My story.

on October 7, 2009 in Dreams Coming True, Nash-livin' with 18 comments by

For the last several months, we have been taking turns sharing our stories in small group.

Last night was my turn.

How in the world do you tell people a full synopsis of 29 years in less than an hour? And how do you tell people all of it? All the happy? All the sad?

I dunno. But I did it.

Ten of my closest friends heard the nitty-gritty.

The family stuff. The friend stuff. The sin stuff. The hurt stuff. The funny stuff. The weight stuff. The heart stuff. The single stuff. The Jesus stuff. The not-so-Jesus stuff.

All my junk.

I had to lay it out there. Because I knew what was coming next.

Prayer time.

If these ten people are going to group around me, lay hands on my shoulders, and pray their guts out for me, I can’t hide the ugly. To not disclose that which is dirty is to do a disservice to them- they wanted to pray for the things that REALLY matter.

And the things that REALLY matter aren’t REALLY pretty.

It was uncomfortable. It was tearful [shocker]. It was painful.

And it was beautiful.

My people. They love well.

At the end, Betsy, in her gentle way, reminded us all of something pretty important. It’s really not my story. This is God’s story. I’m just in it.

And when I think of it that way, the ugly loses it’s stink a bit. The pain dulls. And everything zooms out into right perspective.

It’s not about me. I mean, it kinda is. It’s my life. But it’s not mainly about me. It’s about Him.

Don’t get me wrong- it is important for people to know “your story”; but in reality, it’s way more important for people to hear your role in His story.

Either way, it’s time to tell the story.

So take time today. Pick up the phone and call someone. Grab coffee with a friend. Send an email. Tell someone the story you are living- who you are, where you’ve been, and where you’re going.

And tell of how Jesus has been the Author and perfecter of your faith (Heb. 12:2).

1. caroline
    posted on Oct 07, 2009 at 4:55 AM  |  reply

AMEN sister!
    i love u! such TRUTH! It is because of HIM and for HIM. In HIS grace He lets us walk out the gift of life with the gift of eternity set as a seal on our hearts! What a sweet TRUTH and peace that EVERY tear, every rip of the heart, every question, every plan that “didnt work out as planned”, every joy, every relationship, friendship……IT ALL HAS SUCH PURPOSE…Isaiah 55—–reain does not fall to the ground for no purpose! Praise the GRAND WEAVER for the threads of hope, hurt, joy, triumph, growth, love, peace…..that he weaves into our life…,such purpose in THE story….and the crazier thing….is even when we can verbalize that….it is a dim dim dim precursor to the revelation that is to come of the life that is to come! anyway…thanks ans….thankful for you adn for your story….for your faithfullness to daily make HIS story your story…..without that you would not be in nashy and in my life now…so thankyou ABBA, sweet jehovah jirah who knows exactly how to care for what belongs to HIM. muah!

2. posted on Oct 07, 2009 at 6:22 AM  |  reply

The tapestry of God…love that concept.

It’s good for us to spill our guts to our brothers and sisters in Christ. You never know when you are being used by God to minister to someone.

Thanks for the incentive to be real.

3. ali
    posted on Oct 07, 2009 at 6:32 AM  |  reply

Just beautiful.

4. posted on Oct 07, 2009 at 7:38 AM  |  reply

I love when my blog world has this flow – I read a blog yesterday about Story. Here’s the link: http://kimprayz.wordpress.com/2009/10/06/telling-our-stories-to-each-other/.

What really struck me in Kim’s post was this quote from Krista Trippett:

“Your identity is not equivalent to your biography.

“There is a place in you where you have never been wounded, where there is still a sureness in you, where there is a seamlessness in you and where there is a confidence and tranquility in you, and I think the intention of prayer and spirituality and love [and friendship] is now and again to visit that Inner Sanctuary.”

5. posted on Oct 07, 2009 at 8:41 AM  |  reply

I enjoy reading your blog but especially enjoyed today’s post! Thank you!

6. Sarah S
    posted on Oct 07, 2009 at 8:44 AM  |  reply

Thanks Annie, i loved reading this. It is God’s story. Great reminder!

7. Kat
    posted on Oct 07, 2009 at 9:17 AM  |  reply

What a wonderful reminder. Thanks for adjusting my perspective. This really resonates broadly and deeply with me today…

8. posted on Oct 07, 2009 at 9:30 AM  |  reply

good words! i love the focus on it being God’s story!!!!

our small group has been meeting for a couple of months and is talking about doing the same sort of thing and sharing our stories with each other. last night one of the guys said that if there isn’t anyone in your life who knows your WHOLE story, and everything about you then you aren’t living in community.

9. posted on Oct 07, 2009 at 9:51 AM  |  reply

I know that’s not easy to do, friend. But what freedom there is on the other side!

10. posted on Oct 07, 2009 at 10:51 AM  |  reply

there is so much wisdom in what you have said!! thnx for the reminder that it’s not about me, it’s about HIM!!!! you are always such a blessing!!

11. Laurie
    posted on Oct 07, 2009 at 1:32 PM  |  reply

Just shared this morning with some of my younger Biblestudy gal pals how God convicted me through a recent devotional we shared together. It revealed me. Exposed me. Let them know where I was living. But it also showed the grace of God and that in all things He can receive glory.

Thanks Annie. Love how you write and encourage me.

12. posted on Oct 07, 2009 at 2:56 PM  |  reply

“It’s really not my story. This is God’s story. I’m just in it.”
    This really struck me! Thanks for passing on the thought; I wonder if ANY of my friends could handle this.

13. posted on Oct 07, 2009 at 5:32 PM  |  reply

Thanks for this.
    I have to give my story in front of my church, 1500 strong, in a couple of weeks. Not looking forward to it, but then again my story doesn’t leave any room for me to take the credit. Which is why I love Him. For me, nothing less than 100% humility will do.

14. posted on Oct 07, 2009 at 10:36 PM  |  reply

What a great idea.

15. posted on Oct 07, 2009 at 11:45 PM  |  reply

What a great way to look at our lives… God’s story. For me this not only removes the pain of all of the junk, but it also gives me hope for the future. Because God works all things together for His good. Philippians 1:6 –all for His good.

16. posted on Oct 08, 2009 at 9:09 PM  |  reply

what a wonderful blog annie! Sounds like you have an outstanding small group. And that’s great you are all taking the time to share like this. My group has been together for about 3 years. There are 3 of us originals and we’ve had some come and go over the last 2. Its been a hard month with some deaths in families and illnesses in our group but I think its given us the opportunity to be “real” with each other.

I’ve been so busy I miss reading your blogs! I’m catching up, especially with all the You blog posts. You have some great readers – – maybe I’ll find the time to get on your agenda for 2010.

Have a great week!

17. posted on Oct 12, 2009 at 9:25 PM  |  reply

This is so good Annie. I need to do this for sure, especially in the season I am in right now…not good is the synopsis. Seasons aren’t easy but they are necessary for our greater good. Thanks for reminding me that it is His story and the humbling part is that He chooses to use us in His story. Gotta find somebody to talk to right now! Later friend!

18. posted on Oct 18, 2009 at 9:52 PM  |  reply

Just found your blog and I love this post! It is amazing that you opened up and has this group to pray for you. Only wonderful things can come of that. I’ll look forward to reading more on your blog soon. Come check mine out sometime too!