Eye have a confession.

on August 14, 2009 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 23 comments by

I’m blind as a bat without my contacts or glasses.

So. I wear my contacts all the time.

Like…. ALL. THE. TIME.

It’s bad. Real bad.

Sometimes I wake up in the morning, after having slept for WEEKS in the same pair of contacts, and my eyes will hardly open. They are sort of frozen closed and once I peel them open with my eye muscles, I can’t blink.

Yeah. Not good, y’all.

And for an undisclosed amount of time, I have been wearing the last pair of contacts I own. So yesterday, I made a big girl decision and decided to go to the eye doctor here in Nashville.

As I sat in the dark-ish room, waiting on Dr. James to enter, I mustered all my confessing courage. I had to tell her. The moment she walked in the door, I blurted out:

“Hi Dr. James I know we aren’t friends yet but I wear my contacts for too long and I’m afraid that my eyes are going to fall out of my head and I’m really sorry but please tell me that I haven’t caused permanently damaged…”

[gasp of air]

“…and please give me some rules and some contacts that I can’t sleep in because I’ve kept this secret and I need to learn to obey the eye doctor.”

And when I was finished with my filibuster, Dr. James introduced herself. And laughed at me.

It happens.

She was awesome. She showed me a DIS.GUST.ING picture of what could happen to my eyes if I continue to act in such a manner.

And then she kindly offered me contact lenses that will fight back a little bit. She gave me some “rules” to follow as well. [By the way, it is UBER impressive to be 29 years old and need the doctor to give you a list of rules.]

I’m not going to get all gushy about the doctor, though I think she earned a spot as a future bridesmaid someday, but I will say that I can see better right now than I have been able to see in YEARS. Trust me, I have read aloud every sign I have seen on the road. “Look, that says BROADWAY. Look, that says 1830. 4810.” My friend Lyndsay said, “She got new contacts and turned binary.”

That’s funny.

There’s some spiritual lesson in the idea of confessing your sins and then seeing clearly for the first time, but in all honesty, I’m outta time. I gotta go pack. I’m headed to Chicago for a fun weekend getaway with the lay-deez.

Y’all have a good weekend. And don’t sleep in your contacts too much.

[Seriously. I mean it. On both accounts.]

1. Southern Gal
    posted on Aug 14, 2009 at 6:53 AM  |  reply

Annie! Take care of those eyes. You only get one set!

Since we hit mid-forties, my husband and I are beginning to have eye troubles. We’re good together though because I can see close up and he can see far away. I always point to the road signs and ask him what they say while he hands me books and asks me to read to him. Ah, what a couple!

Have fun in Chicago, you lucky dog.
    (I don’t believe in luck, but it fits in this sentence.)

2. posted on Aug 14, 2009 at 7:43 AM  |  reply

Great. So when I go to the eye doctor next month I’m supposed to be a good girl and actually fess up that I wear my contacts for waayyyy too long. Is it bad that I’ve worn the same pair of contacts since April or May (and I’ve only taken them out twice)? Was the picture of the eyes really bad? Maybe the picture would beat me into submission.

3. Merideth Schoolcraft
    posted on Aug 14, 2009 at 7:57 AM  |  reply

Annie,

You crack me up! I’m glad you learned your lesson, and felt better after your confession to the eye doctor. And 29 is not too old to need to be told what to do. I’m 33 and I need that sometimes.
    Glad your new contacts make you see so well. Imagine how well you’ll see in heaven someday! I personally can’t wait for that!
    Have fun in Chicago. I have to tell you I’m jealous, though. Now, be a good little girl, and make sure you don’t sleep in your contacts anymore.

4. posted on Aug 14, 2009 at 8:00 AM  |  reply

Seriously, I think we are the same person.
    I USED to wear my contacts 24/7 for months and months (ew.) and learned the error of my ways when my eye doc told me that I was suffocating my eyes. Literally. My eyes were “growing” more and more blood vessels to bring in more O2 b/c the contacts were smothering them.
    Niiiiice.
    So now I wear them when awake and not when asleep. And if I’m staying home, I wear my glasses. I HATE my glasses, so I’m not wearing them out of the house, and I’m also so blind that going without either is a danger to society.
    I’ve learned to obey the eye doc. Glad you did, too.

5. Kim
    posted on Aug 14, 2009 at 8:18 AM  |  reply

Annie
    I am so glad to hear that you are no longer wearing your contacts all the time
    I am going to “put on” my momma hat and tell you that I have 2 friends (one of which is my BIL) that totally ruined their eyes because of contacts
    My BIL could not wear contacts for 10 YRS because of the damage he did to his eyes 🙁
    So glad you are Ok
    You are just too precious!!!
    Much love
    Kim

6. posted on Aug 14, 2009 at 8:33 AM  |  reply

Okay, so, as long as we’re confessing about contacts…

I have a pair of two-week disposables on my eyeballs right now. They’ve been in my eyes for more than a year…straight…overnight and all. I took them out one time at SheSpeaks because they got blurry from crying. I took them out, rinsed them off, and put them back in.

I know it’s been more than a year, because I put them on for the first time right before I went down on bedrest in June 2008.

And before this pair? I had a different pair of two-week disposables that I had worn for nine months…straight…overnight and all.

And before that?

Well, let’s just say I started this terrible unhealthy habit in college when I was looking for ANY way to shave time off my morning routine. Obviously, if I slept in my contacts, then I wouldn’t have to put them in as part of my morning routine. So, in they stayed…

*eyebrows furled*

7. posted on Aug 14, 2009 at 8:35 AM  |  reply

I’d like to say I’m a better example because I’m wiser but it’s just because I’m older. (Go on, Annie; raise your hand if you’re sick of me talking about how old I am. I’m sick of me.) I used to sleep in my contacts, too, but about a year ago, I was going through contacts like Doritos. And when I woke up it felt like actual Doritos were in my eyes. I did NOT ‘fess up, I just asked my doctor why my contacts didn’t last as long anymore and he said–gasp–it was because my eyes were aging and producing less moisture. How dare they?! Good for you for having rules and boundaries. I do better with both of those.

I’ve never been to Chicago but if I were there I’d like to see the Magnificent Mile and eat a Chicago hot dog and some Chicago-style pizza. It’s always about the food with me.

8. posted on Aug 14, 2009 at 9:58 AM  |  reply

I had to be given rules too. Sometimes I even follow them. I was 30. So you aren’t the only one!

9. posted on Aug 14, 2009 at 1:27 PM  |  reply

Annie – congrats on making it out to the eye doctor. We know it’s hard, but don’t let your fear keep you from getting your eyes checked; it’s so important!

10. posted on Aug 14, 2009 at 2:27 PM  |  reply

So, I lived with the daughter of an optometrist and my best friend married one. But I still sleep in my disposables even though I’ve heard the stories. But I do change them once a month. Even though one is only a two-week contact. But I think most of us have been there.

11. posted on Aug 14, 2009 at 3:27 PM  |  reply

[…] Annie Blogs » Blog Archive » Eye have a confession. […]

12. posted on Aug 14, 2009 at 8:22 PM  |  reply

LASIK was worth every penny for me!

13. posted on Aug 14, 2009 at 8:35 PM  |  reply

This made me laugh! My husband does it too! I’ll have to make him read you post!

14. posted on Aug 15, 2009 at 10:42 AM  |  reply

Annie, we’ve only talked once or twice, but I hope you have a great time in my city this weekend. Beware: It’s the Air & Water Show this weekend = lots of mostly naked people + lots of beer + summer heat = consider your options carefully. There’s lots of other things to do here besides join the masses, so I hope it goes well for you. (Update when you get to Nashvegas? Thanks!)

15. Pat Layton
    posted on Aug 15, 2009 at 10:37 PM  |  reply

Cute, Cute Blog!!
    Have fun in the Windy City!

16. posted on Aug 16, 2009 at 4:32 PM  |  reply

This post made me laugh… I can so relate. I don’t wear contacts but my glasses are the first thing I reach for in the mornings and last thing to come off at night.

17. posted on Aug 16, 2009 at 9:58 PM  |  reply

There’s no shame in undying devotion to an eye doctor. I’ve been seeing mine since I was 6. I’m so un-grownup on this point that my mom calls to make me an appointment every year at Christmas.

Glad Dr. James scared you straight!

18. posted on Aug 17, 2009 at 12:21 PM  |  reply

I too sleep in my contacts. My eye doctor once told me that sleeping in contacts is, in effect, creating ‘petrie dishes of blinding bacteria’ on your eyeballs at night. That scared me straight… for awhile.

19. posted on Aug 18, 2009 at 8:36 PM  |  reply

I must say, I’m glad you wear contacts! I can’t bring myself to do it so I’m stuck with the ole’ glasses. I wanted to comment on your “gushy” feelings for the doc though. After not going to “that certain doctor” that women go to for years (because I HATE it!), I finally went a few months ago and, well, felt all those gushy feelings myself. I would pay the full fees out of my own pocket if I had to! I get your feelings on that one (by the way–just sent to a new eye doc and I feel the same way about him too!)

20. posted on Aug 19, 2009 at 5:50 AM  |  reply

I just got caught up on your blog and might I say three things:

1. I am super proud of you going to your doctor and confessing your eye sins. That takes big girl courage indeed. I might have been tempted to say, “Well, every now and then I accidentally…”

Liar, liar pants on fire!

2. I might have just mentioned this but it is worth stating again… I love your honesty.

3. You were honest. I am honestly inspired.

And your Julie/ Julia post… I get it. If there was ever a girl to totally get what you are feeling, it’s me. That’s why I love investing in you. I promised God if I ever got that envelope, that call, that yes… I would help those coming behind me.

You are a beautiful, witty, and totally worthy writer. Who is honest. Smiles.

21. Laura
    posted on Aug 19, 2009 at 9:08 AM  |  reply

Hello, Annie! I have been reading for awhile now, but have never commented. I am delurking to tell you that I have been wearing the same pair of contacts since January!! And,yes, I have been sleeping in them…not every night, but most nights. There! I’ve said it! 🙂 Now I guess, like you, I should confess to my eye doctor. Keep up the good writing!

22. posted on Aug 19, 2009 at 3:23 PM  |  reply

Ohhh, I’m a contact sleeper too. I’m supposed to toss mine after two weeks. I’ve been wearing this pair for probably 6, but the pair before these? Oh, probably a year. Mhm. I expect a good verbal thrashing next time I’m at the eye doctor. Which is why I’m never going back. 🙂

23. posted on Aug 31, 2009 at 9:26 PM  |  reply

years ago i would wear my contacts 9-10 months without taking them out at all.. yikes.. and then one year i was out west on a ski trip and got an eye infection b/c of it and had to wear patches on my eyes the entire vacation!!! argh!!!
    now? no worries.. lasik surgery changed my life. worth EVERY cent and more!