NYC: 48.

on December 1, 2009 in Dreams Coming True with 15 comments by

annie_parade[Short history: Marisa, Bronwen, and I love the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in NYC and so we decided we wanted to go there. We flew up Tuesday morning, stayed at sweet Jamie’s place, then flew home Thursday afternoon. Marisa has already recapped here, if you wanna see her take on the trip.]

We were literally there for 48 hours. So I’m going to recap as such.

TUESDAY

4pm:: Arrive in NYC. Plane to train to W 89th St.

7pm:: Dinner at a delicious Peruvian restaurant in the Upper West Side.

8pm:: “Why does my stomach feel so grumpy?”

9pm:: “Oh well, let’s go to Serendipity anyways.” Insert frozen hot chocolate. Also known as “the last thing I really ate while in New York.”

hot_chocolate

WEDNESDAY

11:30pm-5:30am:: You don’t want to know. Let’s just say that I didn’t really sleep all that much and it will be a LONG time until I eat beef, much less Peruvian beef.

5:30am-8am:: It only got worse.

8-11am:: Finally able to fall asleep. Dreamed of a life where I could forget the previous eight hours of the violent and lonely hell known as food poisoning.

12pm:: Make the trek alone down to Times Square [which, if you know me, know that the idea of traveling alone is scary because HELLO I HAVE NO SENSE OF DIRECTION] to meet up with Marisa and Bronwen. But I made it, albeit slow as a turtle because my energy? It was zapped. And then we shopped.

3pm:: Broadway, baby. I sang along, and I’m not ashamed of that.

45177372

7pm:: Awesome pre-parade moment- seeing the balloons being inflated. Sure, we were the only people (without children) over the age of 20, but who. cares.

parade_1

THURSDAY

5:30am:: That is a seriously early wake-up call.

6:30am:: Grab a Starbucks then head to our spot at 73rd W and Central Park West.

And then we stood there. Just. Stood. There. As the crowd grew and grew. I mean, seriously. Is that not unreal?!? Not pictured: the vast amount of arguing and shoving that occurred around us. Wowsa.

IMG_4678

9:10am:: The parade begins!

And y’all. It was awesome. The bands were great. The balloons were every bit as huge as you would imagine, and the floats were loaded down with famous people that I had never seen before because I just plain don’t watch as much Disney Channel as I used to.

IMG_4635

IMG_4659

10:35am:: The three hour parade that you watched on TV? Is actually 1.5 hours. And as the sleigh passed, I took the opportunity to yell, “I HAVE ALWAYS LOVED YOU!” which got me some strange stares– but when else will I be in the same place as the real Santa? Who can blame me?

santa

11am-4pm:: Roam around the city, take cool pictures of my feet and Central Park.

IMG_4693

Central park

4pm:: Head to JFK to fly home!

Would I go see the parade live again? Maybe. It was definitely cool and really worth it. But. You don’t get to see the performances or see the Disney stars de jour lip sync their greatest hit ever.

Will I ever take little children who might need to leave our spot at 8:15am because they have to use the bathroom and oh well, we will never get our spot back? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Would I ever accept an invitation to be in the parade?

Duh.

1. posted on Dec 01, 2009 at 7:40 AM  |  reply

I can hear you yelling that now in your Southern twang! I’ll bet you did get some strange stares.

Would you want to be there for New Year’s Eve? It’s my daughter’s dream. I don’t think so.

One of our traditions is watching “White Christmas” early in the season. You’re the second blogger I’ve read who has been to this Broadway show. I wanna go!!

2. posted on Dec 01, 2009 at 9:19 AM  |  reply

Frozen hot chocolate and Broadway and parades and…oh, my! I hope you soaked in every single second of it!! So excited for you. (Except for the food poisoning. Been there, done that…twice. Didn’t eat cilantro for, no lie, seven years. Haven’t had anything blackened in twenty. Ooh. I just gagged a little remembering it.)

3. posted on Dec 01, 2009 at 9:45 AM  |  reply

OH my gosh…I don’t know where to start. But … one of THE heartiest laughs I’ve had in a long time was when I read your address to Santa … “I’ve always loved you!” That is flat out funny.

I went to the parade the first year out of college. It was my favorite Thanksgiving ever. My dream is to be in it … like carry a balloon or something. But I don’t want to do it on a really cold year and you just never know so I haven’t done it.

AND … my husband and I are taking my 13 year old to NYC next weekend. CAN’T WAIT. I’ve just added Serendipity to our list of “must dos” and may try to see White Christmas. We’re going to Wicked as well.

That’s all … oh, except for the line about not watching Disney so much anymore was pretty funny too.

Sorry you got sick. No Peruvian food on our trip!!

4. posted on Dec 01, 2009 at 10:46 AM  |  reply

So it was the beef and not the chocolate. Well, that’s a relief. Still, I hope it didn’t put you off chocolate, too, because that would be tragic.

Tell me more about the show. White Christmas is my fave movie of all times. They show it down here in the Alabama Theater at Christmas on the big screen. You should come down. We’ll go sing along!

5. posted on Dec 01, 2009 at 11:12 AM  |  reply

Apart from the 11pm to 8am stint, it sounds like you had a wonderful, Christmasy time!

6. posted on Dec 01, 2009 at 11:48 AM  |  reply

Beef shouldn’t make you ill. Unless it was cooked with some chicken or something like that. You can’t get sick from it. πŸ™‚

Looks like a lot of fun! πŸ™‚

Jessica

7. posted on Dec 01, 2009 at 1:23 PM  |  reply

Hi, new to your blog and loving it! Great recap. I’m so sorry you got so sick, though. YUCK! I just asked my hubby Thursday what he thought the crowds must be like at the parade. You explained it well!

8. posted on Dec 01, 2009 at 1:26 PM  |  reply

How fabulous! I’m so glad you got to go (and recovered in time to see it). I I’d like to see it once, then I’d be happy to go back to my warm living room and jammies for the next 20 years or so πŸ™‚

9. Linda
    posted on Dec 01, 2009 at 8:54 PM  |  reply

LOVE this inside scoop. Watching the parade is on my list of things to do. Thanks for the behind the scenes tour!

10. posted on Dec 02, 2009 at 1:22 PM  |  reply

i’m totally jealous that you saw white christmas on broadway. my mom and i have a tradition of watching the movie on thanksgiving night. i love that you made one of your dreams come true πŸ™‚

11. posted on Dec 02, 2009 at 1:26 PM  |  reply

And this sort of thing might just be what I miss most about the fly by the seat of my pants lifestyle! Love that you went, Gorgeous!

12. posted on Dec 02, 2009 at 10:59 PM  |  reply

SO sad you got sick on your trip!

I love White Christmas and watch it with my family every year. We saw the traveling Broadway production last year and loved it.

13. posted on Dec 05, 2009 at 11:50 AM  |  reply

Annie,

I can’t believe you were at the Macy’s Day parade here in New York…I was not at the parade but I saw spectators as I rode through Manhattan Thursday morning. New York is an amazing place. πŸ™‚

14. posted on Dec 07, 2009 at 2:16 PM  |  reply

Wow. I’m exhausted. You HAD to be. That was a nutso trip! But sounds like such fun. I can’t believe Drew and I have been here in Boston for 3+ years, and never made it to NYC.
    #shame

15. debs
    posted on Dec 08, 2009 at 10:48 AM  |  reply

Are you sure that is not Mark Chapman behind you in the “crowd” picture…..I know you are laughing out loud at this comment!!!! Does, that not look like Mark???? Fun times!