The Robe.

on October 26, 2009 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 12 comments by

robeMy dear friend Graham gave me a robe for my birthday.

This isn’t your average robe. It’s from a really nice store.

It’s made of angel wings and lamb sneezes.

[Not really. But it is mucho soft.]

It may be one of the nicer things I own in my life.

Or at least I treat it as such.

I only wear it when I have time to really enjoy it. When I know I get to spend my morning at a slower pace. Though I look at it every day and actually sometimes wake up extra early just to make sure I have some robe time.

Maybe that’s weird. I dunno…..

It never Never NEVER hits the floor. I always hang it back up right where it should go. It’s possibly [and my roomie can confirm this] the only object that actually gets put in its place every. single. time.

It’s just so nice. It’s so beautiful and soft and a real treasure. I don’t want to spoil it or ruin it or leave it on the floor. I want to do all that I can to keep it in the best condition possible.

As I was drinking my chai on Saturday, dressed all warm and cozy in my pajamas and robe, I had a realization.

I treat my robe better than I treat my own body.

Better than I treat many of my possessions.

Better than I treat some of my friends.

And now, as I see the robe hanging on the back of my bedroom door, I stare at it and wonder why those statements are true.

1. ali
    posted on Oct 26, 2009 at 6:40 AM  |  reply

Oh girl, you treat your robe better than I treat Jesus on some days.

I needed this post to remind me of my precious Savior and that I need to stop leaving Him on the floor because I’m too busy or lazy to display Him properly.

Thank you.

2. Merideth Schoolcraft
    posted on Oct 26, 2009 at 6:45 AM  |  reply

Good food for thought Annie. Thanks for that. I wish I could say I treat people and myself and other things as well as I should. But, unfortunately I don’t, and that’s not right.

3. posted on Oct 26, 2009 at 8:20 AM  |  reply

Lamb sneezes? Will definitely use that one again.

And I needed this post this morning. Thanks, girlfriend.

4. posted on Oct 26, 2009 at 8:34 AM  |  reply

It really makes you think, doesn’t it? And, I just have to say–your friend is awesome for getting you that. What a thoughtful gift!

5. posted on Oct 26, 2009 at 9:22 AM  |  reply

Wow – I need to definitely spend some time thinking about this one. The hard part is that my mouth & brain are in conflict about what’s best for my BODY.

6. posted on Oct 26, 2009 at 9:59 AM  |  reply

oooh…That’s good. I’m glad you had that realization and shared- so glad. 🙂

7. posted on Oct 26, 2009 at 12:47 PM  |  reply

it’s a lovely robe!! thought provoking too!! 🙂

8. posted on Oct 26, 2009 at 10:47 PM  |  reply

I know exactly what you mean!

9. Elaine Phillips
    posted on Oct 27, 2009 at 12:43 AM  |  reply

Thanks, Annie. May I use this robe illustration to share with my own Readers? (I’ll post your site, if you don’t mind.) I’m with Ali — I don’t display Jesus as I should (and want to). See Brad Huebert’s post today!

10. Elaine Phillips
    posted on Oct 27, 2009 at 12:45 AM  |  reply

Here’s a link to Brad’s post today, called Indwelling. Somehow I sense a link between what he and you are saying…

11. posted on Oct 27, 2009 at 3:35 PM  |  reply

I want lamb sneezes in all my clothes.

12. Face
    posted on Oct 27, 2009 at 10:54 PM  |  reply

Dear Annie.
    1- I know you were trying to be serious in this post. And so, for the following, I apologize.
    2- I really like your robe, and I understand your love for it.
    3- Unfortunately, and this might be harsh, but your husband one day might not love that robe (ahem). He might even say, “Those robes are the equivalent of a husband’s wife-beater, sweats, and Cheeto dust all over your chest from having laid on the couch watching football.” So enjoy it now. Lounge away, my friend.