We’re gonna have to talk about the Georgia Bulldogs at some point.

on October 10, 2009 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 23 comments by

And this morning is as good a time as any.

You know, for years I’ve been a die hard Dawg fan. Some would say I bleed red and black.

My grandmother attended UGA for grad school (right, Mama?), my mom attended UGA, I attended UGA, and my sister attended UGA. [Dad went to Alabama. And now my youngest sister is at Auburn. I know. We were heartbroken about it too.]

So, all these things to say : I have and and will always cheer for the Dawgs.

Yet, it appears that this is going to be the year that my cheering is mixed with wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I’m not going to point fingers. And here’s why. I don’t want to come up on a UGA player’s google alert. You understand, I’m sure.

Trust me, if I didn’t mind ending up on a google alert, I would say names. Oh boy would I. Cause I have some names. Some names that I would like to write and then immediately frown upon. But I will play it safe and say that yes, I understand that we are not in our “finest form.” And I am fully aware that we aren’t really “winning games” or “scoring more points that the other team” or “expected to have an amazing season.”

Sure, we’re 3-2 [pre-UT game today]. Which a lot of teams would be happy with. But not us. Not under Coach Richt. We have 10 win seasons. That’s all we know.

Until this year. Probably. Because even though I don’t want to admit it, I don’t see us beating Florida. So, if we win EVERY OTHER GAME, it will be a 9 win season. And the SEC championship? Psshhh.

It’s just frustrating. We haven’t won a national championship since 1980. THE YEAR I WAS BORN. And I hate to think that our chance at winning left last year after the NFL draft.

I love college football. I love the Georgia Bulldogs. But this Saturday deserved a disappointed fan rant.

You’re welcome.

Go dawgs!….?….. uh…. please?

What’s your college team of choice? How’s your season going?

1. posted on Oct 10, 2009 at 1:48 AM  |  reply

i feel the pain. I’m at UGA… last saturday was a mopy saturday night in Athens… let me tell you!

2. Amy
    posted on Oct 10, 2009 at 9:10 AM  |  reply

You’re going to hate to hear this, but I’m a Gator Fan!! It’s not a popular way to be here in Bulldog territory (I live near Atlanta), but I am from Florida and won’t ever change my allegiance from the home team! Given your opponent today, this is one Saturday that I will be pulling for a GA win. Good luck πŸ™‚

3. posted on Oct 10, 2009 at 9:30 AM  |  reply

So then, your dad will duly appreciate the fact that my 3yo walked around church last Sunday–our “soulwinning kickoff,” for which everyone wore their team’s jersey–pointing at his shirt’s crimson letters and shouting “ROLLLLLL TIIIIDE!!!”

4. Chipper
    posted on Oct 10, 2009 at 9:42 AM  |  reply

Let’s blog with stupidly optimistic abandon … Dawgs to delist the Vols, devour the Commodores, and make a gator-skin purse out of the ugly orange and blueys down south. Lord, please bless our smack talk.

5. Annabel
    posted on Oct 10, 2009 at 9:59 AM  |  reply

Oh, our poor Dawgs.
    I just try to think about there is a season for everything, and one day…we will have ours!

6. posted on Oct 10, 2009 at 10:10 AM  |  reply

I’m a Bama fan through and through, but when I cheer for another team….it’s the Dawgs. I love me some football, and loved coming to Athens when my sister Erin was at UGA. I feel ya girl….hoping it turns around for y’all soon.

7. posted on Oct 10, 2009 at 1:12 PM  |  reply

I’ve never been a big college football fan – I grew up in ACC territory & do you remember all those great Wake Forest football teams? I thought not.

But now we’re in Ohio & it’s apparently obligatory to pull for Ohio State. Everywhere I go it’s Buckeye this & Buckeye that. Meh. But we do pull for the University of Cincinnati where my husband got his doctorate – they’re doing pretty well this year.

8. posted on Oct 10, 2009 at 2:24 PM  |  reply

oh man girl. I hope you’re not watching the game right now. ouch.

I went to Georgia too – and I’m trying very hard not to be a fairweather fan!

9. posted on Oct 10, 2009 at 3:46 PM  |  reply

I love this. And I wholeheartedly agree. ha

I also think ole Staff should’ve stayed with us for this year. He wishes he did, deep down inside. I can feel it.

10. posted on Oct 10, 2009 at 6:07 PM  |  reply

I bleed orange and blue. I went to the University of Florida, and even though I’m now in Big 12 country, I will always be a Gator. And I will never cheer for the Dawgs. Sorry….

11. posted on Oct 10, 2009 at 9:29 PM  |  reply

TEXAS! We were ROBBED last year, but we’re national championship bound this time around, oh, yes we are. πŸ™‚

12. posted on Oct 10, 2009 at 10:38 PM  |  reply

Sorry, but boomer sooner baby, all the way. I’ve been an Oklahoma fan of all sports from the time I could talk! We aren’t having the greatest year, but I love them win or lose. I also support all the big 12 schools because everyone in my family went to a different big 12 school. We were raised to support each other!

13. Brooke
    posted on Oct 11, 2009 at 8:22 AM  |  reply

I’m a Gator Girl! My sister, brother and I all went to the University of Florida — we (and our parents) are Gator fans through and through.

14. posted on Oct 11, 2009 at 1:26 PM  |  reply

Oh goodness…the Dawgs. What has happened to them? Seeing that they are my second favorite SEC team, I’m sad with you on their lack of producing wins this season.

Thankfully, my #1 team…The University of Alabama…is bringing in some wins. Maybe you should just switch and cheer on the Tide like you Dad. πŸ™‚

That sister of yours that went to the other school…sadness, complete and utter sadness.

15. Chelsey
    posted on Oct 11, 2009 at 3:59 PM  |  reply

Oh, the Dawgs, they broke my heart Saturday. I’m pretty sure that’s all there is to say about that.

16. Tatiana
    posted on Oct 11, 2009 at 7:11 PM  |  reply

I’m a Florida Gator and our season is going great!! Ah, I love my school πŸ™‚

17. posted on Oct 11, 2009 at 8:09 PM  |  reply

Poor doggies…{at least they didn’t black out LOL!}

A big {friendly} ROLL TIDE here! πŸ™‚

But, I’ve def been in the same boat as you…whew, Bama was rough for a good while there… back in action now!

18. posted on Oct 12, 2009 at 9:11 AM  |  reply

I am an Auburn fan, but cheer for the SEC. I grew up in East TN and can’t stand Volunteer football. The only way I cheer for the Vols if they are in championship contention (which they aren’t these days.) I was definitely rooting for your Dawgs on Saturday. Poor Dawgs.

19. posted on Oct 12, 2009 at 9:24 AM  |  reply

I feel your pain….I am a Seminole fan. It’s hard to go from being Nat’l Champs when I first was a student at FSU, to not being able to watch a game because my poor heart can’t take it! But even in the darkest of days, I still bleed Garnet & Gold!

20. posted on Oct 12, 2009 at 1:47 PM  |  reply

UGA may be down, but they still demoralized my Hogs :(. But then we beat Auburn so there’s a light at the end of the tunnel….unfortunately it’s an oncoming train in the form of Tebow in the Swamp this Saturday!

21. Laurie
    posted on Oct 13, 2009 at 12:25 PM  |  reply

Oh, Annie – I love me some GA football, too! And each Saturday I get so excited, wear one of my GA t-shirts and put a GA bandana on my pup. Me and my sister usually text throughout games!! But lately, we’ve been biting our nails, moaning, with no desire to text. This past Saturday I decided it would be more fun to clean the toilets. So I did.

I love’em, and I’m still bleeding red and black, it just hurts a little more πŸ™‚

22. posted on Oct 13, 2009 at 11:48 PM  |  reply

Well I come from a school with a pretty small football program so I opt to root for either of the so cal power houses, but I really love college football. I’m a chargers fan but prefer the fanfare and atmosphere of ncaa much more! yay for female sports fans!! πŸ™‚
    on a side note, I was totally picturing chris farley doing his finger quotes {as in “so I don’t ‘take a shower'”} for your descriptions of what your team is NOT doing. heehee. can’t remember that character’s name but so funny.

23. posted on Oct 19, 2009 at 10:20 PM  |  reply

Oh man…I grew up in Utah where you’re either a die hard UofU fan or a die hard BYU fan…I decided to go to the U and my father has been disappointed in me ever since….

They aren’t having the best season…but BYU is. And you better believe my dad calls to remind me of that on a daily basis πŸ˜›