International Justice Day.

on July 17, 2009 in Mocha Club with 12 comments by

ijdI love being a part of Mocha Club. But, there are some days that I’m uber-excited and lucky to work with Mocha Club. Like, way more than usual.

Today is one of those days.

Today is International Justice Day- where people around the world have the opportunity to look at the injustices of the world and actually discuss them. Maybe, somehow, taking a step towards making a difference.

And Mocha Club is about those conversations, and more importantly- those actions.

What does that video do to you? It makes me deeply sad that those words are real life for someone. I mean, clean water. CLEAN WATER?!? I start to roll my eyes if the water in the shower starts to lose its heat. But there are people who have No. Clean. Water.

Child Labor. AIDS. War. Debt. Sex Trafficking. It’s horrible.

And yet, at the same time, it makes me deeply grateful that Mocha Club considers this day one worth noting and bringing to the forefront of our minds. And I’m glad that these injustices aren’t invisible to us anymore- instead, they are a focus.

Today, Mocha Club launches a new website. And a new blog. And they have SO MUCH to say about international justice. Check it out.

What do YOU have to say? What does that make you want to say? I want to know. Leave a comment or write a blog post and link it in the comments. I would love to get a conversation going about what justice looks like to you and what we can do, here in the States, to be a part of bringing justice to the rest of the world. [And feel free to post the badge or the video- just link to mochaclub.org at some point too so all our conversations can have a home.]

Enjoy a glass of water today. Really enjoy it.

And have a great weekend.

1. posted on Jul 17, 2009 at 7:29 AM  |  reply

At the moment I’m really fired up about this amazing orphanage in India. It was set up by one pastor out there who had no funding, just a bible verse that told him to take care of the orphans in his community. My parent’s church is very involved, my Dad went out last year and the answers to prayer are amazing. I love that God helps us work at defeating injustices, like children not having enough food, when we ask him to. What a great day!

2. posted on Jul 17, 2009 at 10:12 AM  |  reply

I really like your thoughts here and your celebration of being able to be involved with Mocha Club. That’s so neat. I think it’s great how you challenged us to really enjoy our water and the other blessings we have. We take a lot for granted.

3. posted on Jul 17, 2009 at 11:29 AM  |  reply

I just finished reading Three Cups of Tea. I was mesmerized by this guy’s persistence in building schools in Pakistan – this ONE person did so much. I’m ONE person – what am I doing today?

4. Danielle
    posted on Jul 17, 2009 at 11:38 AM  |  reply

I L.O.V.E. THIS! Makes you re-arrange your thinking. You should pick up “The Hole In Our Gospel”. It’s had me crying for weeks. AWESOME STUFF!

5. posted on Jul 17, 2009 at 1:49 PM  |  reply

brilliant, as always, i love being able to say i am a part of MC.

6. Merideth Schoolcraft
    posted on Jul 17, 2009 at 2:52 PM  |  reply

The issues these people are dealing with are hard to wrap my mind around, to some extent. In some ways it seems too unreal. Probably because of all we have in this country. When I listened to the video, the first thing that strikes me is someone posing the question “what would you do if the only glass of water you got would kill you?”. I can not imagine having that be a reality. Water’s so important to someone’s hidration and nourishment,and it’s horrible to think that a glass of it in your home could kill you.
    I checked out MC’s website,and I’m amazed at some of the things I read. I’ve been to third world countries, so I’m not clueless about the concerns. But, some of the things going on in Africa,and the extent of the problems, sound like things you expect to see in movies. Not so much in reality. Reading how the kids suffer really saddens me.

7. posted on Jul 18, 2009 at 10:00 AM  |  reply

Can’t wait to meet you at She Speaks. Thank you for standing up against these issues. My brother has produced a movie on this very topic that you may be familiar with. It is such a powerful look into the life of sex trafficking. It’s unbelievable to know this is happening all around us.

8. posted on Jul 18, 2009 at 2:43 PM  |  reply

Oh I love this post – and I love thinking about international justice. For me, my heart especially beats for the inequalities, poverty and injustice in our very own backyards. Check out http://www.visionatlanta.org or http://www.brokenvoices.org (episode 3 – JUMP) to see more of what I’m talking about and what we’re doing! 🙂 I’m going over to check out Mocha Club now!

9. amy griffith
    posted on Jul 18, 2009 at 8:45 PM  |  reply

the book “good news about injustice” put out by the international justice mission IS AMAZING! folks should really read it! dateline or 20/20 followed the IJM into brothels in cambodia and nailed LOTS of american men who were receiving sexual acts for VERY LITTLE money from 6, 7 and 8 year olds. one of the men was a family practitioner in the states. seriously, that book will change your life!

10. Merideth Schoolcraft
    posted on Jul 19, 2009 at 8:50 PM  |  reply

OK, I have to just say that what Amy said about men receiving sexual acts from kids that young makes me sick. That’s horrible that it’s kids that young! My niece is 8,and I can not imagine her being subjected to that. So sad. I am curious about that book, though.

11. posted on Jul 20, 2009 at 3:11 PM  |  reply

There is so much to say, and so much we could be doing. I’m really proud to be a part of a church that takes Jesus’ words about “taking care of the least of these” seriously. I’ve written two posts about our mission to bring clean water to remote villages in Africa. You can check it out here:

and here:

Thanks for shining a light on this tough topic, Annie!

12. posted on Jul 21, 2009 at 2:01 PM  |  reply