Old numbers.

on September 23, 2009 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 16 comments by

You may remember my sweet friends Jason and Candace. They got married about a year ago and it was an amazingly awesome day.

I got a call Saturday afternoon. Jason’s mom had been killed in a car accident.

Shock. Heartache. Loss. Sadness. All in one swirl of minutes and conversations.

And suddenly my life is full of old numbers. After talking to Candace, I found myself running through the rolodex in my mind of friends from college that love the Couch family and would want to know.

So strange to realized that the same numbers on my speed dial in college couldn’t even be found on Anita the iPhone.

The numbers I had dialed on a daily basis were now having to be located and called for the first time in, oh I don’t know, years maybe. Months for sure.

The friends that I needed to speak to, I couldn’t find. We don’t live next door anymore. We don’t attend the same church. Work at the same campus ministry. Carpool on the same vacations. Sit in the same bleachers. Pray in the same chapel. Eat at the same restaurant.

In some cases, we don’t even live in the same country anymore. [Shout out to the Griffiths, whom we all wish were here this week.]

We aren’t the group we used to be. Until moments like these.

Moments that bring those old numbers back. That get fingers typing and emails flying through the internet postal system. Moments that remind us that maybe we aren’t so far apart after all. That though we’ve seen each other at weddings and parties over the years, this is different; this time, we need each other.

Moments when we are broken. Not for ourselves, but for them. For the boys who lost their mama too soon. For the husband who lost his wife. For the current, and future, grandkids and spouses who will never know the woman who built this family. She was wonderful. I’m glad I got to know her. Really glad.

Ye old Toyota Camry points south again today. Headed to the lowest parts of Georgia to sit on a row with the leading characters from “Annie’s Life: 1998-2002.” To stand by the best friend who has lost her mother-in-law. To hug Jason and Justin, my dear friends, who have lost their mom. To weep with those who weep. To mourn with those who mourn. To pray without ceasing for the spirit of God to be the Comforter that Jesus promised. Just to all be together. For them.

I saved all those lost and old numbers

in hopes of not needing them

for moments like this

ever again.

1. Kalen
    posted on Sep 23, 2009 at 5:09 AM  |  reply

You are a true friend. Stay safe!

2. caren
    posted on Sep 23, 2009 at 6:28 AM  |  reply

Well I’m crying again. Why don’t we still work at the same campus ministry, sit in the same bleachers, and hang out at Jittery’s again? I’m just needing a reminder. My heart is breaking that I can’t be in the “you know what” camry right now. Weeping, and loving with you from afar today.
    love you!

3. ali
    posted on Sep 23, 2009 at 6:33 AM  |  reply

Huge hug and lots of prayers.

4. Southern Gal
    posted on Sep 23, 2009 at 7:44 AM  |  reply

Praying for you and your friends.

5. shireen eldirdge
    posted on Sep 23, 2009 at 7:50 AM  |  reply

Made me cry…thanks. No, really, thanks. Because I like to be reminded of how great those times were and how precious the friendships that were cultivated at all those prayer meetings, late night study sessions at Jittery’s, and even all our drive bys. Love you Annie!!!

6. Merideth Schoolcraft
    posted on Sep 23, 2009 at 7:51 AM  |  reply

Crying for the family again. As the tears come down I think about the Wesley bunch, and wishing with you we could all be there together for Jason and Candace and the rest of the family. Hating that I can’t just drive myself down to Waycross(one of those moments where I can’t stand the limitations I have) and hug Jason and Candace in person. I never had the privilage of meeting Mrs. Couch, but I so wish I had. I feel like I knew her because of all Jason,and other friends, have shared with me about her over the years and I know she was a great lady. Please drive safe, and pass my condolences to the family for me! Love ya.

7. posted on Sep 23, 2009 at 8:32 AM  |  reply

Oh, girl. I’m so sorry. I’m sorry for your friends. I can’t imagine such a sudden loss.
    Be safe driving, hug your peeps extra tight, and remember Who has this whole crazy world in the palm of His hand. He is in the happy times, and He is extra available in the sad times. May His hands wrap a little tighter around your friends and their family.
    Love you!

8. Merideth Schoolcraft
    posted on Sep 23, 2009 at 9:25 AM  |  reply

Right there with Shireen’s comment! Miss those times, and tresure the relationships!

9. posted on Sep 23, 2009 at 9:55 AM  |  reply

I’m so sorry, Annie. I’ll be praying for you and your friends…

10. posted on Sep 23, 2009 at 11:40 AM  |  reply

Oh Annie, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your friends. Sadly, I know exactly what you’re talking about – I’ve lost 2 friends in the past 18 months and, while both were tragedies of the worse kind, at the same time, they reignited old friendships and drew the circles of friends I’d had in high school and college that had slowly faded back into tight, focused groups. I would give anything in the world to have Ashley and Amy (my dear dear friends) back on earth with me, but I will always remember the reconnections (and in some cases new connections) that came about when they went Home. Take care, dear friend.

11. posted on Sep 23, 2009 at 1:37 PM  |  reply

it is a good family that is always there. it stretches so far beyond the “1998-2002” years or to people that we never met and don’t even know. it is a connection you can’t describe to anyone who isn’t connected to that place that God anointed. thank you annie for summing it up so beautifully. i hope the couch family feels the prayers of all those years of people that love them.

12. posted on Sep 23, 2009 at 4:08 PM  |  reply

I’m so sorry for your friends’ loss. I know they must appreciate your support and your love.

One of the things that still stands out to me from my mother-in-law’s funeral are the sweet friends who traveled several hours to stand beside us, hug us and love on us. Those old numbers are important, no matter how old and out of date they get.

13. Breanna
    posted on Sep 23, 2009 at 7:31 PM  |  reply

What a beautiful post. Jason and Candace are lucky to have you as a friend. Will be praying.

14. posted on Sep 23, 2009 at 10:50 PM  |  reply

I’m so sorry, I’ll be praying for them.

15. Barbalicious
    posted on Sep 24, 2009 at 2:38 PM  |  reply

I’m crying too!! I can’t believe this. Praying and mourning with y’all too. Love you Anya!

16. posted on Sep 24, 2009 at 9:13 PM  |  reply

this should be an article. somehow. do it.