The technology of a snoozle.

on January 20, 2010 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 15 comments by

First of all, I love that y’all love the Grammy thing. Crazy, right? More to come. Don’t you worry about that.

Now. Let’s talk about what important.

Sleeping.

Some friends showed me a new app for the iPhone this weekend. It’s called Sleep Cycle. And y’all. It. Is. Cool.

You set it. Lay it down on the bed beside you. And then it will chart your sleep cycle through the night and somehow, magically [or scientifically, but I’m a big fan of magic] it knows when to wake you up so that you are in the lightest part of your sleep cycle.

Genius, no?

Now, my homeopathic doctor would probably not love that I’m sleeping with my phone on the bed. But magic [science] requires some sacrifices.

I’ve had the app for three nights and because there is nothing that I withhold from you, here are my sleeping charts. And I’m going to need you to not judge the hours I’m sleeping. I’m a freelancer, remember? I work until late at night. It’s very creative and artsy… and stupid.

Saturday night

1:15am-7:54am

Sunday night

2:03am-8:06am

[I know. That was way too late. I felt it. Again, don’t judge.]

Monday night

12:32am-6:33am

Tell me that is not fascinating. Here’s what I noticed on all three- I fall asleep super fast. See how quick it drops off? And see how on Saturday night I fell asleep and then woke up about 20 minutes later? Yeah. People shouldn’t send text messages at 2am. Rude.

And the music it plays when it is waking you up is so sweet and polite. Very anti-alarm, which I appreciate. The only downside I’ve seen so far is that there is no snooze button- so as I usually set my alarm about 40 minutes before I want to get up, I have to instead set if for when I really want to wake up.

Now I truly have no idea if this is true or real or scientific [magical], but it’s fun. My friends who showed me the app are married and they don’t feel like it works real well when you share a bed. So, take that into consideration. [And you better believe I added that to my “reasons it’s cool to be single in 2010.” It’s a short list that I am willing to throw away at any point.]

Anybody else have Sleep Cycle? Or is there another cool iPhone app that I’m missing out on?

1. posted on Jan 20, 2010 at 11:12 AM  |  reply

Interesting. I’m a bit skeptical, but it’s cool!

“willing to throw away at any point” ~ you crack me up.

God bless.

2. posted on Jan 20, 2010 at 11:40 AM  |  reply

Hey y’all- we lost some comments this morning- a couple internal flibbity-flews. No biggie.

But if you want to leave your comment again, that would rule.

Sorry! 🙁

3. posted on Jan 20, 2010 at 2:31 PM  |  reply

How on earth does this work?!

I don’t ever fall right to sleep. Lately I have been because I’ve got myself on a schedule. But before I’d lay there for hours before falling asleep.

4. Molly
    posted on Jan 20, 2010 at 3:39 PM  |  reply

Is there an app for how to bone a duck?

5. posted on Jan 20, 2010 at 3:46 PM  |  reply

Annie: How cool! I’m going to try it 🙂

Molly: if you find one, let me know!

6. posted on Jan 20, 2010 at 4:11 PM  |  reply

I have amazing sleep issues. I wake up freaking out,swear, FREAKING OUT! I scream and dont know where I am and then I brush my teeth if I wake up cuz I cant go back to bed with bubbling halitosis. This will be fun to see what it logs for me. My hubby is out of town every week from Tue-Thurs this week Fri so it will be a fun experiment. I will have to make the dog and the child remain in their own beds tonight which may be hard..another thing that wakes me almost every night between the freaking and the brushing…(add to Reasons its cool to be single in 2010)

7. posted on Jan 20, 2010 at 4:12 PM  |  reply

Mew reader, here. I found you via your video about folding sheets. Pure genius! I linked to you from my blog; if that’s not ok, just let me know.

My hubby used an app to determine how bad his snoring was after I went on and on about it. He didn’t realize it was that bad until his iPhone app told him so.

I want to use this! I wonder if he’ll let me borrow his phone. 🙂

8. posted on Jan 20, 2010 at 11:18 PM  |  reply

Hey thanks for sharing. This is pretty interesting. I’ve been trying to work on getting proper sleep. I’ve just downloaded this app so see if the data helps me on my journey. =)

9. posted on Jan 21, 2010 at 1:07 AM  |  reply

I’m in a hotel, in a different time zone, yet here I sit downloading this app, because if AnnieBlogs says I need it, I surely do. My concerns have nothing to do with the app’s ability to analyze my sleep patterns. However, I am gravely worried about rolling over and crushing my magical iPhone in my sleep. Which would throw me into a deep depression and throw my sleep cycle all out of whack.

10. posted on Jan 24, 2010 at 11:59 PM  |  reply

I used Sleep Cycle for a while, but the no snooze button thing was eventually a deal breaker. Sorry, Sleep Cycle. Can we still be friends?

Other apps I love and use on a daily basis : Amazon (especially the Amazon remembers function), Best Photo, Tripod, Mint.com, Couch to 5k. Ok, the last app is one I bought in hopes of someday using it, but I plan to start using it tomorrow morning. For reals, this time.

11. posted on Jan 25, 2010 at 5:40 PM  |  reply

Annie, we’ve met once or twice… But I’m guilty of lurking on your blog… sorry. But I wanted to say I downloaded this app because you suggested it and I was curious. I used it for the second time this morning and I was a little peeved that it woke me up at 6:34 am and not like 6:58. It will take some finessing to finally get it to wake me up in a light cycle that doesn’t include the numbers 6 and 3, but I do like it.

12. posted on Jan 26, 2010 at 1:09 AM  |  reply

[…] the very next day, my friend Annie wrote a post about a new app she’d downloaded to her iPhone called Sleep […]

13. posted on Feb 03, 2010 at 12:45 AM  |  reply

[…] Blogs (well, really, she is my blog friend. I think I am her stalker) for introducing me via her blog to Sleep Cycle. A great app that tracks your sleep patterns through your movement and determines […]

14. Sarah McGalliard
    posted on Feb 05, 2010 at 3:22 PM  |  reply

I found you on BigMama’s blogroll– love your writing!

I got sleep cycle and I agree on thinking that it doesn’t work very well if you are married and your husband gets up at ridiculously early hours like 4am. BUT other than that it is pretty cool. except that the polite alarms do no wake me up!!

15. Midj
    posted on Feb 17, 2010 at 11:54 AM  |  reply

Just found your blog yesterday through Big Mama (yes, I am way behind but never skip ahead… :-)…) and quickly downloaded Sleep Cycle. Wow! My chart from last night was enlightening to say the least. I’m interested to see how it trends. Thanks for reviewing this and sharing.