The highlight of my Wednesday night.

on October 15, 2009 in That's delish. with 18 comments by

See, I need to give you the back story before I give you the highlight. Sorry bout it.

In the fall of 2000, some friends and I took a trip to Boston. It was, and is still, one of my favorite college years memories. And we found a bakery. A bakery that, I’ll be honest, I fell in love with.

Said bakery? Mike’s Pastry. Not the most awesome website in the world, but they never claimed to be internet nerds. They are bakers. Give ’em a break.

I don’t know what it was about Mike’s. Maybe it was Mike, maybe it was the crisp fall air, maybe it was the blue and white decor, maybe it was Little Italy that just stole my heart. Or maybe it was just the idea that me and a handful of my college buddies had actually been crazy enough to fly up there and spend our fall break and we were going wherever we wanted because HELLO we were 20 years old and mature and no one was the boss of us.

Something about Mike’s stuck with me. [In my heart and on my thighs and you are welcome for that.] And as a better Annie says, Boston is a city I like to crush on.

So last week, when my friend Molly was telling me that she was headed north, I said, with more enthusiasm than one healthy minded adult should have towards a bakery, that she must Must MUST go to Mike’s. I then continued to share with her minute and ridiculous details of my two trips to Boston and how, because I’m just not right in the head, I had paid a taxi driver to stop by Mike’s on the way to the airport last time I visited.

People. I am addicted to sugar. Deal with it.

Fast forward to Wednesday night, say around 6:15pm. I’m watching DVRed episodes of Flipping Out [duh] when I hear footsteps on my back porch.

Lo and behold, this arrived at my door. “This” being “Molly with a blue and white box.”

molly_canoli

Are you seeing what I saw?? Sweet Molly and her travel worn box from Mike’s. It could have brought tears to my eyes. But it didn’t. If I cry over pastry, then we have proof that I take dessert too. seriously.

Truly, is that not the kindest thing? That Molly took time to bring me a cannoli? FROM MIKE’S PASTRY??

Three cheers for Molly loving me enough to get stopped and questioned by airport security for smuggling baked goods below the Mason Dixon line.

canoli
I’m not showing you the other end of the cannoli because it is absolutely none of your business how much I had already eaten at the time of the photo shoot nor is it important whether there is any cannoli left in my life.

But THAT was the highlight of my Wednesday night.

[Insert polite curtsy here.]

And good day to you.

1. Christine
    posted on Oct 15, 2009 at 6:19 AM  |  reply

Annie, did you notice that you can order kits to make your own Mike’s pastry at home?! When your book sells, I think you need to treat yourself to that kit, invite your Nashville peeps over and make them–then take pictures and blog about it for the rest of us!

2. posted on Oct 15, 2009 at 7:03 AM  |  reply

What a sweet friend! Really – is there anything at all like walking into a bakery and having all those aromas hit you in the face? Nah. Nothing.

3. ali
    posted on Oct 15, 2009 at 7:25 AM  |  reply

I should have been Italian.

4. posted on Oct 15, 2009 at 7:46 AM  |  reply

Ok. I’m gonna admit something out here on the blogosphere.

Here goes.

(whispering) I don’t like pastries. Including and especially Krispy Kreme AND cannoli.

((hanging head in shame))

Please let me know that you still love me.

That was a hard moment for me.

But I’m really happy for you and your cannoli surprise! 🙂

5. posted on Oct 15, 2009 at 8:00 AM  |  reply

I love this post for so many reasons.

1–Boston is my favorite northern city…much like Nashville is my favorite southern city.

2–I, myself, went to Boston the first weekend of October and a trip to Mike’s was definitely on my list of things that had to be done.

3–I’ve met that sweet Molly girl and it doesn’t surprise me in the slightest that she did that sweet act of kindness. Seeing her cute face brightened my morning!

6. posted on Oct 15, 2009 at 9:02 AM  |  reply

We have a German friend who runs a bakery, and he makes a mean cannoli. They are my fave!

7. posted on Oct 15, 2009 at 10:47 AM  |  reply

As a fellow sugar addict, I really enjoyed this post. My weakness though it hot Kripsy Kreme donuts. I’ll have to check out that bakery next time I’m up north and see if it can top my favorite little treats.

JB

8. posted on Oct 15, 2009 at 11:25 AM  |  reply

Everything’s better in Boston!!!

… or is it Metter?
    🙂

9. posted on Oct 15, 2009 at 12:04 PM  |  reply

You’re making me want to go to Boston! Hi, my name is Shannon, and I have an unhealthy obsession with all things sweet!

10. Merideth Schoolcraft
    posted on Oct 15, 2009 at 12:16 PM  |  reply

First off, I think that was so awesome of your friend to get that treat for you on her trip. Such a sweet friend! Second, i grew up in Massachusetts, and I’m sorry to say I have never heard of this bakery. But, in my defense, I didn’t live in Boston. Now I wish I could go there to taste their stuff. I loved baked goods, and I love baking! We had a bakery in our small town up north that a family owned,and I always loved getting their cookies, and I think the bakery’s still there too.

11. 79Leslie
    posted on Oct 15, 2009 at 3:27 PM  |  reply

True friends really are a blessing from God and I am SO glad that you have them in your life! This story warmed my heart…thank you for sharing. I also like how you said Boston is a city you crush on…I feel that way about Nashville 🙂

p.s.
    I am jealous that you got to eat that…looks soooo yummy!!

12. posted on Oct 15, 2009 at 3:40 PM  |  reply

mmm, my first and only cannoli (and I’m italian even- yikes!) was enjoyed at Mike’s a couple of years ago. I loved Boston too!

13. posted on Oct 15, 2009 at 11:20 PM  |  reply

I have tears.

A. I’m weepy this week.

B. I’m missing my Boston peeps. I only got to live there a year, but good grief, Charlie Brown, what an amazing year.

C. I’ve had one of those cannolis and they’re worthy of at least a bucket of tears.

That Molly…she deserves a prize. Maybe even a Nobel.

14. Claudia
    posted on Oct 15, 2009 at 11:22 PM  |  reply

Not sure if they have a Fresh Market in Nashville or not. But if they do, check it out. They have AMAZING cannolis there. Truly. Amazing. You’re welcome. :>)

15. posted on Oct 15, 2009 at 11:25 PM  |  reply

Now that’s a good friend!

16. posted on Oct 16, 2009 at 3:52 PM  |  reply

Such a delightful post Annie! Thank you for the smile and for the little-girl-delighted way you shared the story!! Loved it!! I’ve never been to Boston but if I ever get to go, you’ve got me wanting to visit Mike’s!

Have a great weekend!
    Shaunie

17. posted on Oct 20, 2009 at 8:48 PM  |  reply

Very funny! And sweet. I’d be excited, too!

18. posted on Oct 21, 2009 at 10:08 PM  |  reply