An earful.

on October 23, 2009 in Sounds good to me. with 11 comments by

So a few weeks ago was this amazingly fun thing called “Next Big Nashville” and pretty much, for about four days, a TON of local Nashville acts strut their stuff all over the stages of Nashville.

And Marisa luckily won 2 wristbands and let me borrow one a few times! Proof, you say? Fine.

NBN_bracelet
So I got to see a lot of shows. And bizarrely, some other shows I planned on attending all fell within the same 2 week window.

Matt and Rob

Matt and Rob

I decided, for your weekend, that I would list all the musicians that I got to see.And I’ve linked you to their MySpace page, so you can listen for free before purchasing anything. Or attending a show. Which you should do both. And they are in no particular order except the order in which I attended the shows.

And of course, I’m giving you some commentary and photos along the way because Hi. My name is Annie. I tend to overexplain.

Ten out of Tenn [So fascinating to me. Wrote about it last year too.]

Steve Moakler [Have mercy this is a talented dude.]

Rob Blackledge (with Matt Wertz) [Love these jokers.]

Ben Rector [His voice reminds me of the ocean. Strong. Steady. Calming. I dig.]

Stephanie Lambring [I heard her sing the song “Lonely To Alone” on our friend’s front porch and it stopped my mind and heart. Absolutely stunningly written.]

The Civil Wars

The Civil Wars

Parker Welling [Also a front porch performance. Amazing.]

Madi Diaz [Possibly the lucky find of the week. Though everyone else here already listens to her, this was my first exposure and I. Am. Hooked.]

Civil Wars [Love them. Big time. Also, you can download their album for FREE if you scurry over there.]

Alison Krauss

Mary Chapin Carpenter [She was my JAM in middle school and it was a serious highlight to hear her, though she sang mostly new stuff that didn’t do too much for me.]

Alternate Routes [Duh. As Marisa would tell you, I made the decision that this was my favorite band and they did not disappoint.]

Mat Kearney [I’ve listened to his new album over 25 times. STRAIGHT THROUGH. So I went into it already happy cause I love the new stuff. And the live show was insanely good.]

Keith Urban [One of the greatest concerts I’ve ever attended.]

Lady Antebellum [Their new song “Need You Now”? It. Is. Good.]

Taylor Swift

Brad Paisley

Vince Gill [Seeing Vince Gill perform is probably a highlight of my Nash-life.]

Little Big Town

Dierks Bentley

Jason Aldean

Sorry. I ran out of things to say there at the end. I mean, how many times do you want to read “I think that singer is great”?

So happy weekend. Hope you enjoy hearing some of this local Nashville talent. It’s probably going to want to make you move here.

Or… at least come visit. 🙂

1. posted on Oct 23, 2009 at 6:58 AM  |  reply

OK. This is where I have to admit I’m a just a tiny bit jealous. There. YOU saw all these great artists? That is amazing.

I’m going to myspace and listen to something new to me.

2. posted on Oct 23, 2009 at 11:29 AM  |  reply

Did you go to the Keith Urban/Taylor Swift/Faith Hill/Lady Antebellum concert where they all played together? If so, my friend was totally there. And I know that doesn’t mean much, except I am not from anywhere near Nashville and it just cracks me when my life intersects in one of many little ways!

3. posted on Oct 23, 2009 at 12:11 PM  |  reply

Annie, thank you millions and millions for these links. My husband and I are always on the lookout for new music, and though my taste leans further toward the country side than his, we’ll get a lot out of these artists. Please post about how these concerts go!
    Thanks again!

4. posted on Oct 23, 2009 at 2:55 PM  |  reply

And why don’t I live in Nashville, again? Sadly my musical exposure is lacking here in So Cal. Sigh…

5. Laura
    posted on Oct 23, 2009 at 4:29 PM  |  reply

Can I just tell you how jealous i am? I wanted to go to this soooo bad. Stupid School.

6. posted on Oct 23, 2009 at 7:19 PM  |  reply

word… i’m SO coming to visit. i didn’t even know this existed, can you please please tell me next time something like this happens?!?!? and do you know my friend brendan mccarthy? he’s a californian turned nashvillian. if you don’t, he’s rad. i’ll come visit you both because i just think we should be friends anyhow. so there.

7. posted on Oct 23, 2009 at 10:41 PM  |  reply

Wow girl you had SOME FUN!! I’m a concert girl, so I am well and truly pea-green with envy! Glad you got to experience all that great music!!

8. posted on Oct 24, 2009 at 12:06 AM  |  reply

I’m so jealous, when can I come visit? 🙂

9. posted on Oct 24, 2009 at 3:58 AM  |  reply

See…these are the times I wished I lived in the Nashville area. And can I just say that Need You Now is quickly becoming an all time favorite song? Love it!

10. posted on Oct 24, 2009 at 9:24 AM  |  reply

Wow. Allison Krauss. Little Big Town. Mat Kearney? I am in a green state of jealousy of you. Mat Kearney? I want to marry him and have all of his little guitar-playing babies. Or see him live.

Oh, the jealousy.

11. posted on Oct 27, 2009 at 8:53 AM  |  reply

I’m thinking the “Gwen works from home” show might pick up and move to Nashville due entirely to this post!

I saw Keith Urban and Sugarland twice this summer (which were the 9th and 10th times I’ve seen Keith) – both were amazing and there are so many things I love about Keith live that I won’t fill your comment section with them all (perhaps I should right a post of my own…).

I’m loving Ten out of Tenn, which I found via Brite Revolution, which I found via you (see how I made that work?). I regrettably missed Mat Kearney when he was in DC (same with Wertz, the Alternate Routes, and LBT’s last swings through). I did see Marc Broussard, who was amazing, and Ray LaMontagne (there aren’t words to describe how wonderful he was (as well as the venue itself)).

I found Steve Moakler after Wertz mentioned him on Twitter over the summer and I wore out “All the Faint Lights.” Seriously, the first time I heard “Run” it was like I’d been hit in the gut (in a good way). He was through here right after I found him, but I, sadly, had a conflict. I also think that 16 year old Gwen would have had Moakler and Taylor Swift in a constant rotation.