2009: The Year I Refused to Recap.

on December 30, 2009 in Yearly Review with 16 comments by

I just can’t do it.

I recapped in 2007. I recapped in 2008.

But there is just something different about 2009.

I’m not going to say I’ve peaked. [Cause good gracious I hope that it’s not all downhill from here.] But without reservation, I will tell you that 2009 so overshot all my expectations, that there really is no way of doing it justice.

These two things are still true: I have no book on a shelf anywhere for you to buy. And I’m still deeply single.

And I tell you those two things to tell you this one thing: I wouldn’t trade my life for anything. Not for a New York Times #1 best seller. Not for the house and the husband and the 2.5 kids.

I want those things. But I want you to know that in my deepest core, down in my “knower,” all I can do is thank God for the good that He so freely gave in 2009. It’s not about what I don’t have, it’s about what I do have.

I saw the world this year- road trip to Waco, Texas, a month in Orange County, California, two weeks in Cape Town, South Africa, a day in London, two weekend trips to Chicago, Macy’s Parade in NYC, girls’ weekend at the beach in Florida, conferences in Mt. Hermon, CA and Charlotte, NC.

I’ve had a gazillion part time jobs and honestly, I have loved them all. Yes, even The Local Taco. It’s been a crazy freelance year. I walked into Anne‘s house one day in July to help her paint after having just lost THREE jobs in the 30 minute car ride to her home. We prayed over our Subway sandwiches that God would work it out. And then I watched as He provided.

I’ve been on the roller coaster of this writing career thing. It’s taken me to some amazing highs and some ice-cream-necessary lows. It’s been nothing that I expected, yet nothing I would change. I’m loving writing for (in)courage, SheSeeks, Susie Magazine, and some top secret things I can’t tell you until 2010. 🙂 But the roller coaster has turned into a slow moving locomotive. And I dig that.

And my friends? My Nash-family? My Marietta family? Don’t even get me started. I’ll be bawling like a baby up in here.

It wasn’t all fun, by any means. I lost my grandmother this year. I crushed on boys that didn’t like me back. I cried tears of frustration and worry and brokenness. I bounced a check. And I sinned. Ugh. That’s for sure.

But it was my 2009. My story.

If I wrote poetry [that I let you see], that would be an appropriate recap for this year. Or a song. Or a painting. Something with creative energy and flow and beauty.

Instead, I direct you to scripture. Because God is a great recapper. 🙂

Lamentations 3

Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness.

Amen. No matter what 2010 brings, these words remain true. He is loving. He is my great reward. He is enough.

And for that, I am grateful.

What did you love about your 2009?

1. Merideth Schoolcraft
    posted on Dec 30, 2009 at 7:10 AM  |  reply

Great post Annie! I love how positive you are about the life you have. So glad God blessed you so much this year. You deserve it all, and the things you still desire and have not gotten yet.
    You asked at the end what was good about the year for those of us reading your blog. For me it was visiting a friend in Virginia this past summer,and going to the beach on that trip. Visiting Mary Beth in Athens for a night, and going to Michael Moore’s Christmas party recently. And I enjoy hanging out with my nieces. OH and going to Riverstone a couple of weeks ago to hear Ji Lee and Mack Powell lead worship. Hope you have a great New Year’s with your Nash friends! Love, Merideth

PS: OH and I can relate to the comment about crushing on boys that didn’t like you back. I have had that many years(just not this year).

2. posted on Dec 30, 2009 at 7:26 AM  |  reply

Great post Annie! I love what the Lord has done in your life in this year and I know He has AMAZING things planned for you and I can’t wait to watch and see what He does! It’s been great to get to know you a little bit better through She Seeks and I’m honored to be apart of it with you! Have a BLESSED New Year!

3. posted on Dec 30, 2009 at 8:05 AM  |  reply

That was a great recap, Annie!
    That verse in Lamentations? It rocks. My daughter had it taped to the side of her dresser so it would be the first thing she would see every morning. Great way to start the day and the new year.

I loved the fact that (even though I bucked) the Lord provided my daughter with a loving husband who cares more for her than I could have ever imagined.

Hope 2010 is full of more surprises and blessings from the Lord than you can recap.

4. posted on Dec 30, 2009 at 8:49 AM  |  reply

Great post Annie…and it sounds like you have had a wonderfully blessed 2009. I hope and pray that 2010 exceeds 2009 by leaps and bounds.

I have been reflecting myself about 2009…and I am amazed at how far He has brought me as well. This time last year, I was in WV wrapping up my job in academia with no idea of where and what I wanted to do….12 months later I am in Nashville. Still a little surreal.

Have a Happy New Year!!
    Susie A.

5. Christy
    posted on Dec 30, 2009 at 9:38 AM  |  reply

I love that I found your blog!! Praying that 2010 is a year that God unleashes Annie on the rest of the world with your amazing writing ability.

6. Valerie
    posted on Dec 30, 2009 at 9:50 AM  |  reply

I love that my mom (she’s almost 80) and my mother-in-law (just turned 82) are both still with us, even though they both had surgery TWICE in 2009. But the bestest thing about 2009? Without a doubt, my new daughter-in-law. She’s my most favorite child that I didn’t birth. She’s a tremendous asset to my son and our family, and we’re all just crazy about her! God has outdone himself this year. 😀

7. posted on Dec 30, 2009 at 9:53 AM  |  reply

One of my favorite parts of 2009 was sitting in a hotel room with you eating a pound of fried chicken.

Love this post. Love what God’s doing in your life. Love you.

8. Beth
    posted on Dec 30, 2009 at 9:54 AM  |  reply

Boy, Annie, I am claiming that verse for ME!! Lamentations 3!! His compassions NEVER fail. Great IS His faithfulness. This year has seen me in places I would have NEVER dreamed – unemployed (for MONTHS), hip problems, NO tennis because of that. But, because I’m unemployed, I am able to help my daughter by watching my granddaughter so Angie can work extra hours at the hospital. What a blessing THAT is. And HE has provided ALL my needs! Yes, Great IS His Faithfulness!! Amen and Amen!! Thanks SO much for your blog!!
    Blessings to you
    Beth

9. posted on Dec 30, 2009 at 10:04 AM  |  reply

I have loved so many things about this year – a new nephew. A new job. Meeting lots of new friends. Traveling. Turning 30. Having my faith tested and renewed in ways big and small. So many unbelievable opportunities.

I look at myself now and, as should happen, I think I’m an improved version of the way I was a year ago. But, as it seems to happen with each year, I’m ready for 2009 to wrap up and so excited to see what 2010 brings for us all.

Happy New Year, Annie!

10. posted on Dec 30, 2009 at 12:03 PM  |  reply

Thanks for sharing this post. This has been a long, hard year for me but as its come to a close, I think I’ve finally figured out what I was supposed to have gotten months ago. Haha. I’m kind of stubborn like that. So in the end, I think what I’ve gained outweighs the struggles. But your post is encouraging in so many ways.

11. posted on Dec 30, 2009 at 3:00 PM  |  reply

God brought me new things as well Annie. He gave the beginning of a vision and helped me to see just a piece of how all that He has put in my heart might work together. That’s invaluable to me.

My family and I made decisions this year…good ones…and there are more to be made in 2010. I’m thankful for the direction God has given me and for the way that He continues to drive me to His cross.

12. posted on Dec 30, 2009 at 10:29 PM  |  reply

Loved eating Popsicles and stocking you in Frothy in 2009. Thank you, Annie for shooting it straight. I love your honesty and your insight. Also, thanks for attempting to help Brian get me a new Frothy Mug. He’s still laughing about, “Get this, they break!”

13. Jo
    posted on Dec 30, 2009 at 10:49 PM  |  reply

I loved being pregnant for the first 6 months of 2009. I have loved being a first time Mommy to my baby girl for the last 6 months of 2009. She is such a sweet blessing from the Lord. My husband, and extended family are also wonderful blessings from God.

14. posted on Jan 04, 2010 at 11:46 AM  |  reply

Absolutely beautiful! This pregnant girl is in tears! Not too long ago I was single and desperately wanting God to show me my mate. Yet, I was happy where I was in Him. I promise you, girl, when it happens, you’ll be BLOWN AWAY. I pray God’s best for you is searching for you and God’s preparing you both for that amazing journey of love! It’s worth the wait; I promise! And I love your writing; your way with words is so beautiful! I can’t wait for a book! 🙂

15. Ellen Singleton
    posted on Jan 06, 2010 at 11:09 AM  |  reply

I’m sorry…how did you sneak in my head/heart and know exactly what I am thinking/feeling? Well, not all of it…I never worked at Local Taco or went to Cape Town. Keep bringing that truth, girl. You have a beautiful gift.

16. posted on Jan 06, 2010 at 3:23 PM  |  reply

I found you through (in)courage and I just CRACKED up at your post about folding fitted sheets (because, I can’t do it…except now maybe I can). Anyway, and so I kept reading because you made me laugh and I think we’re very similar and in similar places in our lives except you have a talent for writing that I, unfortunately, do not! Thanks for sharing your life with us and I pray that God immeasurably blesses you in 2010! 🙂