Seeing Is Believing: A New Prayer Plan Part 2

on September 30, 2009 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 16 comments by

It’s just too good to not use again: “The Attempt Of One Christian To Actually Remember To Pray Daily For The People And Things That Are Important To Her.“

So here is mi parto dos de prayer.

[I don’t know Spanish.]

(Why I’m doing this is HERE, and Part 1 is HERE, just in case.)

Part Two: Prayer Coupons

That’s the most inaccurate title in the world. But I’m using a coupon holder, so it feels kinda right. But it’s really not.

And this part of the prayer plan is brought to you by my friend Katie. We had fajitas and prayer time at her house Saturday night, about 20 girls, and while we sat together [literally in the same chair], I interviewed her about her prayer life. You know, one of those ask someone wiser moments. And this is her idea that I’ve stolen and claimed as my own decided to use as well.

All I’m doing is separating my prayers into categories:

• Family
  • Friends
  • Future
  • Nashville / community
  • World

And each of these categories has a different colored card. So I’ve written one card for each day in each color. Give or take. Listen. No reason to get all rules-y and legalistic. So EVERY DAY might not have EVERY COLOR. No biggie. I’m just trying this to see if it works. So I bought a coupon holder and stack of multi-colored index cards.

IMG_0841

Inside the coupon holder, I’ve labeled the tabs each day of the week. You can kinda see the white in there. And then on each card, I wrote what I’m praying for. Then I’m going to put the first set of cards behind the “Monday” tab, etc.

Nope, not showing you.

But I’ll give you an example.

For Nashville /community, on Tuesdays I am praying for my small group. So I pulled out one green card (the Nashville / community color) and I wrote:

NFG [which stands for neighborhood fellowship group, just FYI]

Then I listed each member in our group on the card. So that every Tuesday, I will be SURE to pray for them. Not that I can’t pray other days, but that is guaranteed.

And I’m going to keep notes on the card- when a scripture comes to mind, when a prayer is answered, etc. And after I pray on Tuesday, I’ll put it back in the Tuesday tab. Easy, right?

It will pretty much stay consistent every week. Like every Monday, I’ll pray for the same things:

• Family: My Dad
  • Friends: Brandon, Molly, and Webb
  • Future: My agent and her communication on my behalf
  • Nashville / Community: The creative community in our town
  • World: President Obama

Make sense? And like I said- no legalism here. If I decide I want to pray for Dad on Monday and then again on Thursday, I can move the card or pretty much just do whatever I want. These coupons are not the boss of me.

So there you go.

I am totally digging the comments you guys are leaving- I love some of these ideas. So feel free to leave more today or go back through yesterday’s comments and see if any of those ideas work better for you.

Here’s to a Fall of answered prayers!

Like Melanie quoted at the All Access blog

“Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever!”

–Ephesians 3:20

Tags:

1. posted on Sep 30, 2009 at 6:42 AM  |  reply

I like this!

2. posted on Sep 30, 2009 at 6:46 AM  |  reply

Oh, and I just saw your gorgeous picture on Jessica’s blog. Wishing I lived in Nashville again!

3. posted on Sep 30, 2009 at 8:05 AM  |  reply

I like this idea a lot, thanks for sharing it.

4. posted on Sep 30, 2009 at 8:20 AM  |  reply

For the organized challenged individual, this would work real well! That is until I, I mean the organized challenged, lost the coupon holder… 😛 Oh, I’m kidding (maybe) – I think it’s a good system, just follow the Spirits leading and this will be a season of answered prayers.

5. posted on Sep 30, 2009 at 8:38 AM  |  reply

Cool idea. I have 4 kids and have often wanted to take one day to pray for each of them specifically…may incorporate something like this. I like how this is pressing the issue with me!

6. posted on Sep 30, 2009 at 9:51 AM  |  reply

A method that I used for the longest time was Shower Powers. I would keep my community groups prayer requests on a single sheet of paper, in a baggie, in the shower. I would hang string on it so it could dangle from a hook or something. That way I could double team washing my hair and praying for a friend’s day!

I do like the prayer coupon idea. That is really great! I’m ejoying this series a lot Annie!

7. Debs
    posted on Sep 30, 2009 at 10:45 AM  |  reply

Awesome ideas Annie, I am sure you are motivating many..including me 🙂 Send up a prayer for Jordan…he is 16 today 🙂

8. posted on Sep 30, 2009 at 10:58 AM  |  reply

“These coupons are not the boss of me.” I love it!

Great idea. Color coding and office supplies make everything more fun. Including (obviously) organizing your prayer life!

9. posted on Sep 30, 2009 at 11:02 AM  |  reply

they’re not the boss of me either!! 😉 great ideas annie!!

10. posted on Sep 30, 2009 at 11:57 AM  |  reply

first of all, i love that you’re doing this. it makes me feel better about my own shortcomings.

since you brought it up, i gonna just be honest and express my dilemma. and if you or any of your readers want to comment, that’d be cool too.

first of all, there’s the distance thing. how do you continue to have an active prayer life when you feel like you’re talking to a wall? for example, if i were told you loved me and you wanted to have an intimate relationship with me, and to talk to you constantly, but yet i could never see you and you never responded in a way i could understand, how long do you think this realationship would last? not long, you know?
    secondly, its the time. i have a notebook full of names and situations like you. a list of everything in my life. and i feel like i have to go one by one down the list everyday. i feel guilt if i don’t, like the ONE person i might leave off might of really needed prayer that day, or something. but to do this, throughly, would take 45-30 min. and this is SO overwhelming for me…

anyway… that’s just my piece of the puzzle…

peace on, annie. peace on. 🙂

11. posted on Sep 30, 2009 at 1:56 PM  |  reply

ok.. i’ve been pretty much SURE that you were my soulmate for the last 4 months. Now? I’M STINKIN POSITIVE.
    I have been doing something EERILY similar to this for about a month now.

You are rock solid, Annie. I like you.

Lee

12. jessica
    posted on Sep 30, 2009 at 9:26 PM  |  reply

i love everything about you.

13. posted on Oct 02, 2009 at 1:54 PM  |  reply

I’ve been behind on my blog reading…finally getting around to read your last posts and wow. I wish I had found the time earlier.

Loved this series, Annie!

I wrote a post back in January…or maybe February…about wanting to be remembered as a woman of prayer.

The prayer of the righteous is powerful and effective!!

14. Tom
    posted on Oct 04, 2009 at 10:16 AM  |  reply

Fossie,
    What a great idea. You know who loves you. Thanks for being who you are. Love, BTC

15. posted on Oct 07, 2009 at 1:39 PM  |  reply

that’s an awesome idea! i love your humble heart, eager to seek wisdom from others!

i have a prayer binder, that i started years ago, that is similar to this concept (and your prayer board), it has different sections for different days, and then divisions within the days like family friends, leaders etc… you can move the page from the section from one day to another. on people’s pages i attach a picture of them so i can see them when i pray, and the dividers are covered in scripture and prayers. i’ve completely gotten aways from using it over the last few years, but i think you’ve just inspired me to get back at it!

16. posted on Sep 06, 2011 at 9:56 AM  |  reply

Love your ideas. I started a prayer door last year. Here’s the post on it – http://bunny-trails.blogspot.com/2010/08/prayer-door.html. It’s much more full now, but you get the idea.