SheSpeaks: Ze Recap 09

on August 3, 2009 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 15 comments by

Oh man there is such. pressure. to recap well. Let me tell you this first:  SheSpeaks is a Christian womens conference put on by Proverbs 31 for writers, speakers, bloggers, and women’s ministry workers. So that’s where I was.

The other pressure is to link to all my friends and make sure that you get to see their blogs cause they are cute and fun and wonderful ladies.

The pressure. It is stressing me out.

So I’m going to do the best job I can recapping and not link up to anyone yet- as I see great recap blogs, with super sassy pictures of me that are very informative, I’ll send you there. Obviously.

In honor of my dear friend [I wish] Julie Andrews, I’m going to tell you “a few of my favorite things”:

1. Raindrops on roses.

2. Whiskers on kittens.

Ok. I kid. But for realz. Here’s why SheSpeaks ruled this year:

1. My friends. Sophie and Melanie kept me in STITCHES the entire weekend. Having Shannon on the East Coast was a serious thrill. Making new friends and catching up with old bloggy-buddies was awesome. I am the biggest fan of communal living and retreat like situations. So having all these friends in the same hotel for a weekend was bliss for me. [I’m a simple gal. It doesn’t take much to please me.]

2. Meeting blog readers.I totally love putting faces with your names. We’re doing that with YouBlogs, but it’s a whole different thing to get to hug. I met Beth, a reader and one of the people who prayed for me while I wrote my book. Also Mary, Sarah, Victoria. It was just awesome. Because it’s a conference full of bloggers, it’s not weird to meet people who read your blog- bloggers read blogs. But none the less. I love you guys so much, you blogmies, so to see you live, and hug your neck, just makes me happy in my soul.

3. Seeing and talking with Lysa TerKeurst. She’s a hero of mine- in ministry, in writing, in blogging, in life. She invests in my life over and over again and it is changing who I am. In a good way.

4. Learning some amazing writing stuff. With book #1 totally done-ski (still waiting on a publisher- pray it up!)  and book #2 (a children’s picture book) with my agent, it’s time to get rolling on #3. Mary DeMuth, whom I already LOVED, taught a class on writing  a proposal that totally re-energized me for book #3. There were a few classes that I just adored and I’m excited to implement what I learned into my writing.

And there is more. So much more. But forgive me as I take a few days to download the information into my mind. And my heart. Cause God’s doing somethin’ in there. And it’s good.

So, as the week goes on, I will continue to sit on my couch, watch Shark Week, and tell you new things I know thanks to SheSpeaks. Deal?

Oh, before I go…. something really cool called (in)courage is launching this week. I’m going to tell you more about it Wednesday, but you can read as some of my friends talk about it today!

Sarah Mae

The Nester

1. posted on Aug 03, 2009 at 2:43 AM  |  reply

I’d never heard of SheSpeaks but it sounds great!

2. posted on Aug 03, 2009 at 3:25 AM  |  reply

Sounds awesome! I’d never heard of SheSpeaks until you mentioned it last year. Maybe because it’s so far away?

Anyway, glad you had fun. 🙂

3. posted on Aug 03, 2009 at 4:13 AM  |  reply

I’m wondering how She Speaks compares to Mt. Hermon? You’re one of the few I know who’s been to both. I’ve got roots as deep as the redwoods at Mt. Hermon, but I have a Proverbs 31 heart and would love to go to She Speaks some time. How are they different (besides being on opposite sides of the country and the obvious all-girl thing)? Glad you had a great time. I’ll enjoy it vicariously through your updates.

Mary

4. posted on Aug 03, 2009 at 4:37 AM  |  reply

Like I told you, Annie, this is one of few times in my life I wish I was a girl.

I believe more men’s conferences of this nature are not around because of medical insurance reasons. At any men’s overnight (and that’s only ONE night), someone’s going to the hospital and he may or may not be the only one with a broken bone or dislocated shoulder. I feel like I’m playing Russian roulette every time I go to one. “Am I going to be the one who shatters his femur?” I think. From kickball to musical chairs, someone always gets dominated. So a whole weekend of dudes at a conference? Too risky.

Of course, this comment is bait for someone to tell me of a conference for writing dudes. I haven’t injured someone for a long time and I need another opportunity!

Super glad the conference rocked, Annie!

5. Annie
    posted on Aug 03, 2009 at 9:21 AM  |  reply

Mary,
    There are a few differences between SheSpeaks and Mt. Hermon.

– Obviously, SheSpeaks is girly. More things tailored to just girls- giveaways, books,etc.

– SheSpeaks (as of 2009) has MUCH better blogging classes.

– Mt. Hermon offers MUCH more variety in classes.

– Though they are both Christian, SheSpeaks is more like a writers conference during the day and a women’s retreat at night- with worship and a speaker and prayer time.

– Mt. Hermon is more professionally focused and business-y.

– I think I’d say it like this- Mt. Hermon focuses on the writer that is a Christian. SheSpeaks focuses on the Christian that is a writer/speaker/blogger/etc. Does that make sense?

I really like them both. They meet different needs. I think if you can attend them both, you are best off.

And, obviously, if you live in California, it would be cheaper to go to Mt. Hermon and if you live on the East Coast it would probably be cheaper to go to SheSpeaks.

Hope that answers your question!

-Annie

6. posted on Aug 03, 2009 at 9:54 AM  |  reply

Glad you had a great time. Heard about the bad Mexican food. Too funny! Your book projects sound interesting. I’ll pray with you about that. Also, the (in)courage thing has me intrigued. My Sunday School class has been called the inCourager’s for years. Too funny!

7. posted on Aug 03, 2009 at 1:09 PM  |  reply

much love…Annie Blogs…much love.

8. posted on Aug 03, 2009 at 4:35 PM  |  reply

So glad to see you a million times and so sad to not get to talk! Apparently we hang with the same crew (‘cept for, you know, Melanie and Sophie who you hung with and I leeched onto at lunch one day). I’m going to take a week or 5 to process it all and I completely agree about the pressure of a wrap up post! It’s worse than cousin-as-bridesmaid pressure!

9. posted on Aug 03, 2009 at 4:44 PM  |  reply

It was fun watching the super bloggers in action. : ) Love your blog!

Suzie Eller
    Proverbs 31 Ministries

10. posted on Aug 03, 2009 at 9:23 PM  |  reply

Meeting you in real life changes all the ways I read you. I love that I can hear your voice in these words!! I love that I heard your voice in real life. You are fantastic. So glad we met. Can’t wait to meet again.

11. posted on Aug 03, 2009 at 11:40 PM  |  reply

I. am. undone. She Speaks was AWESOME! Why, oh, why did I not go with you last year? I think I need years to process this past weekend. But it’s all marinating in there somewhere. It was SO good to see you–and stuff my face with Southern food with you 🙂

12. posted on Aug 03, 2009 at 11:59 PM  |  reply

ok, girl – getting ready to send all my friends your way. Is there a specific post you want me to link them to or just your home page? Hmm….home page it is. 🙂

13. posted on Aug 05, 2009 at 9:43 AM  |  reply

I also saw on Twitter and read on BooMama that you had a BoBiscuit. It changed your life, didn’t it? Oh, how I wish we had Bojangles here!!

14. posted on Aug 06, 2009 at 3:12 PM  |  reply

Fun-ness! I’m glad the proposal class blessed and energized you! I feel like I’ve finally made Rock Star Status, being mentioned here!

15. posted on Aug 06, 2009 at 8:35 PM  |  reply

Loved seeing you this weekend. It was such a thrill seeing your sweet face when you came into our session Saturday afternoon. 🙂