The post beach blur.

on September 8, 2009 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 25 comments by

That’s what I feel like I am in currently.

A blur.

I love vacationing. I don’t love when I fill my post-vacation with hours upon hours of catch-up work. So it’s 9:04am and I’m already on my second chai, I’ve written a few hundred words, and I’ve sat in my pastor’s office and cried my eyes out.

Amen.

The beach ruled. It was relaxing and I read a ton and I wrote an interesting “did I really just say that?” article about being single. I’ll let you know if the editor publishes it or sends me to counseling. Or both. That wouldn’t be so bad.

Speaking of editors publishing me, I had another article in Susie Mag this month. It’s about a topic very near and dear to my heart: the importance of Puppy Chow at spend the night parties.

I am, if nothing else, a hard hitting journalist.

I have a few more articles coming out in Susie Mag over the next few months, so why don’t you just subscribe? Especially if you have a teen/tween daughter in your house, I think they will totally love it. Annie article or no Annie article. My cousin Julianne reads it and loves it- right, Julianne?

Speaking of articles, my friend Shannon wrote an AWESOME article for SheSeeks. Go check it out.

Weren’t we talking about the beach? I’m so easily distracted by…. well…. everything.

Anyways, I finished Andrew Peterson’s book North! Or Be Eaten and let me tell you, if you aren’t already hooked on this series, can I encourage you to get hooked and quick? Cause I need some more people to discuss this with. (Here’s the link to his first book- On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness. So grab that one, read it, then get North! Or Be Eaten. Then let’s talk. For real.)

I also managed to avoid receiving a severe sunburn. Sure, it meant I lathered in 45 SPF and only stayed out in the sun from about 9:30am-11:45am, but I’m telling you- nothing hurts like driving 9 hours back to Nashville with burned extremities. I seriously should have been born with red hair- I am that fair-skinned. I would have been irresistible to the fellas in the Middle Ages.

We relaxed, read books and magazines, watched football…. and goodness gracious, I think us Georgia Bulldog fans have a tough season ahead. Don’t get me started. I’m not going to turn into one of those football-whiny-bad-team-I’m-so-angry-I-hate-the-NFL-draft-because-it-ruined-my-life-or-at-least-my-2009-football-season kind of blogger.

But I could. Oh how I could whine.

Weren’t we discussing the beach?

So anyways, I forgot to take any pictures, but it was a beautiful experience. Seven of us ladies went, but then a handful of our Nash-buds were in the same general location, so we hung with them some too.

And I slept late every day. Without shame.

So, there’s my holiday weekend. Now back to the tough grind of doing my dream job.

A few questions:

1. How was your weekend?

2. What books are you reading right now that I should totally check out from the library?

3. Uh…. anything else you want to say to me? Cause I’ll just be sitting here writing on a deadline for the next zillion hours, so any distractions are totally welcome. πŸ™‚

1. Craigory Dunn
    posted on Sep 08, 2009 at 10:57 AM  |  reply

I’m confused… your Twitter and/or Facebook (they all run together) says to not distract you… but your blog says that distractions are welcome. You are a world of contradictions my friend! πŸ˜‰

Hope you had a good vaca!

2. posted on Sep 08, 2009 at 11:13 AM  |  reply

Um, I’m reading Julie and Julia and love it, but I know you already read that one. πŸ™‚ I read The Wednesday Sisters a few weeks ago, and absolutely loved it. It was exactly what I needed after drowning myself in The Time Traveler’s Wife. πŸ™‚ Have fun on vacay!

3. posted on Sep 08, 2009 at 11:34 AM  |  reply

I read a book called The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society over the summer and adored it. It was my favourite new find this year – I reviewed some of my books here – http://leavesinthespring.blogspot.com/2009/08/book-book-book.html – if you want more detailed recommendations!

4. posted on Sep 08, 2009 at 2:09 PM  |  reply

I’m at my second “I work from home but can’t concentrate there” location of the day. So let me distract myself answering your questions… After reading and seeing “Julie and Julia” (by the way, laughed & cried my way through the movie, which I thought superior to the book), Julia Child’s “My Life in France” is at the top of my to-read list. Unfortunately, it’s out of the library right now. I’m reading “A Year of Living Biblically” which is okay, not amazing, but interesting. I’m definitely going to read the Peterson books you’ve recommended.

Have you read “Love Walked In” and “Belong to Me” by Marisa De Los Santos? If not, you definitely should. They’re kind of slow to start, then you end up devouring them on a Saturday night with tears streaming down your face. Or maybe that’s just me.

5. posted on Sep 08, 2009 at 2:20 PM  |  reply

Me again. I forgot something else I meant to recommend. A wonderful British mini-series called North & South. Netflix it. Immediately. (you can watch on Netflix demand, but you didn’t hear that from me).

6. Julianne
    posted on Sep 08, 2009 at 2:32 PM  |  reply

I am so excited to be mentioned in the famous annieblogs. and Yes I LOVE Susie!

7. posted on Sep 08, 2009 at 3:18 PM  |  reply

I feel like everything is a blur today as well…no energy! But I had a decent weekend atleast! I am reading Peace Child and it is rocking my life. It is about a missionary family that goes to a Pacific Island and ministers to people that regard Judas’ betrayal higher than Jesus’ sacrifice. It is really interesting.
    Hope you’re doing well!

8. Lindsey
    posted on Sep 08, 2009 at 3:57 PM  |  reply

-My weekend was full of Gator football, so I can’t complain. Annie, one of the few times I WANTED your Bulldogs to win, they didn’t. πŸ™ So sad.

-Read “What is the What” by Dave Eggars. I’m in the middle of it right now. It’s sad. But good. Very, very good.

-Is there someway we can read the puppy chow article on-line? Because girl, I love me some puppy chow.

9. posted on Sep 08, 2009 at 4:20 PM  |  reply

Oh I loved The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society! Such a great book!

And I loved your post — especially the part about our Dawgs. Amen sister!

10. posted on Sep 08, 2009 at 5:34 PM  |  reply

Just finished “Ender’s Game” and loved it. I’m not usually the sci-fi type, but I think this one had some underlying statements about society that made it “simply irresistible.” I would love to know what other books you have read (and enjoyed) recently. I’m always looking for a good read…

11. posted on Sep 08, 2009 at 5:59 PM  |  reply

Just finished “Just Do Something” by Kevin DeYoung. 2 enthusiastic thumbs up!

12. posted on Sep 08, 2009 at 7:12 PM  |  reply

Okay, first off, let’s address the fact that you are being published in Susie Mag. Like, Susie Schellenberger, closest-celebrity-to-Point-of-Grace in my junior high years.

Long live Brio.

Next, let’s talk about the fact that I am currently reading 2 books: “On Writing” by Stephen King (seriously, Annie Freaking Downs, you would love this book – the first Stephen King book I’ve ever read), and in other news, “Eclipse” by Stephenie Meyer. Yeah, like book 3 in the Twilight series. Whatevs – I’m totally into these books.

Should I round it out with some edifying Christian literature?

Sorry, I’ve got nothing.

Stephen King and vampires.

Right now, I am eating brie that I’m pretty sure has gone bad. Needed to tell someone.

13. Southern Gal
    posted on Sep 08, 2009 at 7:20 PM  |  reply

Well, because of you, I’m reading Christy again for about the 10th time. I really would love to read something new. I just hate to waste time reading something I’m not going to like. I’ll have to try the Peterson books.

I miss the beach. Didn’t get there this year. Boo. Hoo.

Football’s always bad around these parts, but that doesn’t stop us from rooting for that team or whining when they lose. Lots of whining here during the fall.

14. kathleen
    posted on Sep 08, 2009 at 7:29 PM  |  reply

I just finished The Invisible Wall by Harry Bernstein…written when he was 93. A good read.

15. posted on Sep 08, 2009 at 9:23 PM  |  reply

Fab weekend, reading Summer of Light by Dale Cramer and love it.

16. posted on Sep 08, 2009 at 11:08 PM  |  reply

Add me to the list of bloggers making her way through Julie and Julia. I usually try not to see movies until I’ve read the book (and then want to strangle someone because I’m always so disappointed) but this was the exception. At least I did read THE BLOG before I saw the movie. That counts, right?

17. posted on Sep 09, 2009 at 5:21 AM  |  reply

I’m reading any book I can get my hands on by Barbara Delinksy. Love her. Good clean stories. When I’m not reading, I’ve been watching a lot of movies with my hubby….and of course, now that SEC football has returned, life is even better.

Hotty Toddy. All the way from Guam.

18. posted on Sep 09, 2009 at 11:02 AM  |  reply

I just started reading Peace Like a River by Leif Enger because it’s the favorite book of more than one of my friends. I have a long list of “wanna reads.”

LOVE Andrew Peterson’s music. Never read his books. Since I’m a great admirer of his lyrics, I should probably look for those books.

I’m guessing you’ve read Same Kind of Different As Me? I certainly hope so, because it’s on the required reading list for all of my friends (Yes, I have a list even if it’s only in my head.) and I would like for us to be friends.

Didn’t touch even a grain of beach sand this summer or last. I think that’s part of what’s been wrong with me lately.

19. Mandy Mann
    posted on Sep 09, 2009 at 4:54 PM  |  reply

hi friend. SO glad you got to see the water and rest with friends….love your blogs and how you write. We were at the beach with the MAnn fam too…….loved the weather..hated the bulldogs loosing. ….

20. posted on Sep 09, 2009 at 7:50 PM  |  reply

You are so darling…yep I’m so much older than you or I wouldn’t be telling people ho darling they are…but you are just darling. πŸ™‚

21. posted on Sep 09, 2009 at 10:14 PM  |  reply

I totally agree about the whole zoned out experience after Va-cay. I do it after blog overload, too. I overloaded last week and am now in some sort of zombie state. I have to return to my blog. Both readers will be so upset if I don’t.
    Anywho. I am not reading anything right now b/c my brain is mush. But I’m working on that. I picked up a deep and thrilling John Grisham fiction (something about Italian football) at the merchandise overstock store in town. Yep. That’s right. It was $3 and I’m in a football mood.
    And I’m going to be doing a bit of whining, too, because I’m an Auburn girl. Danggit.
    Hope your deadline was met and now you are dancing on some finished articles!

22. posted on Sep 10, 2009 at 12:08 AM  |  reply

Annie! I already ordered On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness because of your recommendation the other day and IT ALREADY ARRIVED! Will be ready to discuss soon! I also ordered Donald MIller’s new book–love his writing, and I am reading The Good and Beautiful God, and liking it very much. Reading it more to see if I want to use it as a teaching tool, so trying to evaluate it as I read.

23. Crystal
    posted on Sep 10, 2009 at 11:36 AM  |  reply

I would love to read your article on Singleness. Hope it gets published…

24. posted on Sep 10, 2009 at 5:39 PM  |  reply

Re: comment above by crystal.. I would too.

25. posted on Sep 12, 2009 at 8:56 PM  |  reply

I’ve been a long-time reader, delighted by your what you have to say… though I don’t think I’ve ever said anything back! But I just finished a WONDERFUL book – Safely Home, by Randy Alcorn. It’s fiction, but it was an eye-opening account of the persecuted church. And I picked up Little Women again for the umpteenth time a few weeks ago, and wow. Still wonderful.