Annie’s shoes.

on May 27, 2009 in Mocha Club with 21 comments by

africa_feetI have a friend named Annie.

On Sunday, I called her to go shoe shopping with me and instead, she GAVE me her shoes. The same shoes that took her to Africa a few months ago will take me to Africa tomorrow.

Somewhere, in my mind, is rolling around the depth of this idea- two Annies taking the same pair of shoes to multiple countries in Africa- her to Egypt and Sudan, me to South Africa.

There’s something in that. There’s something about the steps she took that are impacting the steps I’m going to take. There’s something about the places these shoes have already been that gives me courage to take them across the Atlantic again.

It’s deep, y’all. I can’t wrap my mind around all of it, but I know it’s there. I know it in my knower.

I wore the shoes yesterday around Nashville, just to make sure they were comfortable and were going to be worth the packing space. ALL DAY LONG this thought ran through my mind. I couldn’t shake it. This physical act is really also a spiritual act. Annie encouraging me to walk that same road, equipping me with what gave her strength to make the journey. Giving freely so that I, in turn, will give.

It was a simple gift, meant only to ease my mind and my budget for this month. It was not meant to be taken quite. so. seriously. And I know that. But God has used this to speak to my heart today.

I’m walking in the shoes of a woman who loves Africa.

And there is a chance that by the time these shoes return to their rightful Annie, they will have walked my heart directly out of my chest and left it lying in Capetown. I’m prepared to return to Nashville with the shoes, but without a portion, or any, of my heart.

I really have no idea what God has in store for me on this trip. I can’t decide if my lack of expectations is a recipe for a disaster or an open door for Him to do His thing. [Probably some diabolically weird and beautiful combination that will have me begging for mercy and begging for more, at the exact same time.] And when my heart can take no more, or when I’m too tired to take another step, I’ll look at the shoes. The ones who have done all this before. I’ll be reminded of Annie, and the other Mocha Club members and artists, who have walked these steps. Literally walked in these shoes. And made a way for me.

Two Annies. Two shoes. One continent. One mission.

To glorify God by loving His people.

How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion [Capetown!], “Your God reigns!” -Isaiah 52:7

1. posted on May 27, 2009 at 5:26 AM  |  reply

Good stuff Annie. I pray that God shows you a part of HIs heart that can only be seen from Capetown.

2. posted on May 27, 2009 at 6:59 AM  |  reply

This is an absolutely beautiful post.
    I pray that God will in fact, “do His thing”.
    Have fun!

3. posted on May 27, 2009 at 7:42 AM  |  reply

i LOVE this. and i LOVE the 2 annies. and i LOVE what God IS gonna do. so privileged to walk next to these shoes!!

4. posted on May 27, 2009 at 8:37 AM  |  reply

I really love this post!

5. posted on May 27, 2009 at 9:10 AM  |  reply

You know, Author Annie, there’s the makings of a really good book here. I’m just sayin’.

6. caren
    posted on May 27, 2009 at 9:59 AM  |  reply

I like it Annie! I like it a lot!! Glad you’re looking forward to the trip! Can’t wait to hear! I love you!
    and I loved the “know it in my knower” line! Cracked me up!!

7. posted on May 27, 2009 at 12:16 PM  |  reply

That’s lovely, thanks for sharing. I’m sure you’ll have an amazing time and God will show you fantastic things on this trip. Can’t wait to hear all about it!

8. posted on May 27, 2009 at 12:41 PM  |  reply

I also loved the “I know it in my knower” line. Only you…

Just said a prayer for a safe trip. Drink lots of water, walk around on the plane often, blah, blah, blah.

I’m looking forward to reading about your time in Capetown. I know you’ll be such a blessing to everyone on the trip.

9. Laurie
    posted on May 27, 2009 at 1:40 PM  |  reply

Praying for you and the path that is set before you to walk on. I look forward to reading your blog on Mocha Club. You know how to mix the simple and funny with the deep and spiritual, and I’m so very thankful! No doubt God will work in and through you.

10. Valerie
    posted on May 27, 2009 at 6:45 PM  |  reply

“I love to hear my Lord spoken of, and wherever I have seen the print of His shoe in the earth, there have I coveted to put mine also.” – John Bunyan

11. posted on May 27, 2009 at 9:20 PM  |  reply

Excellent. My post today is a paragraph explaining why people should read this post.

🙂

Miss you!

12. posted on May 27, 2009 at 9:36 PM  |  reply

Beautiful! Having just arrived home from an amazing mission trip to Ireland, I can tell you that having no expectations is just fine. God will exceed them anyway. He has a plan and he will take you along for the ride. Praying!

13. Elaine Phillips
    posted on May 27, 2009 at 11:45 PM  |  reply

Annie, I read your post on Brad’s blog.

Thanks for sharing these thoughts, both of you. Several of my friends and relations live in Cape Town (e-mail me if you run into trouble and I’ll put you in touch with whoever is closest to you!:) and so your trip will be on my thought-radar.

Kingdom blessings wherever your shoed feet lead you, dear Annie.

Elaine

14. annieb
    posted on May 28, 2009 at 12:10 AM  |  reply

annie, this post is so special! deep, my friend…real deep. you have quite a gift for picking up on the symbolism on life…im thankful that youre my friend!

15. posted on May 28, 2009 at 2:54 AM  |  reply

Great post Annie. I think you’ve got your heart AND mind in the perfect place for this trip. I hope you have so much fun, and make so many memories! And then bring the stories back to us.

Enjoy yourself, you’ll be in my prayers.
    -J

16. posted on May 28, 2009 at 11:20 AM  |  reply

That is a beautiful post, Annie. A trip to Africa looms in my heart, and probably my life, and you express what I think might happen to me. Thank you.

17. posted on May 28, 2009 at 2:20 PM  |  reply

One day, I intend to go to Kenya. I would love to borrow those shoes.

18. posted on May 29, 2009 at 10:23 AM  |  reply

[…] going to (and may already have arrived in) Capetown, South Africa with Mocha Club. I love love love THIS POST on her blog entitled Annie’s […]

19. posted on May 30, 2009 at 4:40 PM  |  reply

Oooohhh. This is good writing, Annie. real good.

20. posted on Jun 03, 2009 at 12:59 PM  |  reply

Beautiful!

21. posted on Jul 08, 2009 at 5:44 PM  |  reply

I knew a little boy in Zambia who solemnly informed me (after a look at my filthy, flip-flop-clad feet), “Sister Harrison, [somehow, Alison just wasn’t in their vocabulary, but Harrison was no problem] when you come to Africa, the dirt that gets on your feet never comes off, no matter how hard to wash them. Wise, wise words.