! ๐Ÿ˜‰ green beans dipped in yummy stuff and fried!! yummo!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

8. posted on Apr 23, 2009 at 11:58 AM  |  reply

I swear I had never heard of fried green beans until I opened up this window.

Wow.

and

Yum.

9. posted on Apr 23, 2009 at 12:58 PM  |  reply

Wow! Fried green beans look delicious. Not what I wanted to read the first day of my most recent diet! ๐Ÿ™‚ Here in the south we have fried green tomatoes. Ever heard of those?

10. posted on Apr 23, 2009 at 1:56 PM  |  reply

Hey, someone even tried frying ice cream, so this shouldn’t be a shock. Where there’s a will, there’s always a way to transform good food into triple bypass surgery.

11. posted on Apr 23, 2009 at 2:35 PM  |  reply

serve it up with some fried zucchini and i’m there!

12. posted on Apr 23, 2009 at 2:43 PM  |  reply

Fried Mars Bar.

That is all.

13. posted on Apr 23, 2009 at 2:48 PM  |  reply

most certainly have heard of them, but have never tried them. now i just might!

14. posted on Apr 23, 2009 at 4:01 PM  |  reply

Funny post. And thanks for putting me on the market, if the fried green bean picture doesnt work, I guess theres always craigslist. Ha!

15. posted on Apr 23, 2009 at 5:14 PM  |  reply

where? WHERE?

16. posted on Apr 24, 2009 at 1:07 AM  |  reply

[…] rotten with tomatoes, corn, cucumbers, eggplant, bell peppers, green beans (By the way,did you know you can fry these?), zipper peas, English peas, watermelons, and cantaloupe. ย Can I get an […]

17. posted on Apr 24, 2009 at 6:38 AM  |  reply

DUH – “Fried Anything” is what I’m talkin’ about…. I love the South for many reasons, one being that we consider Macaroni & Cheese a vegetable…

18. posted on Apr 24, 2009 at 7:56 PM  |  reply

Wow..the green beans actually sound really good! ๐Ÿ™‚ Just wanted to tell you how much I love reading your blog..it’s great!

19. Julianne
    posted on Apr 25, 2009 at 10:25 AM  |  reply

After reading this, I’m getting my mom to make some of those! Ha, and nice picture big brother.

20. Mel
    posted on May 01, 2009 at 2:56 AM  |  reply

In my LIFETIME, I have never heard of nor seen a fried green bean.

I am sheltered.