REBA

on November 10, 2009 in Dreams Coming True, Nash-livin', Ze Bloggy Goodness with 20 comments by

rebaI think you know this. But I’ll remind you. I live in Nashville and seeing famous country music stars isn’t totally weird. And I’ll be honest and say that when I pass any famous person at the grocery store or wherever, I’m cool as a cucumber.

Who would I not be cool around because I love her and want to know her? REBA.

And because the following story still breaks my heart a little bit, my friend Emily is going to tell you the story. Emily, take it. [I’m going to shoot some thoughts in here- they’ll be in red. Like this.]

__________

Dear AnnieBlogs readers,

I’m going to tell you the story of when Annie and I stood beside Reba and Annie didn’t even know. [That sentence alone still makes me sick.]

Annie, Ashley, Betsy and I went to go see Michael…finally. [The Michael Jackson movie “This Is It” is what she speaks of.] And after 2ish hours of pure genius, we exited the theater and followed Betsy, who had an enviable sized Coke during the movie, to the restroom. [Betsy is a heavy Diet Coke drinker.] Annie, Ashley and I waited outside the restrooms with a handful of other people doing the same. I’m a people watcher, so naturally I stood there and looked around. There were 3 people staring down the 2012 cutout, a boy dressed in too many shades of blue from head to toe, aaand REBA. Just standing there. [Ugh.] I’m not really a huge fan [ridiculous] so I didn’t think anything of it.

I noticed Annie whispering something to Ashley and giving the head nod that usually goes along with telling someone to look a certain way. So I figured for sure she’d seen her, right? Wrong. [This is true- I was pointing out the Ashley that a VERY D-list musician was standing about 10 feet past Reba. You read that right- I was looking PAST Reba to see said D-lister. Sickening.]

After a couple minutes, REBA‘s husband walked out of the restroom and they headed to the escalator. Figuring it was an okay time to let REBA fan Annie start re-living the fact that she was standing 3 feet from the woman herself [THREE FEET, y’all], I mentioned that I figured that’s what she had whispered to Ashley. Except that comment was met with a “WHAT?!” [I thought she was joking. Then I panicked.] Annie looked just in time to see REBA & Co. halfway up the escalator. Betsy emerged, found out what she missed, and shamelessly bolted up the escalator to catch a glimpse [which shocked me because Betsy is my biggest Reba-love critic, but her true colors came out right then]. Ashley was close behind. And Annie disclosed that had she known in time, she would’ve been so excited that a “run and tackle” would’ve been appropriate [I think I said “hug”].

And thus ends the night I saved REBA‘s life.  You owe me, Ms. McEntire.

Love, Emily

____________

So pretty much, Emily allowed me to stand RIGHT BESIDE REBA and not even say anything.

Trust me, I went through the appropriate phases of grief, and it ended with Emily and I having a very serious conversation about how we [SHE] should do things differently next time.

As in, “Emily. I’m serious. If this EVER happens again, you say something. You say something right away.”

At least I saw her going up the escalator.

And I did scream, “I might have been born just plain white trash, but FANCY WAS MY NAME!!”

1. Maddie
    posted on Nov 10, 2009 at 5:46 AM  |  reply

LOL I am no worshipper of celebrity in general (nor am I suggesting that you are, lol) but nonetheless, I doubt I would be able to be “cool as a cucumber” if I found myself standing in the Walmart shampoo aisle with say, Amy Grant, Steven Curtis Chapman, Garth Brooks, etc. You are stronger than I. lol What is it about seeing famous people out and about that turns perfectly normal people like us into Lucille Ball? lol I spotted Garth Brooks one Christmas season, here, in Oklahoma. My normally mature, rational brain completely turned to mush and I lost all sense of dignity. lol Let’s just say that my encounter ended with me cringing mightily from the front seat of our car while watching Garth slowly follow us around the block in his truck. (He and his family were visiting Sandy’s parents for the holidays)That most embarrassing story is legendary amongst my family members and students. LOL It was just like an I Love Lucy episode. The more conspicuous I tried to be while trying to catch an innocent glimpse of my favorite country artist, the more attention I drew to myself. Total fan girl fail. LOLOL In light of my own embarrassing experience, I have to say that I think you showed tremendous restraing by merely stalking Reba from a distance on the escalator and making the decision to save the tackle for another time. LOLOL Still, I think it’s possible that we both need to look into a good celebrity obedience class or two. LOLOL

Thanks for sharing this funny story. It gave me a good laugh as I sit here in the middle of the night watching over our youngest daughter who can’t sleep due to a non-serious back injury she sustained while rough housing with some kids in her youth group last Sunday. She loves your blog, as well, by the way. : ) We look forward to reading your first book. Your writing is both intensely moving and, hysterically funny. God has given you a beautiful gift.

2. Southern Gal
    posted on Nov 10, 2009 at 7:20 AM  |  reply

OH NO! I would have had to hurt Emily just a little…

At our State Fair (I think it was around ’00 or so)my daughter (around 12 then) and a few girlfriends were walking around when suddenly Mac Powell and Tai Anderson were right in front of them – coming out of the restroom with cell phones.

No one recognized them except my daughter. She said,(Get this) “Hey. I know you.” She said you could see him go “Man”, on the inside. He replied something like Do you? Then he asked her name, said something about now knowing her, too. The other girls she was with just stood there not knowing who in the world Rebekah was talking to. (They were at the fair to see them perform!)

After some other chit chat they finally figured it out and became manic fans. Others started coming up to them. Rebekah was a little embarassed.

She’s always cool as a cucumber. I don’t think I would be if I ran into someone like that. Now if it were Reba, I don’t think she could have kept her cool.

Maybe it was a good thing you didn’t see her until after the fact? I know you meant hug, but tackle probably would have been closer to the truth. Am I right?

3. posted on Nov 10, 2009 at 8:29 AM  |  reply

oh my gosh! so sad!

so, at gabe’s bday dinner, we were at cantina laredo and our waiter said “in case you were interested in knowing, reba is sitting outside on the patio.”

i grabbed my cellphone… and pretended to make a call… so i could go outside and catch a glimpse. i love reba too!!!

andy’s good friend tourmanages her… i will keep you in mind if any opportunities come up!!!

4. posted on Nov 10, 2009 at 8:40 AM  |  reply

I’m pretty sure Emily and I could not be friends. Because if I had been standing that close to her (well, let’s just pause and be honest for a minute. I WOULD’VE NOTICED. Because my Reba-dar is fierce. Yours apparently needs new batteries)…anyhoo…if I had been standing that close to her and Emily had not mentioned it, there would’ve been arm punching, and friendship loyalty questioning, and “what-the-heck-ing”, and potentially crying. And then I would’ve had to reevaluate mine and Emily’s depthness of friendship and it would’ve been a sad night.
    But I’m sure your Emily is a lovely person. She just needs to work on her O MY GOSH IT’S REBA! LET’S TELL EVERYONE LOUDLY WITHIN A 10 SQUARE FOOT RADIUS skillz.
    And I have GOT to come hang with you in Nash and go shopping (ie. stalk Reba).
    PS – I’ll be there Wed nite-Sat for Lifeway’s National Women’s Leadership Forum. Call a sista.

5. Cami Smith
    posted on Nov 10, 2009 at 9:16 AM  |  reply

this made me laugh out loud in the middle of my 7th grade homeroom. I’m only slightly embarrassed- but it was HILARIOUS. The very thought of you screaming “BUT FANCY WAS MY NAME” is truly more than I can handle. I’m laughing again just thinking about it. 🙂

6. Laurie
    posted on Nov 10, 2009 at 9:59 AM  |  reply

You crack me up!!! I’m a huge Reba fan – both of her music and the TV show.

7. posted on Nov 10, 2009 at 10:14 AM  |  reply

Friend, I feel your pain. I once scored meet and greet passes at an Amy Grant concert. I was told the meet and greet was at 6:30.

It was at 6pm. I was 1 minute too late.

I was the most dejected looking thing you’ve ever seen. I moped the whole concert.

After the show, though, there was a meet and greet for Vince Gill and Chaz (Amy’s manager or something) saw me, took pity and invited me in. She was there, we chatted for a good while and I was a happy camper.

I hope you get to properly meet Reba sometime soon. 🙂

8. posted on Nov 10, 2009 at 11:07 AM  |  reply

Love This!!

9. posted on Nov 10, 2009 at 12:01 PM  |  reply

haha this is hilarious

10. posted on Nov 10, 2009 at 12:03 PM  |  reply

Please don’t tell my husband, but this might be a teeny tiny part of why I want to move to Nashville. 😀

11. posted on Nov 10, 2009 at 1:36 PM  |  reply

Sweet mother of pearl, I LOVE Reba! There would have been no “cool as a cucumber” for me.

She was my very first concert ever. Nothing like being a 7 year old singing every word of “Does He Love You?”

I’ve always been classy like that.

12. posted on Nov 10, 2009 at 1:36 PM  |  reply

Annie, I love this story… and I feel the need to share. I had a close in counter with George Clooney aka the love of my life once. He was in my hometown, I was out looking for him with some of my friends (no joke, I went in search) and one of my friends saw him when she split up from us and decided not to tell anyone. I was just a little miffed, to say the least!
    At least Emily wasn’t trying to hide Reba from you. 🙂

13. Kristi Kay
    posted on Nov 10, 2009 at 2:04 PM  |  reply

Oh my gosh, made me laugh so hard. That’s tough, Annie…you gotta’ believe that another opportunity is coming.

14. Face
    posted on Nov 10, 2009 at 3:48 PM  |  reply

Hilarious blog.
    No use cryin’ over spilled perfume, friend.
    There will be other times.

15. posted on Nov 10, 2009 at 4:47 PM  |  reply

I like Emily. And Betsy. And Ashley.

I’m really sorry that you didn’t get to meet her, and that I didn’t get the obligatory call-Marie-when-I-interact-with-a-famous-person phone call.

16. posted on Nov 10, 2009 at 6:52 PM  |  reply

Hahahahahaha. Hahaha. That is funny.

17. posted on Nov 10, 2009 at 7:58 PM  |  reply

Please tell me you added the extra syllable to was…cuz FANCY WAS-AH MY NAME!! =P Loved getting to know this about you!

18. posted on Nov 10, 2009 at 9:10 PM  |  reply

I feel guilty that I got such joy out of reading of your missed opportunity.

But not that guilty 🙂

19. posted on Nov 10, 2009 at 11:50 PM  |  reply

You are hysterical. And for the record, I’d feel the same way if I was that close to YOU at the movies 😉

20. posted on Nov 30, 2009 at 6:31 PM  |  reply

Wow, I’m not really sure what to think about all this. You see there are only about 3 famous people I would even get out of my chair to meet. Some famous people turn my stomach, but most just arn’t even on my radar. But sister-friend, Reba is on my radar! I’m sorry but I would have just made a complete idiot of myself in that situation and you would have seen me running all over the theater looking for her. So, I can see the conflict over your friendship with Emily. I would really have to think what kind of friend would do that to you :o) Anyway, at least you closer than I’ll ever get!!! BTW, the other 2 people are Laura Bush and Beth Moore :o)